Recent Topics

Ads

Ability System Rework.

Let's talk about... everything else
Kaelang

Ability System Rework.

Post#1 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:25 am

I wanted to drop a quick note in here as although we've been transparent with this and it's progress via Discord, Socials and often Patch Notes some people are still unaware of what's happening with Abilities overall right now. I'm not responsible for the back-end development and this is purely a thread to share the current status, so any tech heavy questions will likely be ignored. Not because I don't want to respond, but because there's no need to at this time. Therefore this will serve as an overarching thread of "why" and "when".

The basic overview is this... The entire ability system is being redeveloped from the ground up - the code. This overhaul will make it so the development team, as well as some of us who have some experience with that type of system, will be able to manage how the abilities are currently working. As of right now there's a number of systems that work with each other to produce the end result: the ability. The problem with this is that when it comes to producing fixes or implementing balance for example, it's extremely slow and there's multiple parts to doing something which means what should be a 'simpler' task is made much more tedious. The barrier to entry on understanding how this at the moment is high and it's something the rework looks to address.

Moving onto what I've seen discussed copious times. I'm going to start with Bugs. We are fully aware of the generic bugs, ability bugs, legacy bugs and class bugs. We know they are there and yes, we know they're annoying. As it stands right now, this rework is going to completely overhaul how all of this works, so to go in and work on fixing everything now, for it to very likely break again in the near future is not an efficient use of developer time. Critical ability bugs which alter gameplay substantially will still be addressed, but if an ability is just acting wonky then we're most-likely going to leave it wonky for a short while. It is to be known that when this overhaul is finally released, we will have a number of bugs so I'm starting the damage control on this extremely early so that your expectations can be managed.

Balance *shivers*. Yes, we're aware there hasn't been a substantial balance patch in a while. And although there's a few reasons, they point back to the fact this ability system coming out will result in the team being able to address balance at a more reliable and efficient pace. Shaking up the meta once in a while isn't bad, but it requires devotion from our side and our commitment to seeing it through, or we'll end up with issues propping up and no available time to address it. So again, as with the bugs, we do hear you asking for balance patches, and they will come, but we ask you to be patient whilst we're working on something big for the overall server.

To close this little PSA up, this rework has been ongoing for a number of months and has taken thousands of developer hours already. There's still a ways to go so please don't be expecting it within 2 weeks simply because I've written this up. The purpose here is to address people who are bringing up concerns with stagnant metas and bugs that are seemingly going unnoticed. As you have seen from recent patch notes, we do have team members working on new content, new player experience, questing, and generic updates.

We will be transparent as development continues but ask that players don't consistently request updates. As you know although we're a pretty transparent team, we're all volunteers and adding milestones just causes pressures that lead to burn-out and sub-optimal results. We have some incredible content, community events and ideas lined up already for the coming months and by that point we should be in a more comfortable spot to share some more details.

Okay /thread
DiscordFacebookTwitterInstagram

I play around with Social Media, troll our players on Discord and officially hate anyone who plays a dwarf.

Ads
Akalukz

Re: Ability System Rework.

Post#2 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:39 am

Thank you for the update, will be interesting to see how changes go once the system is reworked/released.
-= Agony =-

bradbury111

Post#3 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:40 am

Appreciate the trasparency also for whom use forum.
PvE team is doing an amazing job, didn't expect to be so fast into introducing the last quests for new players and veterans, although I'm scared of the PvP team, I can wait, no worries :P

Lileldys

Post#4 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:42 am

2 weeks confirmed (meme)

Sinisterror

Post#5 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:54 am

Thank you for telling us=) Praise Hail RoR Team!
"To clarify, me asking to developers to go test their own changes is not sign of toxicity or anger, but a sign of hope that the people punching in the numbers remain aware of potential consequences and test their own changes"-Teefz

SuperStar

Post#6 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:01 pm

Kaelang wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:25 am I wanted to drop a quick note in here as although we've been transparent with this and it's progress via Discord, Socials and often Patch Notes some people are still unaware of what's happening with Abilities overall right now. I'm not responsible for the back-end development and this is purely a thread to share the current status, so any tech heavy questions will likely be ignored. Not because I don't want to respond, but because there's no need to at this time. Therefore this will serve as an overarching thread of "why" and "when".

The basic overview is this... The entire ability system is being redeveloped from the ground up - the code. This overhaul will make it so the development team, as well as some of us who have some experience with that type of system, will be able to manage how the abilities are currently working. As of right now there's a number of systems that work with each other to produce the end result: the ability. The problem with this is that when it comes to producing fixes or implementing balance for example, it's extremely slow and there's multiple parts to doing something which means what should be a 'simpler' task is made much more tedious. The barrier to entry on understanding how this at the moment is high and it's something the rework looks to address.

Moving onto what I've seen discussed copious times. I'm going to start with Bugs. We are fully aware of the generic bugs, ability bugs, legacy bugs and class bugs. We know they are there and yes, we know they're annoying. As it stands right now, this rework is going to completely overhaul how all of this works, so to go in and work on fixing everything now, for it to very likely break again in the near future is not an efficient use of developer time. Critical ability bugs which alter gameplay substantially will still be addressed, but if an ability is just acting wonky then we're most-likely going to leave it wonky for a short while. It is to be known that when this overhaul is finally released, we will have a number of bugs so I'm starting the damage control on this extremely early so that your expectations can be managed.

Balance *shivers*. Yes, we're aware there hasn't been a substantial balance patch in a while. And although there's a few reasons, they point back to the fact this ability system coming out will result in the team being able to address balance at a more reliable and efficient pace. Shaking up the meta once in a while isn't bad, but it requires devotion from our side and our commitment to seeing it through, or we'll end up with issues propping up and no available time to address it. So again, as with the bugs, we do hear you asking for balance patches, and they will come, but we ask you to be patient whilst we're working on something big for the overall server.

To close this little PSA up, this rework has been ongoing for a number of months and has taken thousands of developer hours already. There's still a ways to go so please don't be expecting it within 2 weeks simply because I've written this up. The purpose here is to address people who are bringing up concerns with stagnant metas and bugs that are seemingly going unnoticed. As you have seen from recent patch notes, we do have team members working on new content, new player experience, questing, and generic updates.

We will be transparent as development continues but ask that players don't consistently request updates. As you know although we're a pretty transparent team, we're all volunteers and adding milestones just causes pressures that lead to burn-out and sub-optimal results. We have some incredible content, community events and ideas lined up already for the coming months and by that point we should be in a more comfortable spot to share some more details.

Okay /thread
Nice honest talking. That is what we need! Keep it up!

Minisynn

Post#7 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:07 pm

Thanks for letting us know what's happening behind the scenes, not hearing anything for months RE: the ability system rework is the concerning part so always grateful to get an update
Engineer enjoyer | Finnbarr/Fionnbharr | Finnmarr/Fionnbharra | Nightmare | Youtube

Whyumadbro

Post#8 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:56 pm

Thanks for the post, and much thanks for your time and work <3

Ads
Waaghtastic

Post#9 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:09 pm

Appreciate the transparency!

lemao

Post#10 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:34 pm

I think i speak for everyone when i say shield dok and shield wp needs to get deleted.