Recent Topics

Ads

Implement the 50% xp scrolls for those of us who like to quest/PvE

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
CozyFren

Re: Implement the 50% xp scrolls for those of us who like to quest/PvE

Post#11 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:43 pm

The “twink” argument for removing the exp scroll is invalid. Until you hit career rank 40 it is not possible to buy or equip anything above the Annihilator tier, which everyone in the mid tier has reasonable access to, no insane renown rank required.

Additionally, the rr points you can spend on your renown spec are also locked beyond a certain lvl until you ding CR40 so you can’t even “twink” your spec.

The only thing that removing the scrolls accomplished is ensuring it’s harder for allllll fresh 40s to not get utterly stomped. Now, without those scrolls, you have to essentially do rvr only in the mid tier - you even have to try to avoid scs because they give too much xp relative to renown - or else you are SCREWED when you hit 40 unless you run lvl 40 dungeons non stop to get sets equivalent to higher rvr sets. And for a lot of classes those pve sets are not correct for the build they want to run.

So your options today are:
1. Miss out on all mid tier pve and a lot of sc play and only play in orvr to make sure your rr is minimum 45 (but realistically most classes need to be 58 so they can wear Vanq).

2. Play the content as designed and have your rr be too low at CR40 to wear pvp sets that are good enough to keep you from getting deleted in the lakes.

3. Do option 2 but then have to stay out of the lakes for weeks (minimum) or maybe even months (if you’re NA or OCE and can’t get dungeon groups together more than once a week) and grind dungeon sets one after the other just to get to Vanq-adjacent pve set that then might gimp you anyway since the set is possibly not even designed for your mastery tree.

There ya go, I just debunked the entire anti-scroll misinformed argument. Change my mind (spoiler: you can’t).

Ads
Sinisterror

Post#12 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:50 pm

CozyFren wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:43 pm The “twink” argument for removing the exp scroll is invalid. Until you hit career rank 40 it is not possible to buy or equip anything above the Annihilator tier, which everyone in the mid tier has reasonable access to, no insane renown rank required.

Additionally, the rr points you can spend on your renown spec are also locked beyond a certain lvl until you ding CR40 so you can’t even “twink” your spec.

The only thing that removing the scrolls accomplished is ensuring it’s harder for allllll fresh 40s to not get utterly stomped. Now, without those scrolls, you have to essentially do rvr only in the mid tier - you even have to try to avoid scs because they give too much xp relative to renown - or else you are SCREWED when you hit 40 unless you run lvl 40 dungeons non stop to get sets equivalent to higher rvr sets. And for a lot of classes those pve sets are not correct for the build they want to run.

1. Miss out on all mid tier pve and a lot of sc play and only play in orvr to make sure your rr is minimum 45 (but realistically most classes need to be 58 so they can wear Vanq).

2. Play the content as designed and have your rr be too low at CR40 to wear pvp sets that are good enough to keep you from getting deleted in the lakes.

3. Do option 2 but then have to stay out of the lakes for weeks (minimum) or maybe even months (if you’re NA or OCE and can’t get dungeon groups together more than once a week) and grind dungeon sets one after the other just to get to Vanq-adjacent pve set that then might gimp you anyway since the set is possibly not even designed for your mastery tree.

There ya go, I just debunked the entire anti-scroll misinformed argument. Change my mind (spoiler: you can’t).
All true. I mainly do sc's in midtier and for 3 chars r30-33 rr30+. Well those 3 chars all dinged 40 and under rr40... And only did scs after scroll removal. Renown gain is laughable everywhere and this scroll removal really didnt do anything positive for anyone.
"To clarify, me asking to developers to go test their own changes is not sign of toxicity or anger, but a sign of hope that the people punching in the numbers remain aware of potential consequences and test their own changes"-Teefz

Avernus

Post#13 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:59 pm

Basically, let us stay 39 and stomp everything in midtier sc. Oh, and to do some quests while stomping ofc.

CozyFren

Post#14 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:02 pm

Avernus wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:59 pm Basically, let us stay 39 and stomp everything in midtier sc. Oh, and to do some quests while stomping ofc.
Basically, let me ignore all the facts presented in this thread. Oh and make snarky hyperbolic statement while attempting to “win” the argument ofc.
;)

Amdus

Post#15 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:11 am

CozyFren wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:43 pm The “twink” argument for removing the exp scroll is invalid. Until you hit career rank 40 it is not possible to buy or equip anything above the Annihilator tier, which everyone in the mid tier has reasonable access to, no insane renown rank required.

It's impossible to disagree indeed. The part that pissed me off the most was the fact that you effectively killed all PvE before R40. And don't even come up with the classic: "IT'S A RVR GAME, PVE IS FOR WOW LOSERS". Because this argument is beyond ridiculous. PvE is good because it expands the gameplay experience. Everything you do that limits the gameplay has dire consequences, especially since we are going through a rough time.

Kendaric

Post#16 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:08 am

Amdus wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:11 am The part that pissed me off the most was the fact that you effectively killed all PvE before R40. And don't even come up with the classic: "IT'S A RVR GAME, PVE IS FOR WOW LOSERS". Because this argument is beyond ridiculous. PvE is good because it expands the gameplay experience. Everything you do that limits the gameplay has dire consequences, especially since we are going through a rough time.
This is exactly the reason why I started the thread. RoR is more than a pure RvR game and it can't really afford to drive away more PvE-inclined players.

CozyFren

Post#17 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:03 am

Amdus wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:11 am
It's impossible to disagree indeed. The part that pissed me off the most was the fact that you effectively killed all PvE before R40. And don't even come up with the classic: "IT'S A RVR GAME, PVE IS FOR WOW LOSERS". Because this argument is beyond ridiculous. PvE is good because it expands the gameplay experience. Everything you do that limits the gameplay has dire consequences, especially since we are going through a rough time.
I agree with you completely. I’ll also add that on my tank, which I did zero pve on until Bastion Stair, tanking in a dungeon completely changed my understanding of how to play my class.

Tanking is actually meaningful in this game, way more so than any other mmo I’ve played, and to essentially punish upcoming tank players for working through pve content that teaches crucial aspects of the class, that’s a tragedy imo. Take one of the coolest details of this game and systemically gimp it by discouraging tank players to really deeply learn and understand all the awesome mitigation and management tools they have.

I feel I’m a more effective tank player in rvr now after doing dungeons. I know the mechanics are a bit different but understanding both the pvp and pve aspects of the class has helped me to strategize my moves better. It’s one of the main reasons I’m interested in this topic - I feel like I really missed out while leveling because I knew I had to focus on renown rank so I could put on vanq tier as fast as possible so I could be remotely effective in pvp.

CountTalabecland

Post#18 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:05 am

Either bring back the scrolls or nerf sov to bring it closer to Conq.

A 40/45 vs a player in Sov is just slaughter.

You can’t expect new ppl or new toons to grind to rank 40 just to be NPCs for the slaughter against geared players.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

Ads
shrredhn

Post#19 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:31 am

Phantasm wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:12 pm
bw10 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:49 pm
Kendaric wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:17 pm As the title says... it would be nice to have the scrolls that reduce your xp gain by 50%. They existed on live and were a good option for any players interested in questing and/or doing pqs for gear to prevent outleveling content.

Another item I'd love to see implemented again is the "Eternal 39" scroll.
These were deleted for a reason.

Reason was veteran players farming players effortlessly in scs for weeks. Imagine getting destroyed every day by same choppa/slayer/melee squig who racks up 15-20 kills every scenario and farms ur spaw
Pug stomping in mid tier scenarios is not acceptable, in t4 is just fine :)
Especially in t2 where everyone has access to the exact same gear for their level. Those darn 39s in their mercanary gear were just too powerful.

However, totally fine for 85s in sov to run premades against those merc geared players at 40.

Only thing to make t2 more balanced would be move some skills like group heal down to lvl16. Start getting mastery points every level around lvl11 so by 25 you can have a 13point skill quicker. Healers are clearly better in their late 20s / early 30s than at 17 in full keepers.

They were mad people were able to hit rr60 and join t4 in full vanq/invader. Forcing people to join t4 sooner helped the sc pop rate in t4 nothing else.

rejndjer
Suspended

Post#20 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:06 am

remove xp bonus to weekend scenario. who needs xp bonus in this game?

also, make some kind of "new player quest" that triggers at levels 30-35 that gives them BIS talismans for those levels. also like 20x bonus stats pots+armor pots and hp pots. main reason why twinks would stomp over newbies in mid-tier is because they have good talismans in all their gear + use pots/linis, while newbies maybe have one or two talis in gear, and mostly never use pots.

for r40 that are rr<58, make some kind of special pot that gives them good stats like +dodge/block/parry, +crit etc. make that pot stack with armor pot and linis.