Recent Topics

Ads

Chatbox Setup Copying

Here you can post addons, or anything related to addons.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Svartypops

Chatbox Setup Copying

Post#1 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:05 pm

Hi there,

I'm some random joe shmoe, the generic player who knows nothing about how difficult/easy modding this game is.

I note that mods might be written in LUA - I know nothing about that, I've done a bit of C# and Python but that's about it. If I had time, and tutorials, I can work out how to mod stuff.

I need to know before I do embark upon this learning process;
Would it be possible to copy the chatbox settings from one character to another using an addon?

Thanks in advance.

I'd also appreciate any pointers to tutorials that might help me too. Thanks again.

Ads
Omegus

Re: Chatbox Setup Copying

Post#2 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:31 am

Do you just want to share UI profiles between characters (which can be done in-game as the client supports it), or do you actually need to copy just the chat box configuration from one character to another?

edit: assuming you want to do something fancy: I don't believe it's possible to get the settings from another profile on demand but providing both characters have your addon loaded then you can save a copy of that user's chat settings when they log out to a global settings area, and then read those saved settings from the global area on a different character.

The per-character chat settings are stored in this lua file: "user\settings\Martyrs Square\CHARACTER\CHARACTER\EA_ChatWindow\SavedVariables.lua". In-game, you can access these by accessing the global variable named "ChatSettings". Open up that lua file for an idea of how it works.

Your addon could save a copy of these settings when the character logs off in the "global" settings folder which is shared by all characters using the addon. You could name the lua table something like MyAddon.CHARACTERNAME.ChatSettings, where "CHARACTERNAME" is... you guessed it.

Each addon has a .mod file which specifies some basic stuff, including which tables to save when the character logs out. That is also where you specify if it's a global table or not. The game will take care of the rest. Example, for the "Pure" addon:

Code: Select all

<SavedVariables>
      <SavedVariable name="PureDB" global="true" />
    </SavedVariables>
Pure saves a table named "PureDB" in the global settings, so any character using the Pure addon has access to those settings.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Svartypops

Re: Chatbox Setup Copying

Post#3 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:33 pm

Oh that's great info, thanks a lot Omegus :)

At the moment I'm just after copying the colours and filters across characters. I was told in-game that they are saved server-side which seemed super-bizarre to me, but not impossible. It's evidently not.

The info you provided means I can do it easily. Thanks again.