Recent Topics

Ads

DPS WP or DoK

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
ranvealiu

DPS WP or DoK

Post#1 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:10 pm

So rn I am about to make a decision, I have a rr40/40 wp and a rr40/40 dok, I will play them as chalice/book until I can get Bloodlord than will swap to dps spec but I cannot select one. They seem really similar on paper, I know all their differences tactics etc. but I dont know how they feel/play with better gear/rr. So my question to higher rr dps doks/wps which one is better for you and why ? Thanks in advance.

Ads
inoeth
Suspended

Re: DPS WP or DoK

Post#2 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:38 pm

i recently played dps dok to rr50 and am in bloodlord. right now i feel like retireing him again because its too squishy. dieing in a kd is just no fun and with all the adding in the lakes i rarely get any fair fight. might be alot better in victorious/sov/war gear though.
also i do not see many dps dok out there but alot of dps wp.

even though this is again a bot post, i like to hear opinions on this topic :D

Valfaros

Post#3 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:26 pm

DPS dok used to be very good and way ahead of dps wp. However lately I have not seen many around dps doks around. The ones I did see were good given a full premade was build around them. Otherwise wasn't impressed by anyone I saw. DPS WPs are around abit more often. However neither did I find those very impressive altough they can deal quite a good punch while relativly though if they catch you and you happen to have no guard.

From my previous experiences dok was always quite fun and viable enough before my break (a year or so). However, since I started again they have removed or changed some things that were fun about the spec before. Certain issues with the spec got better but for example I always used to play with aoe detaunt to be somewhat viable without a guard or in 1/3/2 setups. Not possible anymore. They also removed the aoe healdebuff which was the only reason to be played in bigger setups. Further the utility of the spec got reduced by adding the shield requirement to certain skills, same with the off sov set that brought an amazing utility skill which is now locked behind shield dok. So since you don't remotly throw the punch of other dps classes it is kinda "well why would you pick it over true dps." The answer is pretty clear in the community, you don't.

So conclusion:
Don't know I guess dps wp brings a better wounds buff for utility and has similar dps with higher hits than dok. Given that you see it around more I'd say atm I'd rather pick that. However honestly the difference does not seem to be big at all anymore. Play what feels like more fun.

I see that it is a bot post but would actually also be intressted how other doks/wps currently see it.

Florian90210

Post#4 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:47 pm

If you want to roam RvR solo, then I don't think it's a good idea. There are no fair fights, usually your enemies are bunch of WEs, Shamans and squigs.(or their mirrors) And you have nothing to fight them really. In SCs you will get constant hate because you don't heal. In RvR you're too squishy to fight. So you need a premade or tank friend which will be OK with your dps build.

Scottx125

Post#5 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:54 am

I can only speak from a WP perspective, but no. It's not good. Too squishy, doesn't bring anything to WB's so nobody wants you, and does less damage than other DPS. So you really have no niche to excel in. Even in small scale. Devs need to rework the DPS spec to decide what they want it to be, a debuffer with damage, a tanky DPS, or a DPS (with ST or AoE focus, I'd prefer AOE).

Grace/Wrath kinda works, but you need to go full DPS and you're not actually playing to do damage, you're just hitting stuff to heal, what little DPS you do is to support your main DPSer. Grace/Wrath only works in small scale well, in ORVR it'll just get annihilated.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

Dackjanielz

Post#6 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:50 pm

Yeah i think Wrath priest needs the same treatment that 2H knight has.
Even when a knight is in conquest build with a big sword he can still perform his role as a tank, its just a different way of performing it.

Wrath priest on the other hand has no healing or utility at all and the DPS he offers is 75% of what a dps class does - so whats the point?
Its awkward.

DPS DOK on the other hand has an Aura snare and a M1 heal the group ability, that appears to bring something to the table at least.

Scottx125

Post#7 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:14 pm

I'd say no even 75%. I've seen Slayers/WL/Engi's pump out +50% more damage. Obviously AOE spec but that's irrelevant. The only ST focus DPS classes either have amazing mobility to get in and out of combat quickly, hit hard and are very squish. Or have stealth. And yeah, the healing is pretty much non-existent on Wrath. Hell, even DPS KOTBS is rubbish, it used to be good when runefang wasn't nerfed and it has the tactic to convert all damage to elemental. That IMO should be kinda what wrath is, convert all physical damage to spirit damage and add a charge feature to make it a DPS. Or, keep the damage the same, and ramp up how tanky it is. Make it like a KOTBS 2h is right now, a somewhat tanky debuffer (KOTBS 2h is only a debuffer atm, worst damage of all tanks).
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

Dackjanielz

Post#8 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:01 pm

Scottx125 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:14 pm I'd say no even 75%. I've seen Slayers/WL/Engi's pump out +50% more damage. Obviously AOE spec but that's irrelevant. The only ST focus DPS classes either have amazing mobility to get in and out of combat quickly, hit hard and are very squish. Or have stealth. And yeah, the healing is pretty much non-existent on Wrath. Hell, even DPS KOTBS is rubbish, it used to be good when runefang wasn't nerfed and it has the tactic to convert all damage to elemental. That IMO should be kinda what wrath is, convert all physical damage to spirit damage and add a charge feature to make it a DPS. Or, keep the damage the same, and ramp up how tanky it is. Make it like a KOTBS 2h is right now, a somewhat tanky debuffer (KOTBS 2h is only a debuffer atm, worst damage of all tanks).
Absolutely yeah.

Knights conquest tree brings very little dmg to the table however he does bring many other good things, such as a mega punt on a short cooldown, a big bebuffer and an impressive AOE snare....AND he retains the ability to stay alive pretty damn well which is good for guarding and delivering these things.

Wrath priest brings mediocre DPS and that's about it from what i can gather.
Divine assault should be in the Wrath tree perhaps, its already mostly a selfish ability which CAN be used on one other at times, most already play this way.
Grace already has other healing tools such as divine strike and the shield slam thing.

Some may disagree with this - fair enough - its just an idea i'm throwing at the wall.

Ads
Lilim

Post#9 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:53 pm

ranvealiu wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:10 pm So rn I am about to make a decision, I have a rr40/40 wp and a rr40/40 dok, I will play them as chalice/book until I can get Bloodlord than will swap to dps spec but I cannot select one. They seem really similar on paper, I know all their differences tactics etc. but I dont know how they feel/play with better gear/rr. So my question to higher rr dps doks/wps which one is better for you and why ? Thanks in advance.
Awesome.... From account creation to this post...inbetween these 7 minutes you played a wp to 40/40 and a dok to 40/40... Impressive.

agemennon675

Post#10 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:18 pm

Lilim wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:53 pm
ranvealiu wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:10 pm So rn I am about to make a decision, I have a rr40/40 wp and a rr40/40 dok, I will play them as chalice/book until I can get Bloodlord than will swap to dps spec but I cannot select one. They seem really similar on paper, I know all their differences tactics etc. but I dont know how they feel/play with better gear/rr. So my question to higher rr dps doks/wps which one is better for you and why ? Thanks in advance.
Awesome.... From account creation to this post...inbetween these 7 minutes you played a wp to 40/40 and a dok to 40/40... Impressive.
This is actually my post on reddit but for some reason bots are copying those into the forums
Destruction: 40-BG / 40-DoK / 40-Chosen / 37-Mara / 37/Sorc / 36-SH / 36-Choppa / 24-Shaman / 16-WE
Order: 40-SW / 40-SM / 40-WP / 40-WL / 39-Kotbs / 38-BW / 33-AM / 22-WH / 16-RP / 12-Slayer