Recent Topics

Ads

Range measurement addons

Here you can post addons, or anything related to addons.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Cyrylius

Range measurement addons

Post#1 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:54 am

Is there an addon that generates a visual marker(s) that exist, say, 30 feet away from your character (or any other distance/s) to help with AoE skill radiuses? I don't think I've seen something like that, but I feel like it would make playing some AoE classes easier.
RoR doesnt deserve being taken seriously.

Ads
xpander
Community Management

Re: Range measurement addons

Post#2 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:28 am

TargetInfoRing shows distances but its not updated that rapidly so it shows ranges:

https://gitlab.com/nwwdles/war-addons/- ... etinforing

old picture:
Spoiler:
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Omegus

Post#3 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:02 am

Cyrylius wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:54 am Is there an addon that generates a visual marker(s) that exist, say, 30 feet away from your character (or any other distance/s) to help with AoE skill radiuses? I don't think I've seen something like that, but I feel like it would make playing some AoE classes easier.
I looked into creating something similar to this a long time ago, but unfortunately you can only get the top-down XY coordinates for the player (for the mini-map) and not the Z coordinate for height, so actually using the client's limited ability to convert world coordinates to screen coordinates is impossible as you're missing one of the 3 needed world coordinates.

The plan was to use the full position of the player to then create a ring of coordinates around that spot, and then use the client's WorldToScreen function to determine where those appear on screen. And then a lot of UI ugliness to get lines joining the points together.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

xpander
Community Management

Post#4 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:05 am

Ahh that explains why targetringinfo gives weird readings from time to time :D
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

WarriorOfAlliance

Post#5 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:59 am

Exist one more addon which show range named RVMOD_Targets but show range wrong too, on enemys and friendly players target show range completly wrong, on enemy NPC show distance taken from abilityes range 5ft/65ft~/Far, on static NPC with one you can interact buy/sell/quests show accurate range

Cyrylius

Post#6 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:15 pm

Yes, i know all those addons, but even setting aside the clunkiness i dont have the APM for checking every target i want to dot for range before they change positions. I meant something as simple as showing a ground based target ring centered on you with radius of X would be enough, it already tracks the terrain and wors fairly well, the only question is how customizable is it.
RoR doesnt deserve being taken seriously.

Omegus

Post#7 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:56 pm

xpander wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:05 am Ahh that explains why targetringinfo gives weird readings from time to time :D
Target ring gets its range info by checking to see which of your abilities are in range or not (can't get the exact distance, just a yes or no answer) and then guessing.

If someone knows of a way to get the full 3d coordinate of the player then I can probably make the add-on that OP wants. Without it, the add-on is impossible.

Fenris78

Post#8 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:59 pm

RVMod is doing fine for the job, at least for ranged classes it shows the range "increments" from all your abilities (100ft/65ft/45/5ft etc.), then you know the exact moment you are in range from your target, wich is the one thing you need to know TBH.

Allies got a fair and working realtime range meter wich is very useful when playing in small group.

Only limitation is the clunky Z-axis, you never really know if you are in range or not when you are n a different level than your target. Need some testing and experience to guess correctly.

Ads
thiefy

Post#9 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:44 pm

Why do i read the OP differently? From his post i conclude that he is searching for an addon that creates a STATIC visual effect (circle) of said range centered on HIS character so that he can easily see who is in range of his xx ft RADIUS pbaoe.
yes i'm toxic but i speak the "truth"
(disclaimer: "truth" is subjective to a person's point of view and possible personal interest)
congratulations! your vision is perfect!
rly? don't you have anything better to do?

Omegus

Post#10 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:15 pm

thiefy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:44 pm Why do i read the OP differently? From his post i conclude that he is searching for an addon that creates a STATIC visual effect (circle) of said range centered on HIS character so that he can easily see who is in range of his xx ft RADIUS pbaoe.
That is exactly what is being asked for. I think people just read the thread title...