Recent Topics

Ads

Easiest class to not be horrible with ?

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
oldenkafe

Easiest class to not be horrible with ?

Post#1 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:14 pm

Hey all long story short, I tried the game for a couple of hours and love it so far.

My profile : older gamer and was never very good at games to begin with. Solo and casual because work + family life make it so I cannot play with any kind of coordinated/premade group.

My questions : as in title, what would be the lowest skill floor class in PvP not to be horrible with, particularly solo and in uncoordinated groups ? I usually enjoy healing/tanking and dwarves more but I'm open to anything.

Finally last question : crafting/professions for a casual : yay or nay and if yay which professions ?

Really final bonus question : I read somewhere that there was an item that you could get to dramatically reduce your XP gain (I love slow leveling) but I cannot find the info anymore. Where can I get that item ?

Thanks in advance

Ads
bw10

Re: Easiest class to not be horrible with ?

Post#2 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:23 pm

oldenkafe wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:14 pm Hey all long story short, I tried the game for a couple of hours and love it so far.

My profile : older gamer and was never very good at games to begin with. Solo and casual because work + family life make it so I cannot play with any kind of coordinated/premade group.

My questions : as in title, what would be the lowest skill floor class in PvP not to be horrible with, particularly solo and in uncoordinated groups ? I usually enjoy healing/tanking and dwarves more but I'm open to anything.

Finally last question : crafting/professions for a casual : yay or nay and if yay which professions ?

Really final bonus question : I read somewhere that there was an item that you could get to dramatically reduce your XP gain (I love slow leveling) but I cannot find the info anymore. Where can I get that item ?

Thanks in advance
Classes:
Healer: Runepriest is easier than Warrior Priest in my opinion, because its only resource is AP.
Tank: Knight is effective even if all you do is follow your guard target. Auras are that good.

Other heal and tanks have a lot more going on than above and demand much more input to do well with

XP scrolla are gone from the game.

oaliaen

Post#3 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:15 pm

Slayer

kotb

chosen

BO

Cyrylius

Post#4 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:18 pm

Runepriest/zealot are easy, yes. Dok/WP are not at far behind however, being pretty tanky and requiring less micromanagement to get good healing numbers. Tanks in general have the highest skill celling in RoR, and unfortunately for you IB is THE most complicated one, but as long as you don't play organized you should be fine with any tank after installing the guardpack addon. Crafting is a mixed bag, but assuming you don't plan on any pve cultivation/apo is a great base profession mix, as you get healing potions from it.
RoR doesnt deserve being taken seriously.

Hugatsaga

Post#5 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:04 pm

If you like dwarves and tanks then ironbreaker is obviously way to go. Runepriest is solid class too and kind of straightforward healer but you have to worry about your positioning and surviving under pressure. Go whichever you feel like more. Conventional wisdom states that tank has high skill ceiling but it really depends on setting: If you are doing tryhard small scale premades, then skill ceiling for a tank is higher than most classes and IB has a lot of buttons to press (ie lots of decisions at every turn and lot of muscle memory to build) so its one of the hardest class to master. But you said you dont have time for that kind of content.

If you want to do open rvr in some laid back warband setting, you can go shield IB, put a guard on friendly melee dps or bomb specced range dps and make sure you are next to him and then press hold the line, challenge, defensive morale like distracting bellow and aoe snare and you are already valuable member in your warband. Thats like 6 buttons to press and rest is worrying about your positioning. Its not optimal but it's decent. Although if you play semi-afk warband tank like that, you are better off playing kotbs/chosen because they can do the same plus give passive buffs to group members because of their class mechanic.

Ironbreakers really shine in smaller scale setting (anything between 1-6 players) with 2h, being tank but dishing out lot of dmg, buffing their allies with single target buffs and controlling their enemies but thats lot of buttons to press and will be overwhelming for new player and this is when the skill cap/difficulty argument comes in play. It's great solo class as well but requires lot of awareness and you have lot of buttons to press. But that shouldn't prevent you for playing it. Warbands always appreciate any tank who do their basic job well (guard, challenge, defensive morale, hold the line etc).
Live: Daeneria, Polestar
RoR: Calmdown, Goldman, Kohta, Madguard, Magnumforce, Northsorc, Northstar etc
Youtube

Tanski

Post#6 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:29 pm

Chosen/kotbs - easiest tanks in the game and also the best, needed in every group

wp/dok - not as good as the other healers but very easy to play, group heal/bubble/cleanse spam, medium armor. Rp is a better option but you will have to learn to kite

Apothecary with either afk cultivating or killing mobs butchering for profs - make pots get gold. Butchering will be more gold but its actually active. You can also suffer GB runs and try to make gold in events
75+ BG
80 Choppa/slyer
80 wl
70 + sm
70 bw/sorc
80 wh, we
60 sham/am

shrredhn

Post#7 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:08 am

Chosen/knight. You can click on 3 auras and get by with like 5 abilities if you had to.

Guard
Taunt/Challenge
Snare/ravage

You're not going to be the most amazing chosen out there but whatever.

Scottx125

Post#8 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:13 am

Really depends. Healers, easy to play well. But a good healer is hard to come by. Tanks, one of the most complex archtypes in the game. That being said the easiest is KOTBS. DPS, unless you play range, stealth or a DPS that can get in and out of danger fast. You're going to suffer without support. And you need to know what targets you should be hitting in order to be most effective.

If you were a beginner, I'd say play a healer. If you're going Order, play a RP, it has great heals, simple rotation, can cast on the move and is most effective at range. WP is probably in general the best group/warband healer, BUT it requires getting very close to the front, has resource management and even with medium armour if you don't know what you're doing you'll die a lot. AM has the potential to be the best healer but it needs the right group setup and build, it's also the more complex of the order healers to play.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

Ads
Fallenkezef

Post#9 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:31 am

oldenkafe wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:14 pm Hey all long story short, I tried the game for a couple of hours and love it so far.

Thanks in advance
Your profile matches mine. 42, married, teenage kid, full time job.

Firstly, don't worry overmuch about the group stuff, I did and it turned out not to be that much of an issue tbh. I'm part of a big guild that accepts casuals and accomodates all levels of play and there are plenty of guilds like that!

The Dwarves, luckily enough, are all classes that are pretty simple to play on a basic level. Now they are all harder to play solo than most but do shine any kind of group be it organised or a rough and ready pug. Also the resources for for new players on the Dwarf section in regards to builds and ways to play is amazing!
My main is an IB, yeah it's a bit like a piano with allot of buttons but you level into them and it's actualy quite intuitive which abilities to use and you quickly get a feel for how you want to play and buff.

The thing about the Dwarf classes, from a casual point of view, they are all good enough to be a benefit to your group with minimum input. IB is a good guard and AP generator, Slayer and Engineer can be built to be decent AOE spam and the Runepriest is the basic healer. You can put ALLOT of effort into playa and gear to get to the very top levels of play like others have. But you don't have to, they are great "good enough" classes to enjoy the game and have fun.

Here's a few links to help if you go the Dwarf route:

For all Dwarf classes:

viewtopic.php?t=29315

The Ironbreaker bible:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yaT ... MZ-go/edit
Alea iacta est

vanbuinen77

Post#10 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:07 am

Shaman
Malificatium-Magus
Malificatiiium-Chosen
Malificatiium-Shaman