Recent Topics

Ads

Fixing Scenarios

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Caduceus

Fixing Scenarios

Post#1 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:27 pm

Hello,

Just some straight-forward proposals to improve scenarios. Please read until the end, because the proposals should be understood in relation to each other.

1. Make it possible to queue for scenarios with the maximum numbers of players allowed in the scenario.

If a scenario holds a maximum of 12 players, make it possible to queue with a 12-man warband.

There's nothing more frustrating and demotivating than putting in the effort of getting a 6-man together, only to be greeted by double premades while the other group on your side is comprised of only pugs without healers. It's an instant loss. It's not fun. It's a waste of time.

I know some devs mistakenly believe that people don't group up out of laziness. No, this ^ is the reason. It simply doesn't pay off.

Letting players queue with more than a 6-man would open up new avenues of play like 12v12. Relatively accessible, challenging and something different from 6v6, which is unappealing to a lot of players for various reasons (though personally I like it).

2. Make the system create more scenarios, rather than bigger ones.

The more scenarios that are being created, the more variety the players will encounter in terms of opposition. RoR's small playerbase is the source of many issues, and by creating more scenarios with fewer people, it is alleviated.

When the same team is dominating every scenario, it makes people quit. "Killing the queue" as we call it.

I realize this suggestion is at odds with point 1, but should also be seen in relation to point 3 that follows. Assuming a 12-man isn't the only group queueing, a system that tries to create more scenarios will at least provide the possibility of getting matched against different opposition. The problem of one-sided stomps isn't solved, but at least there's a higher chance of meeting different opposition every match.

3. Introduce non-ranked 6v6 scenario modes.

Some devs here mistakenly believe that Ranked failed because players are not interested in a challenge. This is nonsense. Literally every player I know wants a good fight above anything else, but since good fights are exceedingly rare and hardly rewarded, many will go for the next best alternative which is one-sided stomps in their favor, which also yield more rewards.

The reason Ranked failed is because:
A. Ranked lacked the playerbase to alleviate the issue I have named under point 2,
B. It failed to provide new players the vital stepping stones to get on the appropriate level,
C. It failed to provide positive incentive to overcome the hurdles under A and B,
thus ensuring the most important problem, point A, could never be resolved.

Non-ranked 6v6 scenarios, both solo q and grouped, should have been in the game since the launch of Ranked. They should have rewards higher than regular scenarios (and 6v6 higher than solo q), but lower than actual Ranked.

Prior to Ranked there was a test done with 6v6 scenarios, which I believe were solo q only. This was an excellent place to learn, and the place where I personally was introduced to the dynamics of 6v6 that I had never encountered in regular play. The cherry ontop was that it gave good rewards so not only was I learning the game, I was also speeding up my character progress. (Positive incentive, write that down, devs)

This should be re-introduced to the game.

Thanks for reading,

Caduceus
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Ads
Everdin

Re: Fixing Scenarios

Post#2 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:35 pm

Some people facing a life crisis because others can que with 6 man, you propose queing with 12...

There will be some angry snowflakes here!
#AllClassesMatter

“A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.”

― John Burroughs

Kpi

Post#3 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:03 pm

queue as 6+ group is very necesary
Spoiler:
Kpihuss -- WP 88
Kpithrogrim -- IB 83
Kpigaragrim -- Slayer 81
Kpikossar -- SW 77
Kpirmedes -- RP 68+
Kpiboris -- KOTBS 65+

Scottx125

Post#4 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:43 pm

I agree with more smaller SC's rather than fewer bigger one's. Max size should be 2 groups imo. But I don't agree with being able to queue a 12 man into a SC. 6 man should be the max, SC's aren't about massed grouped combat, it's about small scale combat. Individual groups fighting each other. 2 6 man groups from the same guild is just going to destroy anyone who also isn't in a 2 6 man group. Even a single 6 man pre-made.

And as far as I recall, isn't there a 6v6 SC already? Non-ranked? Something I'd like to see is an arena added to the game where players can watch duels, 6v6, 12v12, 18v18 and 24v24. And add a custom menu that allows you to queue and face other guilds and stuff. Not ranked, just competitive. And have there be different rewards or bets players can make as to the outcome of the fights with in game gold.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

chookette

Post#5 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:46 pm

Everdin wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:35 pm Some people facing a life crisis because others can que with 6 man, you propose queing with 12...

"Life crisis" but what disdain!

Scenarios wouldn't have a problem if full groups weren't fighting with non-full groups. opening to 12s can be a good idea if and only if they fall against other 12s.

wachlarz

Post#6 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:46 pm

Yes make 24. guild premade vs 24 pugs on sc. No need to chase a dam pug whole map or worse to warcamp and no kills.

Caduceus

Post#7 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:25 am

While I understand people's hesitancy when it comes to introducing 12-man warbands into SCs, it should not be problematic if options are created for players to queue for different types of scenarios, like solo and 6v6.

The real suggestion here is basically adding more variety, while still making the rewards reflect the effort required.

Some may argue that RoR doesn't have the player base to accomodate such variety, but I disagree. I think the lack of variety actually produces this apparent lack of players, because it pushes people out of certain game modes.

If players have a place to go, they will keep playing instead of logging off in wait for better circumstances.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

Sulorie

Post#8 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:39 am

chookette wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:46 pm
Everdin wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:35 pm Some people facing a life crisis because others can que with 6 man, you propose queing with 12...

"Life crisis" but what disdain!

Scenarios wouldn't have a problem if full groups weren't fighting with non-full groups. opening to 12s can be a good idea if and only if they fall against other 12s.
How high you would rate your chances getting matched with another 12 man?
The bigger your group, the less likely you will get matched with a similar group on enemy side.
Dying is no option.

Ads
Caduceus

Post#9 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:59 am

Sulorie wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:39 am
How high you would rate your chances getting matched with another 12 man?
The bigger your group, the less likely you will get matched with a similar group on enemy side.

People make 24-man warbands in RvR and city, don't they? So why not 12-man?

In my opinion, this could easily be successful if a sensible reward system was implemented that seeks to reward people for the work they put in. Currently this is not the case, which is a topic I have made another thread about: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=50483

If the reward system is sensible, people will automatically be drawn towards organizing 12-man to increase their chance of said rewards, just like people are drawn towards making 6-mans now. The problem now however is that in regular SCs the people who put in the effort to create a 6-man are still subjected entirely to the luck of the draw, and the system works in a way that basically makes people work harder for the same rewards during prime-time. This is a double whammy in terms of disincentivizing players from playing.

The reward system is poorly designed. There are no two ways about it.

Ninjagon

Post#10 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:31 pm

Premades of 6 are stomping the scenarios already and you wanna create 12-man to conquer all?
Nonsence.
It will be very unlikely that you will fight against another 12-man or two 6 man. Instead with 12, you will farm anyone else.
I remember how it is to fight Garamar's two 6 man, queuing simultaneously. Not fun.
Ninjab - The White Lion. No Destruction character. RETRIBUTION guild.
Also: Velmires - WP, Carnow - KotbS, Ninjagon - BW, Nynja - SW, Stin - WH, and others.
Spoiler: