Recent Topics

Ads

making SC instance generate AFTER everyone hit 'join'

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
mynban

making SC instance generate AFTER everyone hit 'join'

Post#1 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:10 am

During a discussion on a different thread about
ability to queue with multiple characters on your roster at the same time (to enable a much better pool of characters for MM algorithm with same number of players), someone pointed out a serious issue in SCs.
Bosli wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:26 am It's already pretty normal that at least one player / duo / premade on at least one team joins at the last few seconds because they were roaming and in combat, or some other reason, and they are not loaded in before the first fight happens. That first fight, players are almost never smart enough to skip if they are outnumbered, even if they are only half numbers, which often leads to respawn-desync and continuous feeding, and/or players already giving up and wait at spawn.
Many people were quick to agree with him that being the a very common situation. I have also seen many matches that were supposed to start as 6v6 where one team would have just 4 players. Or a 10vs10 starting with 7 players on one side. While the smart thing to do is not leaving base at 15:00 start and waiting for other players to join, issue is that there is absolutely no certainty about anyone else actually coming in. Also given early capture importance of BO on so many maps (think of Temple of Isha for example) you are damned if you wait it out.

On many games I played, the way 'JOIN' button works is like that; once game finds enough people the UI with join button appears, people who hit 'join' gives confirmation that they are there. Once game receives the confirmation from everyone (or the minimum treshold it expects), only then game instance is actually generated and players are sent in. If the number of players hitting 'join' is not enough that instance does not start, and players are automatically sent back to queue.

On the other hand, in RoR it works like this; the moment game finds enough people the SC instance is generated, and the moment a player hits the 'join' button they are sent in.

I dont know the technical structure of RoR SC instance generation, but if it is a possibility I think changing the system would make SC balances better.

Ads