Recent Topics

Ads

Returning player. What to play?

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.
wookies

Returning player. What to play?

Post#1 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:19 pm

Hey all!

Have played this game ages ago and just saw this project which is really awesome! I'm keen to get into it and I'd like to have a social approach (since it's a mmorpg and all).

I know that race and class matters a lot, in play style and balance ofcourse. So this is the reason of me making this post.

What would you say I should play? Taking need for a certain class to fill a gap in mind.

Thanks in advance!

Ads
Ninjagon

Re: Returning player. What to play?

Post#2 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:25 pm

Hello wookies!
Order: Tanks > heals > slayers > everything else
Destro: Well I am not a perfect advisor for that. :-)
Ninjab - The White Lion. No Destruction character. RETRIBUTION guild.
Also: Velmires - WP, Carnow - KotbS, Ninjagon - BW, Nynja - SW, Stin - WH, and others.
Spoiler:

Fallenkezef

Post#3 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:33 pm

What is your play style? Killing stuff, healing stuff, supporting stuff?
Alea iacta est

wookies

Post#4 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:36 pm

Thanks for responding.

I specifically didn't share my preferred playstyle to not steer the answers.

It happens to be tanking so that matches with the needs!

Fallenkezef

Post#5 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:19 pm

wookies wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:36 pm Thanks for responding.

I specifically didn't share my preferred playstyle to not steer the answers.

It happens to be tanking so that matches with the needs!
Chosen/Knight: Easiest tanks, your ability is based around auras so works when you afk. Simple rotations, easy to start with.

SM/BO: I have no clue about them, never played the class.

IB/BG: Complicated piano classes, lots of abilities, many situational you have to decide on the fly, great fun. I'm an IB main, IB's are buff bots/utility while BG are debuff/utility and can be quite nasty in a 2h damage build.
Alea iacta est

bittrio

Post#6 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:24 pm

Tanks and Heals both sides.
78 Shaman
45 Chosen
40 Squig Herder
40 Bright Wizard

Digital dollars are free to create.

Cyrylius

Post#7 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:22 am

All healer classes are good options, they will let you get some experience without needing to get into the melee.
Tanks are rather complicated to play, possibly fun but try to watch some guides/read smth about how they are supposed to play in RoR, entire archetype is introduced to a new player in a way that makes comprehending the core tasks and purpose of tanks very hard and complicated for someone who just rolls one and reads what abilities are gained with level ups.
Ranged dps are fun and easy to play, but require a lot of knowledge to get best results. pick one if you like it, but i generally advise against starting with one due to gear dependence on higher RR and the knowledge requirement.
Melee dps are very unfun without a proper support (that you wont get), and require even more knowledge than ranged counterparts, until very late in the game. I advise heavily against, picking a melee dps as a first toon and levelling it to the point where it can be relatively painless to use in orvr content or SCs will take a lot of time and tears. if you do decide on one i recommend searching forums for any up to date (reasonably) guides on how to play one, and ask a lot of questions in /ad chat.
To sum it up: all healer classes are in my opinion very easy to play while providing much more engaging gameplay than it is usual for the archetypes, you should be fine with any of those.
Besides what i already mentioned tanks are a solid choice too, however chosen/kotbs and BO/SM are a bit easier to play than the other 2 (also, BO is currently not exactly meta). And then IB is visibly more demanding than BG. Regardless of that all 6 are decent picks provided you did some research on tankplay on this server.
Magus/engi are pretty forgiving and strong in low to mid tier brackets, but fall off hard in t4. both are fine for a first toon, but will ultimately get really hard to get the most from - and still fall behind other dps classes in various situations. SH/SW and sorc/bw are strong but really squishy. All 4 will require you to learn proper positioning fast, and either assisting or target priority. I'm not recommending anyone to start with any of the 6, but it will be likely a decently fun experience at least occasionally.
Melee classes require the most experience with general battle flow in RoR. Marauder and WL are slightly easier to play thanks to superior tankiness/mobility respectively. WE/WH require extensive knowlesge about classes and game in general to get good results, and are squshy to make it worse. Slayer/choppa are squishy and pidgeonholed into frontline dps role as opposed to stealthers, thus requiring the most support of all classes to get the damage done. Playing any of those classes in lower tiers with no group will be painful for almost every player, which is counterbalanced by melee classes getting really dominant in late game, in both large and smallscale. I do still advise to pick marauder or WL before any of the other 2 mirrors, they are more forgiving and less specialized.
RoR doesnt deserve being taken seriously.

Stelios123

Post#8 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:26 pm

Uninstall Wizard, my guild and alliance members love it.

Ads