Recent Topics

Ads

Starting up a new server.

Let's talk about... everything else
HellKeeper

Re: Starting up a new server.

Post#31 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:43 am

we players are wondering what we can do to help the server get rid of DDos attacks. Answer: to help DDos hackers to kill blizzard sources and attacks stopped.

Ads
z0mb13n1nja

Post#32 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:01 am

Hey if you're starting up a new server I'll join, I still want to play RoR but an alt wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Specially if you can keep it mostly hack free and have some serious ddos protection.

Smitch

Post#33 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:33 am

Genisaurus wrote:If you think you can work around those things, then good luck and godspeed. Enjoy spending the rest of your time wondering why the client supports little interest management, or tracking down the daily five new accounts of the one idiot gold-seller-wannabe who can't figure out how he keeps getting caught, and dealing with that one Turkish blackmailer who thinks he can do a pretty good impression of somebody he's never heard speak. You can have it all. You can look forward to all the shitty tells from people blaming you for a balance change Mythic made in 2010, just because they stopped playing in 2009 and can't be bothered to Google some archived patch notes. It's all yours.
I really hope people like this are in the minority. I've only recently come to RoR, but I've found it to be fantastic! I understand how much work would have needed to be put in just to maintain it, let alone get it started and working to the state it is in now. Any issues that have happened to me, happened in live too. Lag, servers down, quests not working right...And those guys got paid to work full time on fixing things. Might not have happened quite so often, but there is a reason for the Alpha tag in the heading. ^.^

I would like to say that I appreciate the work that has been put into this, by the devs, the GM's and even by the players. It's been a blast to romp around the Old World again stabbing things in keeps! :D

gungnir08

Post#34 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:36 am

Zlove wrote:
Fiddlehero wrote:
Genisaurus wrote: that one Turkish blackmailer who thinks he can do a pretty good impression of somebody he's never heard speak.
What would a Turkish blackmailer want?

That line caught my eye too. Got to be a good story there.
Was he not referring to this?

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=5962#p165043

If not, I'd love to hear that story as well.
Topoheals R40/RR4x AM, Mashing Buttons R40/RR4x WP, Spamming Heals R3x/RR3x RP

Topocurse R40/RR83 Chosen, Topoblades R40/RR7x WE, Toposkull R40/RR6x Zealot <Ere We Go>

Natherul
Former Staff

Post#35 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:38 am

gungnir08 wrote:

+1 interwebz for you, you are correct! :P

gungnir08

Post#36 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:03 am

Natherul wrote:
gungnir08 wrote:

+1 interwebz for you, you are correct! :P
Haha, nice.

Yeah, I really like the ban and ban appeal forums. There's a lot of good reading to be had there. ;)
Topoheals R40/RR4x AM, Mashing Buttons R40/RR4x WP, Spamming Heals R3x/RR3x RP

Topocurse R40/RR83 Chosen, Topoblades R40/RR7x WE, Toposkull R40/RR6x Zealot <Ere We Go>

Tesq

Post#37 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:13 am

I think with better ping US server population would increase, the other edge are 2 server to manage and update(track local bugs etc).

Also 2x cost: i can not feel a lucky bastard to have server eu based

Thayli

Post#38 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:15 am

They literally can't ask for money, donations or otherwise. Warhammer is not their IP and the most likely reason that this is even allowed by the original copyright holder is because it is non-profit and privately funded.

Additionally, we do not have the player base nor the staff to set up a second server.
Thayli - SH
Thlayli - SQ

[Phalanx]

Ads
Grock

Post#39 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:23 am

NoRKaLKiLLa wrote:
Dabbart wrote:
And to be fair. The Lag from the server has gotten **** LOADS better.
Yeah, when the server is down, there is zero lag!
technically it is infitine lag instead :mrgreen:
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#40 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:01 am

To make things clear.

1- Waremu / Ror is a quite young project. It means tons of things have to be done to stabilize it. I want to remind you where we were 1 year ago : T2 was appearing, no warband, no group in Scs, no guilds, no craft abilities, no siege weapons, no PQ.... In a year, many mecanics have appeared, chaoticly from my point of view, and probably too quickly. The dev/DB has been pushed by the pression ( the players enjoyment) to offer you a lot of new content and more possibilities. In a hand, thats great, in the other, we haven't taken the "several" time to optimize all the stuff. To make things right, we should freeze the project for weeks/months to clean up all of this. Would you agree that?

2 - The hardware. When T3 has come, player limit was 400 and laggy as hell. Today the limit is 1400. Without DDOS attack, and code unstability, it works perfect as shown some months ago. The hardware as nothing to do with actual problems. Creating another dedicated NA server actually could create more problems than solutions : double hardware cost (yes it isn't 10$ per months...), double staff management (GM), double everything, except playerbase it would divide...

3 - DDOS attack. Obviously and as said in 1, this isn't the only problem, but it is the major one. NONE can do anything against that. We could buy a several protection ( 200$/month - 2400$ year ), website would be protected. Who care about website vs server? ( + we don't have 2400$ to spend sadly). @DDOSer(s) : What is your purpose? Punish Ror team? Well actrually you don't. You punish players. Our 1st concern is to create a good emulator. DDOS or not, we can work on it. In some way put the game down gives us possibility to focus 100% on the project, we could thank you for that, but as said, you punish players and thats not fair. Wrong target i guess.. Steal sources? Obviously they aren't archived on the same place the gameserver, so it is pointless. Just be a famous asshole? Sadly you stay anonymous, you can't earn any glory for that.

4 - Donation. Yes we could ask for donations. Making this would expose us to many potential problems : Problem with EA/Mythic/GW. Ror is known and tolerated actually if we don't make any profit. Profit is a word who can be discussed, and none in the staff is a layer to discuss about this. Problem with players. If you make a donation, in some way you (some of you) will expect for something in return, and we would place ourself in a strange relationship customer/recipient, and this can't be sane.

5 - Sources. We could with dev/DB team agreement share them to give possibility to setup a War server. I'm 100% sure that 90% of DDOS attack would stop instantly. Godd solution eh :)? Fact is, sources represant thousands hours of free mad work and there are more to come. Would you share 2 years of your life work for... nothing? Other fact, this would split/destroy playerbase. For the little story, War-Emu was an open project... we have seen the result...

When i read some posts, i have the bad feeling that some here consider staff members like stupid ppls who don't see any problem in the actual situation ( DDOS, Xrealming, Crashs, connections, etcetc...). In this staff, there is only one person who haven't any technical ability or specific knowledge : me. If a situation isn't solved at instant T, it is because it can't be atm.
Some of you compare Ror with some WoW private server, ultra stable, 100% off content, Not DDOS, blabla. Fact is Wow privates server and RoR can't be compared. Wow PS owner haven't to developp the emulator from scratch. Wow playerbase can't be compared. Wow emulators are developped since a decenny by thousands of devs.

So, please, consider RoR for what it is : a 2 years old project, drived by 10-20 ppls on the base of quite nothing with near 0 financial resources.