The Ability System Rewrite and Provisional Patch Notes

The latest news from the battlefront.
Find out what the developers are working on.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
tvbrowntown
Suspended

Re: The Ability System Rewrite and Provisional Patch Notes

Post#221 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:33 am

Man, pop is fkn dead due to these patch notes. That's WILD. Throw us a bone asap pls

Ads
JohnnyWayne

Post#222 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:03 am

The current pop has nothing to do with those patch notes. A huge event just ended and people are burnt out.

tvbrowntown
Suspended

Post#223 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:18 am

JohnnyWayne wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:03 am The current pop has nothing to do with those patch notes. A huge event just ended and people are burnt out.
Yikes. What an event! So good that I have to log out for a while!

lumpi33

Post#224 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:29 am

tvbrowntown wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:33 am Man, pop is fkn dead due to these patch notes. That's WILD. Throw us a bone asap pls
Wait for it. Engi/SW/Magus/rSH getting rekt hard with the provisional update. With half of order playing them, even being on the weaker side and not being wanted in warbands I can already tell you how this is going to end. Pop dropping further.

The thing that pugs are having little to 0 chance to fight premades hasn't been addressed at all. Nothing has been done to lower tanks/mdps/healers survivability. Nothing has been done to make scenarios/cities more even.

And then they made decisions nobody can really get behind: Nerf WL pounce, nerf SM m1 pounce, nerf ranged knock down, nerf engi/magus range, not giving back 100% moral boost, keeping gits run away as is. It's going to be the kiting dps shamans and WEs paradise. As if we don't have already too many of them. *facepalm*

I appreciate the hard work of devs just don't agree with the direction they are taking. I have a strong feeling that it will hurt the population even more. Nobody that is loving his/her Engi/SW/Magus/rSH will stick around for a year or more until a balance patch "might" make them playable again. Not going to happen. They didn't care about them in the last 3 years and the provisional patch is giving a preview of where they are heading. Clearly not in favor of these rdps classes.

Phantasm

Post#225 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:53 am

lumpi33 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:29 am
tvbrowntown wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:33 am Man, pop is fkn dead due to these patch notes. That's WILD. Throw us a bone asap pls
Wait for it. Engi/SW/Magus/rSH getting rekt hard with the provisional update. With half of order playing them, even being on the weaker side and not being wanted in warbands I can already tell you how this is going to end. Pop dropping further.

The thing that pugs are having little to 0 chance to fight premades hasn't been addressed at all. Nothing has been done to lower tanks/mdps/healers survivability. Nothing has been done to make scenarios/cities more even.

And then they made decisions nobody can really get behind: Nerf WL pounce, nerf SM m1 pounce, nerf ranged knock down, nerf engi/magus range, not giving back 100% moral boost, keeping gits run away as is. It's going to be the kiting dps shamans and WEs paradise. As if we don't have already too many of them. *facepalm*

I appreciate the hard work of devs just don't agree with the direction they are taking. I have a strong feeling that it will hurt the population even more. Nobody that is loving his/her Engi/SW/Magus/rSH will stick around for a year or more until a balance patch "might" make them playable again. Not going to happen. They didn't care about them in the last 3 years and the provisional patch is giving a preview of where they are heading. Clearly not in favor of these rdps classes.
Because of posts like yours people stop coming to forums and check out stuff. Read again the main post and think about it for a second. Want me to tell you tldr?
  • Return of Reckoning has been working on revamping its ability system, which powers various aspects of the game like combat, tactics, and mechanics. The old system was problematic and inefficient for making changes. They've reconstructed ability data from the original version, built a new engine, and developed tools for testing and iterating abilities. They're now in the final stages of testing and plan to release the new ability system soon. Some dungeons might temporarily close for fixes, and there could be differences in how abilities from version 1.4.8 are implemented. After release, bug-fixing and balancing will continue, and future content plans will be revealed. Class balancing will also resume in the new Ability System.
The keyword is : provisional, check out what that means. If you dont want to support the game we all play and want to improve, then keep your opinions and feelings for yourself, you not helping at all.

Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#226 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:16 am

Reading this thread, i wonder why a part of community seems to think that RoR team is looking to destroy a project they hold at arm's length since years FOR US, while they communicate to explain their objective is to fix years of wet finger job, involving a serious backtracking.

I wonder why ppl ask for change every minute of their life, complaining that actual state of balance is the worst ever and when change is announced first reaction is crying because of change they consider even worst . Change they haven't even tried btw, and announced as a STARTING POINT.

I wonder how ppl can in all honesty voluntarily ignore preamble of this thread.

I left the team since years, and i don't think this game -due to its mechanics and for obvious reasons (no miror, not the same composition at any moment of the game,too many entries variations, not even balanced factions in term of number during a fight, not a 1v1 game, multiple levels of gear sloting, renown access and levels, synergies... yada yada)- is balanceable, but I welcome the willingness to finally develop rational tools to try.

lumpi33

Post#227 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:33 am

Phantasm wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:53 am

Because of posts like yours people stop coming to forums and check out stuff. Read again the main post and think about it for a second. Want me to tell you tldr?
  • Return of Reckoning has been working on revamping its ability system, which powers various aspects of the game like combat, tactics, and mechanics. The old system was problematic and inefficient for making changes. They've reconstructed ability data from the original version, built a new engine, and developed tools for testing and iterating abilities. They're now in the final stages of testing and plan to release the new ability system soon. Some dungeons might temporarily close for fixes, and there could be differences in how abilities from version 1.4.8 are implemented. After release, bug-fixing and balancing will continue, and future content plans will be revealed. Class balancing will also resume in the new Ability System.
The keyword is : provisional, check out what that means. If you dont want to support the game we all play and want to improve, then keep your opinions and feelings for yourself, you not helping at all.
I know very well what provisional means. The point is, that 1.4.8 back then was seen as "balanced" because it was tuned over years with the feedback of the community and was the latest live version. Not perfect, but balanced in the eyes of the devs back then. Then we have RoR in it's current state. Also not perfect but seen as "balanced" to some degree as well.

Now if you mix these two versions with a very random approach, like keep this, remove that, buff this, nerf that, you get a system that didn't go through all the tweaks and improvments the 1.4.8 and RoR versions went through. It is very likely that it will cause a lot of major imbalances and flaws in the overall balance.

Wouldn't it be better to start from a version that was seen as balanced by the community and devs instead of creating a mixed version where only a hand full people drawing the line, deciding what is overpowered and what not on their own? By doing so it is much more likely to end in something that is not satisfying at all.

The provisional patch notes are of course not the final version, but what you can see is a direction in which they are moving. RDPS nerfed down hard is something that is clearly visible in this patch. Nobody understands why, except the few people that decided to do so. What was their motivation for it? Do they know anything we don't? Are they not caring about balance for this first version? Read through the the posts and you will get a lot of "Why nerf Engi?". It's without a doubt the weakest class right now. Can be seen by killboard and other metrics. So, what was the reasoning behind that to nerf Engi now? It didn't get reverted to 1.4.8 as a whole. Only the good stuff of RoR was taken away and the good stuff of 1.4.8 was not given back. That makes no sense.

People that are around for longer know very well that it will takes a lot of time and multiple patches to have it roughly balanced again. That will take most likely a year or two. So players that play Engi and had to live with the underperforming class for 3years now have to wait for 1-2 years until their class is being fixed again, while having to play something that is far worse than before.

TLDR: Rolling out the ability rework with latest live or latest RoR version would be a lot better than creating a mixed version where there will be a lot of negative side effects.

agemennon675

Post#228 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:48 am

You are right and your point can also be proven by literally asking any warband leader which archetypes they want in their warbands or anyone can check in-game which classes guilds recruit. Most active and serious guilds already removed these classes from their desired list and nerfing those classes and/or for example further nerfing DPS WP/DoK when Shield version deal comparable dmg to dps spec while healing a lot and also have better survivability ?? etc. there are many examples like this. I bet most of us here can see the main reason why these changes going to happen.
Destruction: 40-BG / 40-DoK / 40-Chosen / 37-Mara / 37/Sorc / 36-SH / 36-Choppa / 24-Shaman / 16-WE
Order: 40-SW / 40-SM / 40-WP / 40-WL / 39-Kotbs / 38-BW / 33-AM / 22-WH / 16-RP / 12-Slayer

Ads
ravezaar

Post#229 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:48 am

clearly alot of clueless ppl in this thread or atleast ppl with difficulty to read, give the Devs atleast time to put skill rework in place then if u dont like the balance that follows so be it
Ravezaar Slayer rr86
Ravezz Ironbreker rr82
Goingsolo Shadow Warrior rr81
Zutha Runepriest rr83
Raave Magus rr84 (finally gave in to Tzeentch whispers)
https://imgur.com/a/mlxv1nJ

chovudal

Post#230 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:46 pm

ravezaar wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:48 am clearly alot of clueless ppl in this thread or atleast ppl with difficulty to read, give the Devs atleast time to put skill rework in place then if u dont like the balance that follows so be it
..and some disrespectul, no need to write like this

After years of waiting, its just underwhelming.

@lumpi33 you are so right imo