[Review] [Mara] Gift of monstrosity

Proposals after the two week discussion period will be moved to this sub-forum for internal review.
Tesq

Re: [Mara] Gift of monstrosity [Close Date May 19]

Post#111 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:15 pm

ragafury wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:53 pm WB shenanigans

for wb gameplay you are not forced to run mdrain, and it only makes sense if you have more than 1 mara.
you can also replace Crushing Blows with Feeding on Fear + Growing Instability to do decent enough bomb dmg and contribute in killing stuff, how ever as mentioned, if you run 2 maras, go drain.
GF M2 adds a lot of desired burst to stop recovery and bury ppl.
one of the main reasons mara is kinda undesired is it's mdps nature which makes him less valuable in certain situations for wb gameplay like: funnels, counter funnels, bridge and chokepoint pushes, range engagements, fighting bigger numbers cause you are forced to push to not fall behind in the morale game or have to retreat and so on.
one of the natural counters in wb gameplay is running IBs and distributing oathbound on keytargets, though I think we don't have to talk about how underused IBs are in general by order warbands comps and what's the average gameplay level for IBs is (Oathfriend is a fire and forget tool by most IB vods I saw when I saw some and buffs don't get distributed in a meaningfull way but rather stacked on one party member) in WBs.

the monstro stance itself, if we discuss now bomb wb v bomb is quite neglectable.
most of orders WB composition consists of AoE BW. other viable OR semi viable classes which act as a supplement and not main dmg are slayer, engie and as the bottom of the foodchain SW. The rest is straight not viable (WL; WH) for bombing purposes, if you build a ST party into your bomb WB things change again, though you still wouldn't start to focus down maras and work on soft targets how it's the intention of such a party.

means majority of classes do some kind of pure magical (BW) or composite dmg (engie).
usually you run 1x or 2x slayer, cause of there more fluffy aoe nature, matched or targeting a marauder they also fall even more off cause of the natural parry a physical DPS has via WS gain and value / overflow points that go towards it.

so overall, the physical DPS and MDPS dilemna goes for both sides and is deeper buried than maras monstro stance imo in wb gameplay.

call it "deep", mara GoM and slayer rampage (due synergy), wl/choppa bad aoe build and wh/we absence of aoe problem so: because of course unkillable melee vs physical dmg , undefiuatble cd increase 100% of time which require unkillable mara to be withstand and 2 mediocre melee and 2 not even buildable for aoe melee are hard to spot right? i dont think we should just circle around the problem ...first ppl admit that rampage and GoM are countering each other and the faster more physical DD problems will be solved in orvr.

why it's necessary to not explode

the class than even has by design low initiative, which somewhat got not properly highlighted in the whole discussion and has to make up for it with slotting a passive tactic / using RF set / RR investment or living on with a crucial weakness and ignoring that defensive stat and go balls to the wall.

exept the fact this is false as mara is the class with higer ini via tactic (corrupoted edge) which also give brute force for free in mid mastery and any small scalee mara can use it for profit and dont require swap mostro so that at some extent this make mostro in small scale balance not even relevant, and in before any claim about corrupted edge requrie GoB, yes it does and it's even better this way for small scale where double order ini debuff is a thing because GoS and all mastery sav skills are used to dot or debuff and all dmg came from savagery stuff so the synergy is over 9k.

mostro is a thing for orvr it is NOT relevant for small scale, it is not relevant for gank (lol seriusly then on what kind of balance you suppose to balance gank!? 3v1, 6 vs 3, 18vs 6etc lol), and is able to negate 1050 point of wep skill.

to add even more the armor pen reduction scale even bette in orvr as all aoe stuff get half contribution from the primary stat so when the armor pen is negated the final aoe damge is half in comparison to what would happen to a st skill.

@for the rest lets make some exemple my mara have 50% (armor ) dmg reduction and guard

enemy slayer/sw have 50% armor pen (ignore by GoM) and raw dmg is 1k critted.

1k /2 (by guard) =500

500/ 2 (by armor rduction ) = 250

now lets assume GoM would not be present thus slayer would ingore 50% of my 50% (so end results is 25%)

instead it would be

500/0.75=375

mara GoM in this case have removed 125 raw dmg insane let's translate this in toughness = 125 x5 = 625

625 point of stat is negating atm 100% OF THE TIME on all physical dps. This is in line with negating a full wep skill value as half the wep skill value also contribuite to raise parry, so mara can negate all the offensive side of the wep skill of any phy dps.

At this i still didnt had added the 300 points o toughness any mara +ch will have. to add toughness post armor calc to seee its effectiveness simply cut it by armor value (so by half); in the first case it would had been 30 more dmg reduced in the second case 45

so in the above case 100% or 50% armor pen was equal to 25% dmg reduction which is active all the time vs all pshyical dps, so lets see how tank do this, kobs have 50% over 30 sec so is 16.6 x sec for every 10 sec; so

mara: 25%
kobs= 16.6%

SO mara core skill is BETTER than a 13 pt tank skill (GZ we have a winner of the overpowered lottery here), even taking into accoun that it only work vs physical dmg and you could divide the skill in helf it would be 12.5 and we still have to add the heal component of the skill for a value of 1k!!!!. So overall with out spec, mara have a core worth of 13pt+ skill from a TANK...

i also want to debunk the point that go from 100% to 10% being too much. you are not going from 100 to 10 you are goign most likely from 50 to 10 because i still have to see anymore break the barrier of the 55% penetration on a DD. Even if that was the case itiems give armor pen reduction so is still around 50%. so have wrote 100% or 50% is the same thing.
The proposal in reality want to make move GoM from 50% to 10%(or 20% as i wrote previously)
Last edited by Tesq on Fri May 11, 2018 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
Darosh
Banned

Post#112 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Tesq wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:15 pm i still have to see anymore break the barrier of the 55% penetration on a DD.
Not necessarily relevant for the discussion, but here I whipped out muh pugfarm-supreme-full-glass-gear, popped fierceness and a WS liniment (lini + Fierceness seem to stack for some reason probably because of the bufftype or w/e; missing 3*8 WS from talis and you could potentially get a tiny bit more WS with other jewelries/statsteal [instead of Fierceness] buff) all for you, have that:
Spoiler:
Abbd.:
Note: The above gear/spec setup DOES NOT work against competent players. Just so you know.
Additionally, I can hit softcap WS if I swapped out my scenario weapon with either another Subjugator weapon or the t4 influence hammer with the 30ish base WS, and the missing 24 WS from talis and 18ish WS from statsteal instead of Fierceness. *cough*

For shits and giggles, gief 24er talis and pocket SM, plox.
Spoiler:
Abbd.:
I forgot to mention: a full stack of -armorpen wouldn't work out on a Mara or w/e class either, and the fluff -armorpen on the gear is hardly noticeable, so meh.
Last edited by Darosh on Thu May 10, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.

OldSerpenT
Game Artist

Post#113 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:51 pm

Great calculations. Sadly full of major flaws.
1k crit... My sorc crits around 500 raw dmg with AA.
Remind me, how much armor do you need to have 50% physical damage mitigation?
After these I don't feel like I would let you count money.

Why do you count guard as defense if you don't count same guard for kotbs when you compare mitigation at the end?
Image Image

mickeye

Post#114 » Thu May 10, 2018 8:20 pm

Spoiler:
theoddone wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:19 pm I think your observational skills are quite selective. The quality of my videos are decent, so that should not be a problem. Becuase if you actually took the time to watch my videos you would notice that I rarely swap to monstro. I run full offensive sav when solo and do not rely on the monstro proc very often. For my own playstyle, I don't have not much to lose from monstro getting nerfed. I defend it out of principle.

1. Don't nerf for the sake of nerfing.

2. Don't nerf something that is not broken. Especially, without any ingame proof. No proof has been provided yet. Currently this is just good old forum theory crafting.

3. Don't nerf an ability in a vacuum.
Consider the whole class. Nerfing GoM will discourage people from stance dancing, aka using the class mechanic. It will reduce skillfull play and dumb down the class mechanic. As pointed out before you have to gear defensively to really benefit from it, a trade-off. The healing part really does not matter in group play. If you link the gift to mastery points you would have to do it with the other stances as well. Becuase why should one stance be linked and not the others? And a whole bunch of issues emerges.

I think a crucial issue to this whole proposal is the narrow-mindedness of many people in regards to different settings and play styles. Balance should not be made only in consideration of WB meta. Having some insight, and understanding that the game is not meant to be played in a single type of play style would do a lot of people good. I personally try to play solo, small scale, 6vs6, 6vsX rvr, and even WB sometimes. I recommend the same to you Scrilian, it might give you some much-needed perspective.
This.
No +1s - Dan
Fionne WL | Burlok > Karak Eight Peaks > Eltharion > Karak Azgal > Karak Norn

ragafury

Post#115 » Thu May 10, 2018 8:33 pm

ok, unkillable mara meme debunked:

1. sorcs / bws conserve a far better KDR on average than any MDPS in orvr. if you want a proof I can link you a bazillion screenshots.

2. You described the "mdps" dilemna I roughly sketched, though, you can't blame GoM for that. Slayer and Mara are the 2 melee classes which kinda work in warbands, even slayer more than mara nowadays. even choppa if high RR to a certain degree. the rest doesn't yep, even if some ppl love to run dragon gun, it's useless, same goes for WL. and if you opt and streamline your setup will cut surely the choppa; same as slayers only have 1 or 2 slots.

3. the base value for initiative is garbage on mara (if I'm correct it's 3rd worse in the game after BO and IB); yes, as I already pointed out, you can pick up a tactic to fix it; though, in any case you will than miss a tool you otherwhise would pick up; candidates you have to choose between: Insane Whispers, Crushing Blows, Growing Instability or Corrupted Edge; to even get to the point to get this choice requires RR60; and a 160 initiative tactic is not an auto pick up cause the biggest initiative debuffs are ~100 on average in wb gameplay and it only works in corrosponding stance; unless an enemy 6 man adds to your fight or the opposition has as I pointed out a melee train in there wb which than again has to run an ASW. In the 2nd case; they will not start to kill marauders, but sorcs, magus, zealots and so on. once RR70, you can pick up all skills + tactics + the supporting tactic of your choice.

4. good job on the math; you just proofed that the slayer is bad at picking targets on a mathematical level, unless those 2 are the only ones around; no balancing around 1v1s; besides you did there a large potion of cherry picking (adding guard and removing it as you like) and I will not waste my time into reverse engeneer that bumpy calculation with bad commentary.

5. I play 3/7 or 4/7 days in a premade warband depending on shedule and on both sides, if we run a marauder on destro, they are never last man standing vs good bombs, it's usually healers or ignored tanks. marauders die if the enemy hits there morale bomb point cause they hang around up front cause of MDPS nature and have an average of ~7.5k HP. 7.5k HP are easily consumed by a somewhat synchrone Rhuin + Destruction, No Escape, Raze drop or a good center of mass / proper focussed bomb by BWs which is the backbone of order bomb DPS.

6. if the main reason for this thread is Gift of Monstosities Performance in RvR, and only that ...
GoS would do far more for bombing than GoM...
better bomb DPS = winner on average unless you mix in tools, terrain and debuffs.
--- inactive ---
---guildless---

Tesq

Post#116 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:45 pm

ragafury wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:33 pm ok, unkillable mara meme debunked:

1. sorcs / bws conserve a far better KDR on average than any MDPS in orvr. if you want a proof I can link you a bazillion screenshots.

pff not true at all, it cames to static vs mobile, melee are mobile and dont have set back interrupt , sw/squig are mobile but can be interrupt and do more dmg but are less armored, bw/sorc can do the higher dmg around but are more static and thair aoe can be avoided more easily , are few armored especially vs melee, dont have escape button etc..

the fact that the game dictate a lot of situation where is basically you fight in the tick part of a bottle does not mean than anything which dont ista destroys in a small radius is **** and not balanced.

2. You described the "mdps" dilemna I roughly sketched, though, you can't blame GoM for that. Slayer and Mara are the 2 melee classes which kinda work in warbands, even slayer more than mara nowadays. even choppa if high RR to a certain degree. the rest doesn't yep, even if some ppl love to run dragon gun, it's useless, same goes for WL. and if you opt and streamline your setup will cut surely the choppa; same as slayers only have 1 or 2 slots.

i alredy described what lies behind those 2 skill countering each other mara/slay share a lot more than what you think (st stuff, def aoe hitter vs off aoe hitter , both with form of uncommon CC). Aside from that no one said those sckill need to eb removed but it's pretty easy see where the problem arise on these 2 classes which both have general always good core/easy to obtain class buff which work in any spec.

3. the base value for initiative is garbage on mara (if I'm correct it's 3rd worse in the game after BO and IB); yes, as I already pointed out, you can pick up a tactic to fix it; though, in any case you will than miss a tool you otherwhise would pick up; candidates you have to choose between: Insane Whispers, Crushing Blows, Growing Instability or Corrupted Edge; to even get to the point to get this choice requires RR60; and a 160 initiative tactic is not an auto pick up cause the biggest initiative debuffs are ~100 on average in wb gameplay and it only works in corrosponding stance; unless an enemy 6 man adds to your fight or the opposition has as I pointed out a melee train in there wb which than again has to run an ASW. In the 2nd case; they will not start to kill marauders, but sorcs, magus, zealots and so on. once RR70, you can pick up all skills + tactics + the supporting tactic of your choice.

you dont miss nothing for small scale, RoR.builders - Marauder

and for wb sy but you wont need ini tactic for wb.

4. good job on the math; you just proofed that the slayer is bad at picking targets on a mathematical level, unless those 2 are the only ones around; no balancing around 1v1s; besides you did there a large potion of cherry picking (adding guard and removing it as you like) and I will not waste my time into reverse engeneer that bumpy calculation with bad commentary.

i done what? my math was just to show you how much GoM can reduces dmg from sl/sw....125 pt of dmg which is HUGE and the reason you see mostly bw around or you gain an unfair advantage because you force enemy to only run bw to coutner you.

5. I play 3/7 or 4/7 days in a premade warband depending on shedule and on both sides, if we run a marauder on destro, they are never last man standing vs good bombs, it's usually healers or ignored tanks. marauders die if the enemy hits there morale bomb point cause they hang around up front cause of MDPS nature and have an average of ~7.5k HP. 7.5k HP are easily consumed by a somewhat synchrone Rhuin + Destruction, No Escape, Raze drop or a good center of mass / proper focussed bomb by BWs which is the backbone of order bomb DPS.

and so? what does that have to do with negate physical order dps? you are calling all morales or magic dmg which this nerf would change nothing against... maybe? less bw will be around dont you think if this get nerf?! moreover you alredy have what coutner bw better bomb than sorc, is called save me hide (which stack with chosen aura) and discordant fluctuation...... camon dont play numb..those things are groupwide buff

6. if the main reason for this thread is Gift of Monstosities Performance in RvR, and only that ...
GoS would do far more for bombing than GoM...
better bomb DPS = winner on average unless you mix in tools, terrain and debuffs.

yes because you can aoe while in GoS sure! .... wth are ya talking about... swap 1 sec to drop moraòl gain stop is not = being better.....is equal to pass by a uselss gift in that sich...

ragafury

Post#117 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:01 pm

you stating that gom is most op shenaningans since baked bread.
I told you why it's not.
at some points your are requoting me and basically stating the same.
on point 6. you proof that you a) can't read fluid english or b) very high skill at selective reading.

I give up and I'm out. this is just #wot.
do as you like. :D :D :D
--- inactive ---
---guildless---

nat3s

Post#118 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:40 pm

Spoiler:
7 balance topics on this forum, 6 are asking for Order buffs and the 1 destro thread is requesting a Mara nerf. What's going on, why is the balance so Order favoured?

Anyhow, on to the topic at hand. Monstros is op in pve and mass rvr. In PvE you can go 1-40 in hours through pulling packs of 10-15 and AoE'ing them down. In RvR it's awesome in keeps for farming renown and staying tanky.

With that said, it's low down the list of balance priorities imo, we've got the overperforming BW, WL or SW to work through first (all 3 massively outperform their mirrors). White Lion rapes face compared to Mara, SW does way more rdps compared to SH + doesnt lose 1/3 of its dps when a pet dies and SW have 240 more weapon skill from tactics/abilities. BW bomb is second to none in the scenario stakes.

Let's get our priorities straight and start opening up the destro comms, this forum is more an Order buff campaign than a genuine RoR cross-faction area.
User was warned for trash tier trolling at worst, and ignorant whining at best. - Dan
Defraz rr81 Magus
Defrack rr81 Mara
Induce rr77 Shaman
rr7x AM, Choppa, WL, WH, WE, BG

Ads
nat3s

Post#119 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:53 pm

Wasn't intended to be a troll, I agree that Monstros overperforms.

We can disagree, but that doesn't mean I'm trolling. By all means correct me where you disagree. Would appreciate some observations on where you think Destruction competes on a mirror-by-mirror basis and the reasons behind the lack of destruction balance topics to discuss on this sub-forum.

Thanks
Last edited by nat3s on Mon May 14, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defraz rr81 Magus
Defrack rr81 Mara
Induce rr77 Shaman
rr7x AM, Choppa, WL, WH, WE, BG

dansari

Post#120 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:55 pm

nat3s wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:53 pm By all means correct me where I'm wrong Dan, would appreciate some observations on where you think Destruction competes on a mirror-by-mirror basis which would justify a Mara nerf.
Not for me to decide, just to moderate and facilitate. The proposal also isn't based on mirrors, it's based on the defensive proc for GoM. If you have something constructive to add to the conversation, by all means, please share. If you don't, just let other people share their thoughts instead.
Spoiler:
Edit: To be blunt, the appropriate way to inquire as to why there are a disproportionate amount of balance topics for order classes is either through a pm or you can @ peter or I on the RoR discord. This isn't the place, so I'll be brief: it's just how things look at this moment in time. Right now we have another sorc topic open, and in the recently closed topics are 2 BG proposals, 1 magus, 2 WE, 1 sorc, 1 choppa, and 1 chosen. We move proposals that make sense to us. You could argue there aren't many destro proposals that pop off the screen right now. It's not a conspiracy.
<Salt Factory>