Recent Topics

Ads

How do i stop losing in scenarios

In this section, you will find some advices and basics to start quietly ingame. Question like " I'm lvl 1, what shall i do?", "What class shall i pick?", will find some answers in this place.
ulqX

How do i stop losing in scenarios

Post#1 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:47 pm

i'm new here. just started playing this weekend.
i got a lv 12 sorc on destruction and lv 6 witch hunter on order

played around 25 rounds of scenarios so far, evenly split between the characters, and i've only won 2 times
when im on destro, destro loses, when im on order, order loses
commonality here is me-- am i doing something to drag my team down? i dont have highest death count, im usually middle of the pack overall on the losing team's charts

how do i stop losing cuz im at like a 90% lose ratio now-- which is rare in any pvp. even in 5v5 games like LoL its tough to lose this much

Ads
Phantasm

Re: How do i stop losing in scenarios

Post#2 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:39 pm

Trust me, we were all in same situation when we started. I remember my 1st char SM on Live, i totally didnt know what to do.
It just take time, open yourself on advices, dont think too much about wining or losing now, just learn the game and mechanics. I would stick to 1 archatype, Mdps is not new player friendly, rdps or healers are. (WH is mdps, Sorc - rdps). Try find guild, play with other ppl. Its MMO game after all with trinity (healer-dps-tank). You will see progress.

M0rw47h

Post#3 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:47 pm

ulqX wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:47 pm i'm new here. just started playing this weekend.

played around 25 rounds of scenarios so far, evenly split between the characters, and i've only won 2 times
commonality here is me-- am i doing something to drag my team down? i dont have highest death count, im usually middle of the pack overall on the losing team's charts

how do i stop losing cuz im at like a 90% lose ratio now-- which is rare in any pvp. even in 5v5 games like LoL its tough to lose this much
I would pick different character than sorc for learning the game. Unguarded sorc is completly useless, not healed sorc kills herself.
If you decide to play dps, its good to make friends to que with - a tank who can guard YOU and a healer. Makes life much easier.

Poknok

Post#4 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:48 pm

It's hard to know what's going wrong without seeing it, but here's some thoughts:

1. Don't try to kill a tank unless everything else on the field is dead. I'd bet this is the single biggest change any DPS can make to up their game.

2. Stay basically with your group. An isolated DPS is a dead DPS.

3. Whatever mistakes you might be making, almost certainly other people are making them too. So if all else fails make a healer, PvE it up to lvl 5 or so, and then run scenarios trying to keep people alive. If it's your job to keep them alive while they're making those mistakes, they become obvious in a big hurry. :\

Good luck!

Phantasm

Post#5 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:51 pm

1 rdps is least burden for a sc group, tank got rensposibilites, healers are 1st to blame after lost scs. Sorc is easy, u got instants, dots, long cast, when u start dying you learn kite, prekite, avoid blob, etc. Great class to learn "read" surroundings. Ofc if u not give up:)

Dinotron

Post#6 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:52 pm

ulqX wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:47 pm i'm new here. just started playing this weekend.

You're just on a bad streak. I wouldn't put too much thought into it. If you find yourself losing a few in a row, go get some fresh air with ORvR or stagger your queue so you end up with a different group.
You could also try putting together a group to queue with. 2 Tanks, 2 Healers & 2 DPS is a good composition.

There is no "balanced" matchmaking for Scenarios so it's heavily RNG.

navis

Post#7 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:47 pm

It takes one to be able to play the class utilizing it's mechanics, otherwise you'll never be able to be competitive. There is lots to consider such as your class, class spec, your skill etc.

All the scenarios in this game are within brackets with relation to your level, and there is bolstering which works automatically. Both these factors will effect your performance a lot, and will peak at some point in your performance so just don't expect a lot if your near the bottom of your bracket.

There are 2 types of scenarios regular (you should be in a group here) and solo q - for solo players. Although solo players can also queue for regular scenarios if your solo you will be at a big disadvantage.
When you log in each day there is a notice which displays the current PUG scenario - queue here if your solo.

Learn how to use the scenario party system as you will at some point (same as in city sieges later on) to move your self into another group. IF the players cannot move into a proper group setup, they will be at a big disadvantage. Group heals will not work and that could over tax healers quite easily, not to mention every class has group synergy abilities.

After that learn your class be reading or watching videos or asking questions, and learn opponents classes also if you can, that will help a lot, and you will learn about what to look for such as visual effects or sound effect.

Addons - important as most players use them and they add to your competitiveness. RoR has a good addon community as it also incudes many addons going way back. As a healer this is especially important as a heal main mechanic is healing and ressing other players. Addons can assist greatly with targeting players in other groups in your warband and also players out of your warband.
Enemy is one good addon I use for groups, and it's good for any class to use.
Addons are super important to learn when you are getting dotted by a certain class such as a sorc or magus rotation - that lets you cleanse and/or run out of distance and try to break their rotation.

Team play - being able to perform well with the players in your scenario will play a big part in winning. If players don't understand basic concepts of the flag systems (scenarios offer unique mechanics depending on which one). If your a healer don't ignore hurt players just because they aren't in your warband or group.

Strategy - use geography well - such as high points for casters and healers, or choke points with tanks and moral pushes.

Avoid wasting GCD (global cd) on shield tanks and understand how to make pushes in to enemy back lines. Players that get caught in a melee with tank classes are not going to win. Use your class detaunt (50% damage reduction) effectively and if your team mates are also doing their class jobs well your team should be getting good heals and doing damage to vulnerable targets and killing them. Sometimes it will seem like enemies are never dying but usually you have to just keep hitting them until they use up their potion and absorb..

GL

M0rw47h

Post#8 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:57 pm

Phantasm wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:51 pm 1 rdps is least burden for a sc group, tank got rensposibilites, healers are 1st to blame after lost scs. Sorc is easy, u got instants, dots, long cast, when u start dying you learn kite, prekite, avoid blob, etc. Great class to learn "read" surroundings. Ofc if u not give up:)
rDPS are the worst classes for scenarios, which are based on assist train and guard switching. Anyone who has doubts can check ranked leaderboards and see how many sorcs and bright wizards are around the top, or even middle of tier of it compared to other classes.

Ads
Phantasm

Post#9 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:53 am

Spoiler:
M0rw47h wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:57 pm
Phantasm wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:51 pm 1 rdps is least burden for a sc group, tank got rensposibilites, healers are 1st to blame after lost scs. Sorc is easy, u got instants, dots, long cast, when u start dying you learn kite, prekite, avoid blob, etc. Great class to learn "read" surroundings. Ofc if u not give up:)
rDPS are the worst classes for scenarios, which are based on assist train and guard switching. Anyone who has doubts can check ranked leaderboards and see how many sorcs and bright wizards are around the top, or even middle of tier of it compared to other classes.
We are talking about t1 matchups here. No melee train here, no knockdowns, roots etc. Mid tier also is okayish, but ofc if u dont face premade.

Twohandernoob

Post#10 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:01 am

Its because you're playing a sorc and a WH.

Both completely fine but learning curve till you learn how to not be killed easily.

If you were playing a tank and healer and IQ is not sub 100 you'd be around 50%