Recent Topics

Ads

Devs thoughs on Bioware/Mythic devs?

Talk about things which are not related to RoR or War.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Vilhelmina

Devs thoughs on Bioware/Mythic devs?

Post#1 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:53 pm

This is a question aimed towards the awesome heroes who are bringing back this great game. I'm guessing it might be politically incorrect for them to answer, but here goes:

Q) Now that you have your hands on the source code/engine/gubbins that runs WAR. What do you think of the original developers and their lack of content in WAR's later life?

As reading through the bug thread, and seeing Azarael answer posts left, right and centre with, "...yep, fixed that...fixed this..." Do you think the devs at Bioware/Mythic were lazy sods? Or is the engine really complex and they done well to get so far?`
If you had a big team, do you think you guys could ever do something so grand like deliver the missing capital cities?

Once again, thanks to everyone involved with bringing this game back, I could kiss you all.

VIL

Ads
Azarael

Re: Devs thoughs on Bioware/Mythic devs?

Post#2 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:38 pm

Vilhelmina wrote:Now that you have your hands on the source code/engine/gubbins that runs WAR.
Just need to head this off for safety reasons - we don't have any of the source code. If your intent was to say "Now that you're developing WAR... then okay.
Vilhelmina wrote:Do you think the devs at Bioware/Mythic were lazy sods? Or is the engine really complex and they done well to get so far?`
If you had a big team, do you think you guys could ever do something so grand like deliver the missing capital cities?
If they were lazy sods they would long since have been fired. Posts about EA's internal corporate culture rather suggests that developers who work for them are overworked and underpaid.

Management will have made decisions about which resources to devote where. I assume they either had no appreciation for the real problems of the game, or did not want to divert coder time to a project which they saw as flagging and that they had the intention of running with a skeleton staff for as long as possible.

Vilhelmina

Post#3 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:42 pm

Okay, I did mean control of the server side things.

But looking at all this... code? Do you think, "Sheesh! I pity those Devs back then. This is a mess."
Or do you think, "If I had all the time in the world, I could get this running better than ever?"

PartizanRUS

Post#4 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:44 pm

Its those guys who also made SWTOR fail an epic one.
This server is running better than Ranald(russian one) when not on full capacity, with better online.
Burn heretics and mutants, purge the unclean. ingame - Partizan . Hammer of Sigmar guild [RUS]
Image https://i.imgur.com/Un7WASp.jpg Image Image

Mothba

Post#5 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:53 pm

Vilhelmina wrote:Okay, I did mean control of the server side things.

But looking at all this... code? Do you think, "Sheesh! I pity those Devs back then. This is a mess."
Or do you think, "If I had all the time in the world, I could get this running better than ever?"
Developers of Return of Reckoning do NOT have original Warhammer server code, so they cannot look at it and judge quality of work made by EA/Mythic developers.

Private/emulated servers almost in all cases run on new code written/developed by developers of those emu-servers and not on original leaked/stolen/wheatever code.

PS. Where you got Bioware from? Sure it's part of EA, but Bioware was not involved in Warhammer production afaik.
Last edited by Mothba on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azarael

Post#6 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:53 pm

All we have from the original developers' work to go on is the client (the compiled client, of course) and whatever parts of the original packet structure we can figure out. I don't hold an opinion either way on the original developers, as I have nothing to go on, and I do not feel I'm qualified to judge professionals.

Vilhelmina

Post#7 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:02 pm

Okay, again thanks for all the fantastic work.

Tiggo
Former Staff

Post#8 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:12 pm

legally its very important that new devs DONT work on any code originated by Mythic. It would be a severe copyright infridgement.
- Martock - Tiggo - Antigonos - Mago - Hamilkar - Melquart
- Smooshie (Destro)

Ads