Recent Topics

Ads

New engine, better performance?

Let's talk about... everything else
Wdova

New engine, better performance?

Post#1 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:42 pm

How hard and expensive it would be recode engine in to something modern that use more cpu cores and more GPU power? Its hard to watch fps drops in big figts from 99 to 20-30ish while graphs shows cpu utilization 10% and gpu at 7%. PC is basicly idling while game is having hard times maintain acceptable fps.
Pigbutcher - Choppa RR80+
Cyplenkov - Marauder RR80+
Vdova - Witch elf RR80+

Hajzl - Swordmaster RR80+
Roznetka - Engineer RR70+

Ads
Faction69

Re: New engine, better performance?

Post#2 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:08 pm

It would be nearly impossible to do for the actual dev team of a live MMORPG, let alone the dev team of a private server made up of unpaid volunteers..

tromat

Post#3 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:12 pm

what is your GPU/CPU ? I play with regular 95-100 fps, even in big fights. Only exception is in keep lord

Wdova

Post#4 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:22 pm

tromat wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:12 pm what is your GPU/CPU ? I play with regular 95-100 fps, even in big fights. Only exception is in keep lord
Ryzen 7 5800x3D paired with RX 6800 XT. Yes I am talking about fights involving big blobs(lotd, big keep fights, etc.) Game was codded before 2008 and as far as I know Gamebryo engine uses only 1 core/1 thread.
Last edited by Wdova on Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vdova - Witch elf RR80+

Wdova

Post#5 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:25 pm

Faction69 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:08 pm It would be nearly impossible to do for the actual dev team of a live MMORPG, let alone the dev team of a private server made up of unpaid volunteers..
I know it´s impossible for small dev team, but we are in AI era. Isnt any existing AI solution that would recode most of the game for devs?
Vdova - Witch elf RR80+

Scottx125

Post#6 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:05 am

Wdova wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:25 pm
Faction69 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:08 pm It would be nearly impossible to do for the actual dev team of a live MMORPG, let alone the dev team of a private server made up of unpaid volunteers..
I know it´s impossible for small dev team, but we are in AI era. Isnt any existing AI solution that would recode most of the game for devs?
No. AI coding right now is extremely basic and error prone. We're not in some magical AI era where you can just click your fingers and have complex coding projects made.. No AI solution exists for this issue.

The only way to improve performance.. Would be to reduce the amount of CPU usage, or improve the single core CPU performance. That's pretty much it. And the devs are optimising and making new content as they go. But I doubt there will be any major fps improvements for the next few years.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

rrrutsss

Post#7 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:20 am

tromat wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:12 pm what is your GPU/CPU ? I play with regular 95-100 fps, even in big fights. Only exception is in keep lord
What GPU and CPU you got?

Absinth

Post#8 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:16 am

Wdova wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:25 pm
AI is not some magic keyword to fix all of your problems, granted it might let you cheat in class or quickly give answer to something a little bit more complex but throw at it something actually complex and it outputs lasagne, heck you can try for yourself, ask it to make a lua addon for warhammer online age of reckoning that will output word "banana" in the chat when loaded it will even fail at such trivial thing. In current state all that AI can do is provide some assistance with more mundane and repeatable tasks in coding. Remaking the whole game in the diff engine is something that would be possible if not the fact that this is free server made by volunteers that do stuff in their free time. About improving the current engine, its no easy feat since the engine itself already does a lot of wonky stuff to allow 100's of players all with their own unique appearance to appear at your screen during those big boi fights, all that i can say is you should probably offload the game to a dedicated single core with its two threads and make sure nothing else runs on it while doing various optimisation tricks that are out there in forums. I personally run a r3 3100 with 1650 super and im able to have stable 40-50fps in anything that is not fort blob or that few seconds when enemy blob is approaching and is not loaded yet by game. Otherwise game runs in stable 100fps.
Shinee DOK | 40/82
YellowGuard BG | 40/62
NuclearBombs SORC | 40/40

Self-proclaimed PVE and Fashionhammer expert

Ads
othr

Post#9 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 pm

You might have more luck moving to a different ready-to-go engine rather than rewriting this.

xpander
Community Management

Post#10 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:49 pm

Wdova wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:22 pm
Ryzen 7 5800x3D paired with RX 6800 XT. Yes I am talking about fights involving big blobs(lotd, big keep fights, etc.) Game was codded before 2008 and as far as I know Gamebryo engine uses only 1 core/1 thread.
5800X3D with RTX 3080 (GPU doesn't really matter though) here and i get 80-100 Fps in big battles, combatlog disabled. 55-80 near Keep lord with loads of people. Thats under Linux though. The game yeah using basically 1 thread and all the addon code goes through that also.. rendering is pushed to another thread though, but that could just be because on linux i use DXVK which translates dx9 to vulkan.
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos