Recent Topics

Ads

Ability range bug?

Ask for in-game support. Bugs go to the Bug Tracker.
Forum rules
READ THE STICKIED THREADS BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The answers you may seek are likely already there.

Thank you.
Automation

Ability range bug?

Post#1 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:34 am

So, im playing again a bit yesterday and i noticed that everytime i tried to use my knockdown or punt or just a skill in general i had to be litterally ontop of my target.
I know this ' bug ' was there aswell in skill rework beta but it still seems to be there?
Is nobody noticing this?
Is there a fix for this or a work around?
Super annoying playing a tank effectively when i need to be litterally inside of my enemy to cc them or use skills...

Ads
Apocaliptico

Re: Ability range bug?

Post#2 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:30 am

Automation wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:34 am So, im playing again a bit yesterday and i noticed that everytime i tried to use my knockdown or punt or just a skill in general i had to be litterally ontop of my target.
I know this ' bug ' was there aswell in skill rework beta but it still seems to be there?
Is nobody noticing this?
Is there a fix for this or a work around?
Super annoying playing a tank effectively when i need to be litterally inside of my enemy to cc them or use skills...
In fact, this was a rework that only works well for those who are close to the server. The idea is that your character is always facing the exact distance from the target. For players like me, who play melee tank and have a ping above 100, you need to be patient so as not to uninstall the game.

Automation

Post#3 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:09 am

Oh wow, thats real fun... -_-
Why exactly has this change been implemented?
The game was perfectly responsive before, is there a reason for nullifying that responsiveness?
Im lucky im EU, and for me its a pain already to properly activate my abilitys let alone the NA folks...
Also, nice buff for range dps, they have allot less problems with this issue.

Omegus

Post#4 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:58 pm

Automation wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:09 am Oh wow, thats real fun... -_-
The game was perfectly responsive before, is there a reason for nullifying that responsiveness?
Im lucky im EU, and for me its a pain already to properly activate my abilitys let alone the NA folks...
Are you mistaking distance for angle? There has been a long-running bug since 2021 where the facing requirement for abilities has been broken and all targeted attacks basically became 360 instead of needing the enemy to be in the front arc. This was a bug introduced in ROR and has now been fixed. Melee and RDPS have to be properly facing their target for the ability to work. As for it being a buff to RDPS... try kiting before and after the change :D. No more shooting arrows out of your arse.

Newer players are thinking "wtf is this nerf" as the broken facing is all you've ever known.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Automation

Post#5 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:13 pm

Omegus wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:58 pm
Automation wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:09 am Oh wow, thats real fun... -_-
Are you mistaking distance for angle? There has been a long-running bug since 2021 where the facing requirement for abilities has been broken and all targeted attacks basically became 360 instead of needing the enemy to be in the front arc. This was a bug introduced in ROR and has now been fixed. Melee and RDPS have to be properly facing their target for the ability to work. As for it being a buff to RDPS... try kiting before and after the change :D. No more shooting arrows out of your arse.

Newer players are thinking "wtf is this nerf" as the broken facing is all you've ever known.
Nope, there is a thing called straving.
You have backpeddle, and you have strave.
You could use skills while straving, as in, you press only youre strafe left and you could still use skills, now i srsly need to backpeddle?
Thats pro!
Also nobody was shooting arrows out of there ass, they were most likely strafing.

Omegus

Post#6 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:29 pm

Automation wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:13 pm Nope, there is a thing called straving.
You could use skills while straving, as in, you press only youre strafe left and you could still use skills, now i srsly need to backpeddle?
Thats pro!
Also nobody was shooting arrows out of there ass, they were most likely strafing.
No, there was a thing called the facing bug, and I am the person who reported the bug back in 2021 when the bug tracker used to be on GitHub. A copy of it can be found on the new tracker (dates are wrong as they are based on when the ticket was copied over): https://bugs.returnofreckoning.com/view.php?id=19703

Before this bug, you had to keep people in your front arc for attacks to work. The "front arc" does not change if you are strafing as the arc is based on what would be your forward non-strafing direction. When kiting via strafing you still had to keep the person in your front arc by changing your facing (right mouse) while strafing. Then in 2021 **** broke and you could shoot arrows out of your arse. It also affected melee, allowing you to do things like single-target channelled attacks on people standing behind you. It affected anything - even single-target detaunts could be done when running directly away from someone.

The bug is now fixed and things are back to how they were on the Mythic servers as well as how it was on ROR up until the bug was introduced at some point 2021. You don't need to back-pedal, you need to lean / re-learn how to move/strafe and turn at the same time to keep someone in your front arc.

geezereur

Post#7 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:55 pm

I have tried my aoe abilities on pve mobs with my choppa and sometimes the damage dont register its like 40% chance to miss even if the mob stand right infront of me.

Ysaran

Post#8 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:31 pm

geezereur wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:55 pm I have tried my aoe abilities on pve mobs with my choppa and sometimes the damage dont register its like 40% chance to miss even if the mob stand right infront of me.
Look at last couple of posts
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=52882
Zputadenti

Ads
akisnaakkeli

Post#9 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:43 pm

Omegus wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:29 pm
Automation wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:13 pm Nope, there is a thing called straving.
Thats pro!
No, there was a thing called the facing bug, and I am the person who reported the bug back in 2021 when the bug tracker used to be on GitHub. A copy of it can be found on the new tracker (dates are wrong as they are based on when the ticket was copied over): https://bugs.returnofreckoning.com/view.php?id=19703

Before this bug, you had to keep people in your front arc for attacks to work. The "front arc" does not change if you are strafing as the arc is based on what would be your forward non-strafing direction. When kiting via strafing you still had to keep the person in your front arc by changing your facing (right mouse) while strafing. Then in 2021 **** broke and you could shoot arrows out of your arse. It also affected melee, allowing you to do things like single-target channelled attacks on people standing behind you. It affected anything - even single-target detaunts could be done when running directly away from someone.

The bug is now fixed and things are back to how they were on the Mythic servers as well as how it was on ROR up until the bug was introduced at some point 2021. You don't need to back-pedal, you need to lean / re-learn how to move/strafe and turn at the same time to keep someone in your front arc.
Things are not even close to what they were in Live Aor or even RoR wayback. Yes there was that bug you describe and yes now you have to really kite again, that part is true BUT 1.5s hard gcd (probably) and Rework broke all melee channels. Melee and Range channels both have 20ft extra before they break so they dont becoome completely useless like they are now, slightest movement on enemy will break melee channel atm and this is not even close to how its supposed to work.

All this cone of range bs in melee is also new and never was in Aor Or RoR before. Also atm in RoR you cant even place Pbaoe behind you, and these skills dont stack : D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYzFg40b7Uw This was considered not breaking los in Live Aor,Rof and the like still stacked. Los should be the same in RoR so like in Scs flags dont break los..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37l1M_4Hkho Another example how Rof and the like should function

Omegus

Post#10 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:20 pm

akisnaakkeli wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:43 pmThings are not even close to what they were in Live Aor or even RoR wayback. Yes there was that bug you describe and yes now you have to really kite again, that part is true BUT 1.5s hard gcd (probably) and Rework broke all melee channels. Melee and Range channels both have 20ft extra before they break so they dont becoome completely useless like they are now, slightest movement on enemy will break melee channel atm and this is not even close to how its supposed to work.

All this cone of range bs in melee is also new and never was in Aor Or RoR before. Also atm in RoR you cant even place Pbaoe behind you, and these skills dont stack : D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYzFg40b7Uw This was considered not breaking los in Live Aor,Rof and the like still stacked. Los should be the same in RoR so like in Scs flags dont break los..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37l1M_4Hkho Another example how Rof and the like should function
Devs have confirmed there are some AOE bugs at the moment so hopefully those get fixed. ROF was made non-stacking on line in patch 1.2.1 which came out in April 2009. To my knowledge, the GCD change didn't change anything with channels. I believe the range check changes (and the extra fudge-factor added in ROR to help compensate for high latency for people abroad) came with the ability rework, along with the stricter facing requirements.

One of the best ways to prove the general ability system is not matching live/etc is to find some clips from live (e.g. melee channels) which show them continuing to channel past 5ft or if out of the front arc. A huge amount of time was spent pouring over crappy old WAR videos from live to figure out various bits (I am not making this up: I was part of the very early testers and never want to see another 360p gank video to nu-metal or techno for as long as I live), but that doesn't mean that something wasn't missed.

Quickest way to get things looked at is with evidence from live to get a reply on whether something was an intentional change or if it's a bug in ROR.