Recent Topics

Ads

[Declined][Magus] Bolt of Change

For proposals that have been rejected.
Bozzax

Re: [Magus] Bolt of Change

Post#11 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:01 pm

FM + Chop Fasts + 5s Undef long range BoC = problem?
A reasonable RvR system that could make the majority happy http://imgur.com/HL6cgl7

Ads
peterthepan3

Post#12 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:03 pm

Because Choppa/Magus comps are the norm, and the Magus is ALWAYS going to be within 100ft range and not capitalising on their range buffs.

The issue doesn't resolve itself if your argument is adding another DPS to alleviate the concerns. The Magus ought to be able to be a standalone DPS - just as other DPS can be.

Bozzax

Post#13 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:07 pm

Not the point stop angry and consider undef FM spam. Is it a problem?

Not saying they should be 10s merly pointing out where 5s may cause problems. Players adapt and if it is very strong or op they'll likely use it exactly like that.

(The 13pts or 9pts dont matter)
Last edited by Bozzax on Wed May 17, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A reasonable RvR system that could make the majority happy http://imgur.com/HL6cgl7

peterthepan3

Post#14 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:08 pm

Bozzax wrote:Not the point stop angry and consider undef spam. Not saying it should be 10s merly pointing out where it may cause problems.

Players adapt and if it is very strong or op they'll likely use it

The 13pts or 9pts dont matter
This was tested already when BoC was 5 seconds: the only people that complained were solo players/people arguing from the perspective of disorganised PvP. There were hardly any (I can't recall a single complaint from a respectable source) complaints about BoC (Snipe is a different issue). It's very easy to anticipate.

anarchypark

Post#15 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:16 pm

both proposals are buff to magus/engi
they need slight nerf, not buff.

problem of 1) 5sec 188 range hard hitting undefendable spam.
problem of 2) synergy with DoT trees are too severe.
those 2 problems are the reason it's 13pt 10sec cd in the first place.

solution 2) may not cause ST tree OP. it's DoT tree that would become OP.
it can access both sustain dmg and spike dmg.

alternative solution -
too powerful DoT is source of unbalance.
reduce tick mechanic of DoT tree a little.
after that, move BoC/snipe to 9pt with 10cd.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

th3gatekeeper

Post#16 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Why not just make it a 5 sec CD, 13 point *DEFENDABLE* ability? Same with Snipe...

I mean, is having it defednable too harsh of a nerf? I dont really think so...
Sulfuras - Knight
Viskag - Chosen
Ashkandi - Swordmaster
Syzzle - Bright Wizard
Curz - Marauder
Andrithil - Blackguard

dansari

Post#17 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:23 pm

I see no problem with a 5s cd defendable ability. That's in line with many other classes.
<Salt Factory>

Whitesands

Post#18 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:35 pm

anarchypark wrote:both proposals are buff to magus/engi
they need slight nerf, not buff.

problem of 1) 5sec 188 range hard hitting undefendable spam.
problem of 2) synergy with DoT trees are too severe.
those 2 problems are the reason it's 13pt 10sec cd in the first place.

solution 2) may not cause ST tree OP. it's DoT tree that would become OP.
it can access both sustain dmg and spike dmg.

alternative solution -
too powerful DoT is source of unbalance.
reduce tick mechanic of DoT tree a little.
after that, move BoC/snipe to 9pt with 10cd.
To your point one: An ability that is on a 5 sec cool down is not spam-able, by definition. Morevoer, the ability requires one to be stationary and the fuller potency of BoC is tied to a pet that itself requires a considerable time stamp to build up.

To your point two: BoC was not moved because of any sense of synergy with DoT trees. It was moved (as was noted by the fellow who did the change) only because of the 5 second cool down. If the 5 second cool down no longer exists, the rationale for the move ends and the ability should be returned to its original 9 point position. It looks like Azarael was set to do this, but it didn't happen before he withdrew from the Balancing role.
Last edited by Whitesands on Wed May 17, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magus: Daemonfire
Engi: Handcannon

Ads
Whitesands

Post#19 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:44 pm

th3gatekeeper wrote:Why not just make it a 5 sec CD, 13 point *DEFENDABLE* ability? Same with Snipe...

BoC and Snipe are both undefendable. Whatever happens with BoC also would apply to Snipe. This means the danger or threat from a 5 second cool down of BoC, also applies to Snipe. There is parity.

For the months BoC and Snipe were on a 5 second cool down I didn't see any complaints. If one goes back and searches the forums I don't believe there were any threads about this as an issue. What it did do was place both the engi and magus in a position where they could be viable threats to the other side (and to each other as obvious counters). The 5 second cool down only increased their viability in group settings which is all to the good. A single target RDPS class should be dangerous on a target to target basis, that is the point of the specialization.
Last edited by Whitesands on Wed May 17, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magus: Daemonfire
Engi: Handcannon

th3gatekeeper

Post#20 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Whitesands wrote:
th3gatekeeper wrote:Why not just make it a 5 sec CD, 13 point *DEFENDABLE* ability? Same with Snipe...

BoC and Snipe are both undefendable. Whatever happens with BoC also would apply to Snipe. This means the danger or threat from a 5 second cool down of BoC, also applies to Snipe. There is parity.

For the months BoC and Snipe were on a 5 second cool down I didn't see any complaints. If one goes back and searches the forums I don't believe there were any threads about this as an issue. What it did do was place both the engi and magus in a position where they could be viable threats to the others side (and to each other as obvious counters). The 5 second cool down only increased their viability in group settings which is all to the good. A single target RDPS class should be dangerous on a target to target basis, that is the point of the specialization.
Yes... I get the snipe parity. Which is why I proposed.....

Making both BoC and Snipe 5 sec CDs, 13 point Mastery, but DEFENDABLE. Not undefendable. Most classes (besides tanks) dont have very high disrupt/dodge %s...

I also would question your "litmus" test for if its balanced or not "I dont believe there were any complaints" isnt a good gauge IMO. Especially considering in my time in ROR Magus hasnt exactly been the most popular class.... So its not like you WOULD complain because they werent as popular...

giving a 5 sec CD, hard hitting, undefendable ability... on a class that gets bonus crit damage to boot. IDK man... That seems like ots too much pressure, considering how "tanky" and self sustain the Magus can be compared to a Sorc or something.

Like I said... Would it really break the ability, if you made it defendable but on a 5 sec CD? This gives you MOST of what you want, and nobody can say its OP because you can "counter" it.

Thats the bottom line I think of any suggestion. Can you counter it.

With what you propose.. I hesitate because there really isnt a counter. You have ranged advantage, you do non physical damage (meaning less % mitigation) and its not defendable? How do you play against it then? Beg a tank to guard swap and a healer to heal? IDK....

Im pretty salty against the HUGE advantage RDPS has in this game.... so maybe thats just my bias coming though..
Sulfuras - Knight
Viskag - Chosen
Ashkandi - Swordmaster
Syzzle - Bright Wizard
Curz - Marauder
Andrithil - Blackguard