Recent Topics

Ads

Developer Musings: An Explanation of Recent Occurances & How We'll Fix Them

Talk about the development of the emulator and related services.
Check out new and upcoming features to be implemented onto the server.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Specialpatrol

Re: Developer Musings: An Explanation of Recent Occurances & How We'll Fix Them

Post#111 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:31 pm

I see you went ahead and changed Vigilance along with all the other stuff (without adding a hotfix note, interestingly enough) - despite opening up for a discussion of these now-implemented changes and getting basically nothing but negative feedback on it (Vigilance change in particular). So, what was the point of this thread, exactly?

Basically, you're "fix" for the negative reaction to the recent Chosen buffs now includes yet another nerf to kotbs (even that useless auto-detaunt tactic replacement for Efficient Swings can be considered a nerf) - and the reasoning behind it, is that the icon for the ability has a shield in it. Wow. That's some hardcore decoding right there - and of course tough to argue against.

It made me wonder what else might have been missed in this regard. So I tossed a quick glance on some other ability icons - and, for instance, Black Orc has one that portrays what is clearly an unarmored, nude even, black orc ("Da Biggest"), as well as another one showing just a fist ("Down Ya Go"). I assume these will be brought in line to require no armor and weapons equipped, respectively - yes?

Jokes aside, I'm rapidly losing faith in you self-proclaimed "game developers". All I'm seeing are bad ideas being replaced with other bad ideas. And despite there also is the occasional good idea, I simply no longer trust you guys have the skillset to actually handle game development at the level you're aiming at in a game such as this. And it's making people leave the game. Point in case. You had a server-capped population just a few months ago, mainly thanks to some youtuber - and you've managed to maintain approximately zero of them, give or take.

You can of course tell yourselves that it's just because people went back to work (which, granted, might explain some of it). But you could also take it as a wake-up call for a bit of introspection into other causes - like what you are doing to the game.

You can ban me now, if you want. I'm halfway out the door anyways.
APONYMOUS l WP l R40 l RR8X
BRAKEDOWN l KOTBS l R40 l RR8X
BOILING l BW l R40 l RR8X
PUFFED l SLY l R40 l RR8X
RHYTHM l AM l R40 l RR8X
EEWULL l DOK l R3X l RR4X

Ads
Secrets
Former Staff

Post#112 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:43 pm

Specialpatrol wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:31 pm You can ban me now, if you want. I'm halfway out the door anyways.
You can leave on your own. We don't ban you for having an opinion anymore. Besides, that's not up to me. Hasn't been like that for a few months to a year now; we ban people for offenses in the TOS.

Vigilance shield change is likely being reverted soon. Oppression may stick, but we'll discuss further. There's some good arguments in this thread against Vigilance requiring a shield.

And no, I am not a 'self-proclaimed' game developer. I am a software engineer in industry. I've shipped 2 titles in industry, got one ready to go out the door before getting a better opportunity elsewhere. If you want to bring my personal career choices into a discussion where you talk about your favorite class being nerfed in a game you didn't pay for, where people volunteer their free time to suit your needs, be my guest. You aren't getting the ban you ask for unless you break the rules. So far, you have not broken the rules.

Oglaf
Suspended

Post#113 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:54 pm

Noh wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:00 pm
Sigford wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:44 pm ...
The unused AP tactic was revamped into another tactic that will still be unused.
Moreover, the only one useful tactic being moved from 7pt to 11pt.
^this.

Truly the biggest crime of these changes.

Oglaf
Suspended

Post#114 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:02 am

Secrets wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:43 pm
Specialpatrol wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:31 pm You can ban me now, if you want. I'm halfway out the door anyways.
You can leave on your own. We don't ban you for having an opinion anymore. Besides, that's not up to me. Hasn't been like that for a few months to a year now; we ban people for offenses in the TOS.

Vigilance shield change is likely being reverted soon. Oppression may stick, but we'll discuss further. There's some good arguments in this thread against Vigilance requiring a shield.

And no, I am not a 'self-proclaimed' game developer. I am a software engineer in industry. I've shipped 2 titles in industry, got one ready to go out the door before getting a better opportunity elsewhere. If you want to bring my personal career choices into a discussion where you talk about your favorite class being nerfed in a game you didn't pay for, where people volunteer their free time to suit your needs, be my guest. You aren't getting the ban you ask for unless you break the rules. So far, you have not broken the rules.
Just edit the fluff text on Oppression to not mention a "shield slam" and there you go.

Secrets
Former Staff

Post#115 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:03 am

Oglaf wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:02 am

Just edit the fluff text on Oppression to not mention a "shield slam" and there you go.
I've already suggested that, but there was pushback internally.

Specialpatrol

Post#116 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:08 am

Vigilance shield change is likely being reverted soon. Oppression may stick, but we'll discuss further. There's some good arguments in this thread against Vigilance.

Oh. I was certain that expressing mistrust in the development team would result in a one-way ticket to banville. Seems to have been the case in the past. But apparently some things do change for the better.

And for the record, I'm not not bringing your personal career path into question. I'm simply judging you (the plural "you") and your abilities to actually develop and balance a game such as this by what I'm seeing and experiencing. And in that regard I'm not overly impressed, sadly. It seems to me you (again, the plural "you") strive to reinvent the game in ways you can't quite manage, which leads to both class and realm wide balance issues as well as locked down class play.

And I should maybe also add that I play several classes in this game - and I generally favour them all equally, despite some of them also struggle with ill-conceived redesigns (dare I mention AM?). This bit with Vigilance was just the tipping point.

Lastly, I wanna thank you for you openness, Secrets. It's much appreciated.

ADDITION: I just want to add, that I bought this game and paid a subscription from start till end, so in fact I did pay for this - and help fund the code, you are playing with.
APONYMOUS l WP l R40 l RR8X
BRAKEDOWN l KOTBS l R40 l RR8X
BOILING l BW l R40 l RR8X
PUFFED l SLY l R40 l RR8X
RHYTHM l AM l R40 l RR8X
EEWULL l DOK l R3X l RR4X

Oglaf
Suspended

Post#117 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:15 am

Secrets wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:03 am
Oglaf wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:02 am

I've already suggested that, but there was pushback internally.
Not as much pushback as to the idea to make the KoTBS version just better/more universal than the Chosen by removing the shield requirement for only one of them.

That, I truly hope, met with sooo much pushback.

JarlBerzirk

Post#118 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:26 am

So let me get this straight.

You now have to critically hit someone AND this is in the defensive tree? Is that really what im reading. This tactic will not be used at all now...you guys were on the right track by taking orders insane aoe down a notch and then just throw it all away? I understand this was a mistake but cmon...throw us a bone here...this is getting downright disheartening...

Ads
GamesBond
Former Staff

Post#119 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:36 am

Specialpatrol wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:08 am ADDITION: I just want to add, that I bought this game and paid a subscription from start till end, so in fact I did pay for this - and help fund the code, you are playing with.
An off-topic clarification that I don't intend to drag on with, but must be clarified:

That's some next level assumption, the subscription you paid for was for Warhammer Online and it ended on December 18 2013. We're Return of Reckoning here, a fan project based on the original Warhammer Online game. I totally know what you meant, but don't use it here and especially not as an argument reinforcement as if devs owe you something. You've solely chosen to relive the closest (not same) WAR experience by playing here, but you surely haven't "paid for the code" and developers aren't "playing with" that code. The code itself that you assume paying for would allow you to create a character and run around in T1, if you can even run it.

A little bit of respect for thousands of hours spent by developers here.

Secrets
Former Staff

Post#120 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:38 am

Specialpatrol wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:08 am ADDITION: I just want to add, that I bought this game and paid a subscription from start till end, so in fact I did pay for this - and help fund the code, you are playing with.
We don't have any of the original code from Mythic - but I get the sentiment here.