Recent Topics

Ads

Regarding Global Cooldowns

Talk about the development of the emulator and related services.
Check out new and upcoming features to be implemented onto the server.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Omegus

Re: Regarding Global Cooldowns

Post#11 » Mon May 23, 2022 3:47 pm

Automation wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:12 pm Game feels actually alpha stage atm.
It is. The "alpha phase" at the top of the banner is not intended as a joke.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Ads
Sulorie

Post#12 » Mon May 23, 2022 3:52 pm

jshort wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:45 pm "We can scale the stat & weapon multipliers to match a different global cooldown duration." Wasn't weapon dps on AoR much higher than in RoR? Lost vale 2hand weapons had 87 dps on live, rr75 sc 2hand had 101 dps. Highest weapon dps is RoR is 85.6. Though i dont know if you changed dps scaling for melee in RoR compared to AoR.
I guess you want to say higher GCD in AoR was ok, because we dealt so much more damage?

Max gear on live doesn't matter, if comparing GCD, as the GCD was the same all the time, even at lower gear level on live.
Dying is no option.

Kaelang

Post#13 » Mon May 23, 2022 4:04 pm

I'm not here to take away from any concerns raised as a result of the patch.

However, I do want to address concerns specifically surrounding AP.

As mentioned above this was a very intricate development change which in the long run is going to be exponentially beneficial to the longevity of the server and feasibility of development changes and patches. The problems that have occurred as a direct result are tangible problems that can be addressed relatively quickly. I'm not in the position to share ideas that are flowing internally - but the concerns being raised aren't being ignored and are valid.

It's much easier to fix the face value problems that occur from these back-end problems as opposed to reengineer processes. Does it suck that they've happened? Sure. Could we have done more to suppress these happening? Definitely (and it's noted). But did we expect some issues arising as a result of the changes? Yes. And we're working on getting them solved.

Fundamental development changes such as this one open the doors in the long term to new things and faster turn arounds. The problems we're having right this second are short term issues as a result of a long term solution.

As always, appreciate all of your constructive feedback on both the change itself and the delivery but I wanted to give some peace of mind to those thinking we're not addressing certain aspects.

Much love, blame the dwarves.
DiscordFacebookTwitterInstagram

I play around with Social Media, troll our players on Discord and officially hate anyone who plays a dwarf.

Maphyr

Post#14 » Mon May 23, 2022 4:10 pm

MaxHayman wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:00 pm In Age of Reckoning there was a 1.5 second global cooldown, which was pretty standard in MMORPGS and existed in games such as World of Warcraft.
Every MMO before WoW had zero GCD, the system was non-existent. WoW was the the first to introduce such non-sense.

zumos2

Post#15 » Mon May 23, 2022 4:11 pm

All of this without considering how you completely change how the game feels. To me this feels unplayable after playing 6-7 years on this private server. The team made many mistakes over the years, but usually you only on some classes. Now you **** up the feeling of the combat completely.
Zumos - Member of Red Guard

Current Guilds: The Unlikely Plan - Deep and Dry - Dark Omen

wonshot

Post#16 » Mon May 23, 2022 4:20 pm

Thanks for taking the time to explain, I did however wish we had more of this transparency more often in patchnotes to follow the dev vision and game direction better and understand where changes are coming from. (2018 had reasoning lines in patchnotes) Wether or not we agree as a community, atleast we dont have to guess what sparked a change.

As for patches and drastic changes, without the community having a roadmap to lean on we start speculating about why Ranked, lotd, city, scenarios, orvr, pve or whatever is getting adressed is getting Dev-time and why other areas are left alone in broken states. Example Garden dueling arena have been broken since before LOTD got introduced, why was this not adressed before pushing even more new categorical gamemodes is something we wonder about as a community, and the answer is probably because you guys are doing a good job being very short handed and purely volenteer. However,

When big drastic change come like this GCD and AP starvation patch. So many different areas of the game got affected and broke just listing from top of my head what seemed to break:
- Goblin mountup animation is now a back stretch instead of blowing the horn
- Gunbad puddle annimations are not showing in leftwing
- Witchelves couldnt log on
- Blackorcs started hitting themselves with 3hit combo
- Stancedancing aoe abilities broke (BO aoe kb still)
- MSH cooldown increaser broke
- Rams were ramming themselves
- keep doors were showing as friendly
- etc

Why so many different areas of a patch is breaking the game, is there no chance a patch can be fully reverted untill fixed or corrected. We still deal with ap issues since the patch not to mention orvr was in a DEAD state for more than two full days.
More than anything do I wish for this server to last long, improve and get new players but letting a patch destroy the daily playercount is really scary especially when summer downtime is around the corner, this patch did some serious damage to population and trust in the development patches.

So looking forward, its good to hear we are walking towards all of these good changes. Better ability system, new roleplay cities being used for citysiges and whatever else longterm.
But can we not stop, and start fixing all of the broken stuff first?

You guys wanna fiddle with the abilities and do career changes, fine! perfect! but how are we going to have balance changes when full abilities have been on bugtracker for a year and not functioning (sorc have a broken ability doing NOTHING)
Same for adding new content, or changing gamemodes, thats perfectly fine. But when are the old and broken stuff gonna get fixed if theres no big wave of mass recruiting developers and coders. When is Garden getting fixed with healing and guarding and missing debuffs showing, before LOTD phase 2?

I completly understand working towards a promised roadmap will kill some motivation, but oh Gork would it give just a little bit of insight into what direction the sever is headed.
Ranked have been getting massive focus over the last two years, and its as dead as ever afloat despite several attempts of live-support. Where are the limmited development hours getting used, if you dont mind us asking from the community? Because we care, and we actually want this server to live long and improve. But right now all we get is some dirty Secrets laundry and mudwars while hearing the one coder is giving ultimatums to the rest of the team, something we had hoped this privateserver was long past.

oh and as for the GCD, i dont personally care. Im much more interested in a roadmap and future direction.
Bombling 92BW - Bombthebuilder 82Engi - Bombing 82SL - Bling 81Kobs - Orderling 80WP - Jackinabox 67WH
Gombling 85mSH- Chopling 83Chop - Notbombling 82Sorc - Powerhouse 81Zeal - Goldbag 80Mara - Smurfling 75Sham -Blobling 66BO

HammerGuy

Post#17 » Mon May 23, 2022 4:26 pm

I can get used to the GCD change. It's annoying but I can do it. The AP change is infuriating though. It seems it would be an easy fix too. Not necessarily in terms of engineering, but rather in terms of the overall idea. Make the +AP/sec items work all the time while in combat (similar to the +morale/sec items).

Ultimately, the issue is the lack of communication. Making a huge change without explaining it to the community shouldn't have happened. Taking six days to explain a change that created such a huge backlash does not give me faith in the people in charge either.

Haojin

Post#18 » Mon May 23, 2022 4:29 pm

MaxHayman wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:00 pm ...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I read in your post is this:

1-You guys are not going to revert the patch because the change gives you smoother ground for playing with abilities and such.

2-You guys balanced stuff until the change with the old global cooldown system which is kinda groundless now and adjusting everything for the new system is not going to happen due to massive work.

Also, I don't know if this is the right place to ask but to clear the air.

-How are those major changes decided in the team? Could you clarify some of the Secret's assertions?
Last edited by Haojin on Mon May 23, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guildmaster of Phalanx

K8P - Karak Norn

Ads
dalen
Developer

Post#19 » Mon May 23, 2022 4:53 pm

wonshot wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:20 pm Ranked have been getting massive focus over the last two years, and its as dead as ever afloat despite several attempts of live-support. Where are the limmited development hours getting used, if you dont mind us asking from the community? Because we care, and we actually want this server to live long and improve. But right now all we get is some dirty Secrets laundry and mudwars while hearing the one coder is giving ultimatums to the rest of the team, something we had hoped this privateserver was long past.

oh and as for the GCD, i dont personally care. Im much more interested in a roadmap and future direction.
For the record, I've made no such ultimatums, that part was just completely made up.

Ranked got a lot of attention and development time around April-May 2021, and Season 2 was fairly active after that, Season 3 was even more active. But that game mode has barely had any changes in a year now. Can we just stop blaming Ranked for every other thing that hasn't gotten attention?
Source Developer

Orgruk

Post#20 » Mon May 23, 2022 4:57 pm

Why not use WS/BS to lower the GCD like it's done on many other games ? The end cost will though prevent from spamming too much when stacking too high of these stats ?
My Choppa/Slayer proposals : Better Rage > GTDC replacement > Balance