Recent Topics

Ads

Renown for tanking activities

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Aethilmar

Renown for tanking activities

Post#1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:46 pm

Executive summary: If it is technically possible, I would like for tanks get renown for successfully fulfilling their primary archetype roles of challenging and guarding.

Motivation: Both in and out of groups, healers get renown for healing. DPS get renown for DPSing. Tanks get nothing for fulling their primary duties of guarding and challenging (damage mitigation). To make matters worse, tanks have to be in group to use their guard ability where healers and dps don't. One of the few things that SWTOR got right when they ported over the WAR tanking system was to actually track and reward tanks for doing tank things. Would like to finally see that here.

Mechanic: Basically the damage difference between the full damage and the challenged/guarded damage counts as a heal for purposes of calculating renown.

Open question: Is there enough information tracked by the server to actually carry this out? I remember this being brought up on live and the answer seemed to be no but then again maybe they just didn't want to do it.

Edit note: Originally stated taunt reduces damage but incorrect. Confused original implementation (and SWTOR implementation) with current one. Edited for clarity.

Please do not use colors, especially those commonly used by Staff/Moderators.
-StormX2
Last edited by Aethilmar on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ads
HeroesFall

Re: Renown for tanking activities

Post#2 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:54 pm

An additional idea might be that since the game calculates how much damage you take while guarding (though group play is required), that can be used. In order for the damage to carry to your character the numbers / data have to be present.

I second this idea. Its always been a frustration as a tank ("key role") to not be eligible for the higher tier rewards. On a positive, the PQ's do give a bonus roll (but also based on contribution) that can help.

blaqwar

Post#3 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Inside of a group everything is split, exp, renown, influence, gold and even the drops are rolled for. For a tanks to fulfill their role they must be grouped (since guard, group morales and buffs only works on group members), which means they will get their share of rewards. I don't see a problem on that front.

The only issue is that healers/DPS have a metric tracked by addons/scenario scoreboards while tanks don't get that kind of love. But that's a minor issue, good tanks are far and few in-between as people are quick to point out and the ones doing their job are quickly recognised and commended.

For PQs tanks should be abusing the fact that extra contribution is given to the puller (or at least that's what I've heard/observed) and they are pretty much the only ones capable of pulling and tanking 20+ mobs in a PQ. Knights/Chosen have a really easy time getting Ruin. Well that and Raze :mrgreen:

CegeePegee
Former Staff

Post#4 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:31 pm

Question - do tanks currently NOT get assist renown for guarding dpsers? On my healers i always get assist renown for healing people who beat on an enemy once that enemy dies. If tanks aren't getting assist renown for guarding and taunting then I feel they definitely should.

HeroesFall

Post#5 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:09 pm

blaqwar wrote: For PQs tanks should be abusing the fact that extra contribution is given to the puller (or at least that's what I've heard/observed) and they are pretty much the only ones capable of pulling and tanking 20+ mobs in a PQ. Knights/Chosen have a really easy time getting Ruin. Well that and Raze :mrgreen:

I don't personally care about getting recognition on a leaderboard. As a tank / player, if my team acknowledges I'm a good tank, that's more than enough. I'd like to be able to gear as quickly as my peers though. If its shared in SC's, RvR, and any group activities, the point is moot (in my opinion).

You mention the Chosen and Knight, what about the other 4 tank classes? Can they successfully tank 20+ mobs and survive without a healer? I presume these two are mirrors and have some self-sustain. I don't have that knowledge at end game / ruin farming - which I assume is from PQ's at 40.

Natherul
Former Staff

Post#6 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:12 pm

HeroesFall wrote:
blaqwar wrote: For PQs tanks should be abusing the fact that extra contribution is given to the puller (or at least that's what I've heard/observed) and they are pretty much the only ones capable of pulling and tanking 20+ mobs in a PQ. Knights/Chosen have a really easy time getting Ruin. Well that and Raze :mrgreen:

I don't personally care about getting recognition on a leaderboard. As a tank / player, if my team acknowledges I'm a good tank, that's more than enough. I'd like to be able to gear as quickly as my peers though. If its shared in SC's, RvR, and any group activities, the point is moot (in my opinion).

You mention the Chosen and Knight, what about the other 4 tank classes? Can they successfully tank 20+ mobs and survive without a healer? I presume these two are mirrors and have some self-sustain. I don't have that knowledge at end game / ruin farming - which I assume is from PQ's at 40.
Works pretty fine for both my BO and BG :P

Aethilmar

Post#7 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:44 pm

To be clear, my primary request was for tanks to receive renown for engaging in universal tanking activities...specifically guard and taunts. Mostly this is just because it is so much easier for every other archetype (except maybe MDPS) to get renown. But the protection that tanks offer has to always be in party for them to reap a benefit. They can't even get credit for helping out the member of a different group in a SC unless they contribute damage to killing the opposition.

But the whole good tank/bad tank thing was brought up so I might as well mention another side benefit for having a transparent feedback and reward system for performing tanking duties which is:

Tanks only get in-game feedback for damage they do but they are not damage classes. Healers get in game feedback (scoreboard/renown/xp) for healing. DPS get it for killing. Tanks only get positive reinforcement for tanking by W/L (which is just not about them) and MAYBE if one of their teammates notices how well they swapped guards.

But numbers...renown numbers...coming back immediately provides a positive feedback loop that tells tanks they are effectively switching and challenging and taunting. If for no other reason than teaching tanks to use their tanking tools there should be rewards for using them (more or less) effectively.

Penril

Post#8 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Renown for taunting? Is OP serious?

Ads
Aethilmar

Post#9 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:39 pm

Penril wrote:Renown for taunting? Is OP serious?
Quite. Although technically it is renown for reducing damage through taunts, challenges and guarding since it is akin to actually healing someone.

Your tone indicates skepticism. Is there a particular reason you think tanks should not be rewarded for engaging in their core mechanic like other archetypes are?

Tesq

Post#10 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:12 am

all this talk about share renow are lies, when my retarded guild leader with his sorc kill something he get x and i get x /10 (ye you blast :P)

same game, same story, no difference from live for def tank XD