Recent Topics

Ads

Shadow warrior balanced proposal

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

Structured class balance suggestions belong in the Balance Proposal subforum. Class-related discussion in this section are considered as ongoing debates and ARE NOT reviewed for balance changes.
Ugle

Shadow warrior balanced proposal

Post#1 » Mon May 11, 2020 12:41 pm

So, my turn.. This is gonna be a rather lengthy post I’m afraid… The title isn’t a typo, I find the current SW balance proposals to be unbalanced, and will make the class even more broken than it is today.
So for starters a disclaimer; this will be a proposal for SW mainly, so don’t come crying “but mah SQ”, I play one myself, but don’t have the required detailed experience from MSH to make a full balance proposal about it.
SW and SH share some problems in some areas, while in other areas there are differences between the classes, mainly in their melee specs, along with the differences originating in the cross class mirroring concept of WAR. Therefore, the SH might need a slightly different medicine than the SW, and this is the reason why this post mainly relates to the SW. If you find some good points here, please feel free to use them for your own SH balance proposal.
To set the context of my proposal we need to agree on a couple of things in order to go forward in a constructive manner.

1. Class concept:

Everyone who picked the SW as a class to play, be it 12 years ago or yesterday, did so because they found the class enticing when looking upon it in the character selection. This I will call the concept of the class. When looking at the class in the character selector screen, you probably related this class to either; “Legolas” or “Ranger” these two are basically the same, I will address it as the “ranger” concept. The ranger concept in literature and mmorpgs are more or less a “jack of all trades, master of none” concept, with variations of pet related class etc (SH).

2. Class mechanic;

In order to understand my proposal you need to agree that the concept of the class mechanic is that the class mechanic mainly supports three goals:
  • a. Make the class mechanically and conceptually fun to play
    b. Improve your characters performance if you adhere to the mechanic
    c. Restrict and reduce your performance if you don’t adhere to the mechanic.
3. Path specialization:

The last common operator for WAR clases is that all classes have a path specialization.
The class specialization enables you to enhance a certain playstyle within the class concept and the class mechanic with obvious consequences, both in play style and environment.

Now, the combination of the class concept with the class mechanic and path specialization should sum up into the power level of the class, that, given optimal play (be it high or low skill level) should result in a relative power level of the class compared to the other classes it competes against. This power level is what should be sought to be as balanced as possible for all classes from a developer point of view.

Now these two things are cleared up, I’ll kill the first usual misconception people get when they see the term “jack of all trades, master of none”; It does not mean the relative power level of the class should be any less than that of a “pure bred” dps class of either the melee or ranged concept. What it means is that if played correctly, adhering to you class concept and class mechanic, the sum of “master of none” should still be equal to the powerlevel of that of a purebred dps class of either discipline.
This is of course rather hard to balance, and is comparable to lifetap healers, who are notorious of being either god mode or useless.

The last context that needs to be set is what kind of environment the class operates in. In WAR this is “smallscale hero” or “Zerg” (put to the point ofc), and being successfully balanced means your class is able to operate on the same relative power level in either environment. It is of course very hard to balance 24 classes to be 100% equal in all environments, but again, it should be sought to make the relative power level of all classes as balanced as possible. So, lets say you want to reduce the discrepancies in power level between the classes. (the successfulness of “environment balancing” is statistically evident in preferred WB compositions in city sieges for example)

Of course, there are other factors to be counted in while balancing, for example how well the classes and skills synergize with each other in different environments and compositions, but if you get the two first right, the rest is easier to manage.

So, the TL;DR so far is;
You need to have a class concept vision that is supported by a class mechanic that enables you to operate on the same power level across classes in different environments.
Currently the SW is very close to the bottom in this power level comparison, maybe competing with WH, SH, engie, magus, shammie and AM. (my personal opinion ofc)

-----------------------------------------
In this section I will address the actual balancing proposals.

Firstly we need to recognize the fact that SW (and SH) burst potential was very focused around the now removed M2 “Unshakable focus”. This was a very lazy/stupid concept by Mythic, which required the classes to have a relative low power level without it, because of the morale.
It was a very good and necessary move by the ROR team to remove it. However, the full implications in burst potential loss was never thoroughly addressed, hence the classes suffer. I will also address this.

Briefly a note about path specialization that is paramount for my balance proposal:
In this proposal the concept is that at some level, you will be able to play your class concept, regardless of path specialization, but your path specialization will enable you to go deeper into one of the listed play styles;

Scout; commonly known as “turret” playstyle, for medium high dps output from long range at the cost of mobility and survivability

Assault; commonly known as “melee” playstyle, for high damage output at the cost of lower range capabilities and a higher degree of support requirement in order to function.
(guardbot/heals)

Skirmisher; commonly known as “kiting” playstyle, for less burst, more sustained damage output, but with the most mobility and hence survivability.
Now these paths specializations should have a purpose both in small scale and large scale combat, but to varying degrees.

To start on the actual proposals I will start with the assault spec, because in certain ways it already is or it will be overperforming when the other specs are brought up to date because of the nature of the class mechanic. The path was revised (now only fully functional spec dmg wise after UF was removed) and got a new merciless soldier tactic that actually performs well, but that also opens up counterplay (i.e with negative chance to be crit, ASW dmg output is negated)

Assault;
  • 1. Remove Shadowstep, replace with current melee pbaoe 2400 dmg morale.

Reasoning is that shadowstep synergizes too good with other mobile classes on order, it grants too much defensive capabilities. Reducing the defensive capabilities will leave the skill as a never used skill at the top of the tree. The pbaoe morale is good, but is not in harmony with the ranged specs, i.e you need to spec it in melee. (also main gripe on destroy will be removed , with too much mobility)

2. Remove Crosscut, replace with speccable standard melee charge and snare/root immunity skill.

a. Reasoning is that if you remove shadowstep, the class needs a new charge and snare/root breaker like other melee oriented classes in order to be viable. At nine points into Assault, that is a good place to put it in order to not “give it for free” in ranged spec, i.e, you want this, you have to give up range spec goodies. Also crosscut chance to be crit component is slightly overtuned, as it gives you and all others hitting the target +10% crit, significantly reducing the actual counterplay option against ASW, as well as giving the ASW options to spec less into crit, more into defences (single target dmg god with insane mobility and tank armor level, we all know it)

Scout; Currently there is little reason to spec scout, the path is outperformed by skirmisher and assault in every way possible. This is what I believe will fix its viability:
  • 1. Remove guerrilla training tactic at 3p, replace with no quarter, 1 sec cast time reduction on eagle eye only.
    2. Swap place between festering arrow and fell the weak.
    a. Reasoning, you want FA, with enchanted arrow for festerbomb, you have to spec deep for it.
    3. Acid arrow effectiveness redesigned with an exponentional increase in armor debuff the more you sec into scout. (unspecced base as it is now, up to 1500+ if fully specced into scout. This way you will have an effective armor debuff but you will have to pay for it.
    4. New tactic in 11p: Acid arrow now applies to everyone within 20 feet of your target.
    a. Reasoning; make scout sought after in wb play with unique aoe armor debuff. This would guarantee you need at least one in your WB.
Skirmisher; this will be the main (but not only) AOE spec with my proposed changes.
  • 1. Make eye shot core ability, but tie KD component to VoN.
    a. Reasoning; RKD is a class concept ability, needs to be accessible in all specs, but availability needs to be reduced as to not make it OP across all specs.
    2. Replace eye shot with flanking shot at 13p, but redesign to give critical dmg increase instead of critical chance increase relative to targets hit point status.
    a. Reasoning, skirmish needs some more burst, with this change flanking shot will be worthy of a 13p ability
    3. Move powerful draw to 7 point tactic slot, in order to make the tactic available in a larger variety of spec combinations. The power level of the tactic allows for a 7p tatic slot.
    4. Shadow sting switch place with Barrage
    a. Reasoning; spammable heal debuff is a main class concept ability, also it will allow for a Wider variety of builds.
    5. Revise Keen arrowheads tactic and put in 11 point slot: Keen arrowheads; Shadow sting will now apply to all targets within 20ft of your target, add cooldown 10 seconds to Shadow sting.
    a. Reasoning: With this change skirmisher spec SW will be sought after in warband play with a unique aoe heal debuff.
    6. Remove dmg reduction component off Split arrows tactic
With these changes you will allow for a more diverse build variety, but if you want the good stuff, you need to spec deeply. You will not be able to spec aoe Acid arrow and aoe Shadow sting without gimping your own damage output effectiveness because of tactic requirements, you will be a valuable addition to any warband, it will not destroy smallscale performance either by being too good or too bad.

These changes will make the SW a more balanced and fun class to play, while adhering to the class concept, utilizing the class mechanic and path specialization.

But is this enough, will this remedy the fact that the dmg output is still to low compared to other classes?

No, but my next general proposals will, although not directly, but rather indirectly, and only effective if you play your class well.

General changes;
  • 1. VoN; reduce CD by 10 seconds to 20 seconds. This will increase your damage output for burst potential, while it still will require AP, a GCD ( you effectively will get off 5 – 6 abilities in the 10 sec window) as well as your RKD will have a higher availability, but not on demand. You will need to think before you “spam it” handing out free immunities. You want to use your RKD, then you better make sure you are in a position to also benefit from the increased dmg output from VoN. This way you will not need to increase damage of any other ability by a flat amount percentage or the lazy approach of “please gief moar dmg”

2. Hunters Fervor; Largely useless due to the amount of increase and the nature of ap gain, this should be redesigned to the following: “For the next 10 seconds your party will reduce AP cost of all abilities by 50%”. This will again be a reason to pick SW for group because it will increase the performance of other AP starved classes, but not all, so it is not an over the top change.

3. Steady Aim: This is a useless skill outside of one specific use, festerbomb, which is pretty useless in itself in its current form, also SW do not need more critical chance. My proposal is to redesign it into the following; Reduce cast time by 50% for 10 seconds for your party. Increase CD to 45 seconds.

a. Reasoning; Again, this will make the SW a valuable addition in any group/WB, but it will not affect instacast abilities (SWs own melee abilities or melee abilities in
    general), but it will be a nice addition under certain circumstances), both to increase damage output in a burst period, but also increase heal output for your group. For
    example ahead of a push. It will also synergize well with focused mind, where you can train them, for a total of 20 sec reduced cast time. This will not be over the top,
    because again, you only have time for 6 -7 abilities in the time frame of the skill, and if you want to train it with focused mind, then you have to give up other m2
    morales like ambush (which is borderline OP imo)
With these proposed changes you keep the class concept intact, gives it more conditional burst, you need to use the mechanic in order to perform the best, you will be a valuable addition to WB play, and you will not be overperforming in smallscale.

Final note regarding “buth what about mah SH??!”

The concept of aoe armor debuff and aoe heal debuff can be transferred to the SH in the same way, you need to take into consideration the melee squig performance (which is slightly over the top today), you need to take into account the benefits and restrictions of SH pet mechanic and its implications.

Flame away
Ugle

Edit; I see I missed an important part of new shadow sting aoe tactic, 10 sec cooldown to allow for cleanse counterplay.
Last edited by Ugle on Tue May 12, 2020 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
inactive

Ads
Manatikik

Re: Shadow warrior balanced proposal

Post#2 » Mon May 11, 2020 10:47 pm

So the long and the short of it is: these are bad changes.

It makes AoE Skirmish way too OP man.. Like wtf OP - you want to let Order WB run with an AoE 1,000+ Armor debuff, AoE Inc HD, on a Tank Armor level Class, all from 100ft? Slayer/WL WB's will tear through anyone without pause with this change. One SW per WB would be required and just do no damage and be a Debuff Bot.

The Assault changes are bad. These changes would kill SW's viability at small scale. Shadow Step's defenses could be toned down but still has double the CD of WL's pounce and MSH (if they are bad and don't run TA). Crosscut makes up a large protion of ASW's burst (which is about on par with all other MDPS classes in organized fights) AND reduces their effectiveness as a debuffer for their party (which is a large reason you take a ASW). A snare breaker should be given to SW/MSH by default at this point to stay consistent with the fact that DPS WP/DoK get one baseline; and if devs want to be inconsistent with their hybrid mentality then Swift Strikes should give (in addition) a Snare (not root) immunity/removal based on how many successful attacks you land with SS. ASW is honeslty in a really good spot right now that too many people want to nerf for unfounded reasons.

The main issues with Scout are not even a little touched with your proposals. The issue with Scout is that it is a "jack of all trades" in and of itself for ranged DPS (ST). You can either choose the Engi/Magus stationary, long range, long build ups, and HUGE burst or you can go with the BW/Sorc with more mobile, faster rotations, for your burst (that is still arguably too high for how fast and mobile it is for a RDPS). To get to the Stationary strategy then you would need to increase range by ~50% and increase damage by a large amount (also make FA/Poison Arrer undefendable like Snipe/BoC) BUT this play style does not fit into the mold of a Stance class. You should be more immobile and have longer range in Scout but it also needs to flow into either a) very stationary with assault as your back up to defend yourself at melee when people inevitably get to you or b) flow in and out of mobility with skirmish kiting and then setting up Kills being immobile for 5-10s stints in Scout. I prefer option B greatly. The solution to that is quite easy to come to.

As you pointed out, with the removal of UF both SW/SH have way too low of tool tip numbers (Engi has had more reworks and changes in RoR which have bumped it up past Live already so it doesn't need more raw damage), though I would not tough melee numbers on either class. The other glaring issue is that Ranged SW/SH are the ONLY dps in the game with out a flat damage % modifier (be it flat like Rage/turret mechanic or crit damage modifier like Combustion or MDPS tactics) - this is huge for their lacking burst. So you either need to increase their Tool Tip numbers by 2 different factors at the same time to achieve a comparable level of damage to other RDPS classes and still bring the same amount of utility for more work (at least in the SW case, SH utility is very straight up) - this will likely trigger a lot of people making SW/SH viable - and is realistically the only change that Scout needs (aside from maybe Eye Shot being Core and HD being brought back to its normal location and Flame Arrow mirroring Explodin' Arrer's range of 85 -> 100 ft).

People like to over think what SW need when in reality its just a few easy changes away to keep them interesting, bring back Stance dancing, and make them viable in all avenues of gameplay to at least make them puggable without being an insta-loss.
<Montague><Capulet>

svonludwig

Post#3 » Mon May 11, 2020 11:15 pm

I have played SW off and on since game was released. Never really the easy class to maximize full potential. I play mostly skirm based and find it pretty solid as is. The -30% split arrows isnt that bad. Your still bombing like crazy, especially if you pair with exploding shots. I think the range bonus for skirm is good where it is. I really havent spent time getting good with Assault so ill leave that one alone. I agree with most that Scout needs the work. The M4 is worse than Hail, as it takes longer to spit out the damage. I would make that a hard 2400 20' bomb. Or something similar to Burning head. A big hit with an added effect or morale loss or a Dot. That would pull people to scout. Add a minor morale pump somewhere in there and id call it good. Maybe like +50 with a crit or or something. That or increase the range of scout stance to like +25%.
Ives read both your post recently on other SW topics and find them helpful. Thanks

saupreusse
Developer

Post#4 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:49 am

as much of a grump mana is again i have to admit that a aoe spammable hdbf combined with an aoe armor debuff all in 100ft range would be quite a game breaker. Im all in favor of buffing acid arrow and steady aim/hunters fervor. for scout id imrpove some of the ranges on some abilities like Flame arrow and bhd to 100ft and give the spec access to eye shot by making it baseline. the only thing as you and others pointed out that skirm really needs is burst and/or higher sustained dmg. I also dont think Melee SW should get changed again. the last time i checked it was pretty sweet and atm is hands down the best spec for sw atm.

TanithScout

Post#5 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:10 am

SW really isn't that bad. Its just there are tons of bad SW. These are overboard.

If you're arguement is to make changes so 'then one can be taken in WB' then they already have some useful tricks to synergise. Do they synergise as well as a standard dps? Debateable, but that is a perception problem.

Leading shots and makes an aoe mdps delivery system do a lot more dmg in WB rvr. You 'sacrifice' one party slot to buff the other 5, but the SW can still help a lot. 4 slayers or 3.5 with the .5 being buffed by a SW (which doesn't happen) isn't such a bad tradeoff. If they cant AT LEAST play accordingly... spam LA while target anything in a zerg the problem isnt the class. RKD is a death sentence in the correct situation. Snare and peel/disarm in smaller scale. If these SW's didn't stay in Skirmish all day they'd be so much more useful.
Sometimes you have to just hit a tankwall until there is an opening for the shotcaller to exploit, Pierce defences can help here, you might even get a kill and start a res cycle. LA isn't ideal but it's constant dmg and can crit in RvR for a respectable amount on chaff and SW NEVER RUNS OUT OF AP. EVER. You can chuck this constantly and thats some pressure dmg eating into enemy healing.

These things are, unfortunately, what SW brings. they are considered bad but they have their places in increasing the overall DPS of the order WB, which is SW's role in all levels of play except maybe 6v6.

Personally I enjoy SW and think it;s fine for most play but needs to be respected more in WB. Scout needs soemthing too. Anything.

I'd suggest:

Eagle Eye needs soemthing bolted on. Anything. A built in proc for a %of damage each hit (or a tactic that adds this), a damage increase from all sources, I don';t know how these are implemented, but I feel eagle eye needs a buff and Scout will be ok. Not to mention free meat...

Perhaps Steady Aim could be changed to reduce cast times freeing up slots. or is that too obvious/OP? I don't think so. Assault does fine wthout it now, Skirmish and Scout would benefit greatly.

SFA aoe tactic is garbage. I don't think anyone is disputing this, it should be merged with something like Centuries of Training or BloodSoaked War. They could be tweaked accordingly and amalgamated sicne they synergise well.

Lastly morale changes. Ohh morale changes.... SW used to have great AoE snipe potential but that was removed cos WB morale blah blah someone probably got sniped too much blah blah. Doesn't matter, its done. Same for FA bomb but that was even more niche. Kinda glad to see it gone tbh. The AOE DOT/Snare replacement was quite good but is rarely used BECAUSE sw doesn't hae the afmorementioned place in WBs even if they are considered viable and you wouldnt take the morale if you were solo/smallscale. It is incredibly potent however when timed with an attack but not utilized. If it could provide a speed buff to group/nearby friendlies would this be OP? I mean SW literally has procs called Charge Forth itd be fitting and extremely useful in WB/pvx lake roaming play.

Assault is great, it forces current SW to lean mroe towards melee and the mdps build is viable. Just great.

Apart from a few core abilities I dont think SW needs much, they just need greater tools to make them valued. Everyone also knows their dmg can be low but thats not a SW issue per se, it's a armour mitigation issue and 'simply' allowing to pierce this isn't great fr balance. This could be fixed by changing armor pots i.e adding a new relatively common material to the loot pool that makes a weaker version of the current endgame armor pots thus making the current stronk armour pots more expensive and rarer, helping a lot of physical classes inciredtly while also boostingthe economy side of things, cos thats fun... again dont know if thats possible.

In short, SW needs indirect buffs/a perception change in usefulness, not direct power creep buffs IMO. Just leave assault alone for the melee players.
Qonrad, the knave of Nagarythe, Ghost of the Garior.

Imperial, Myrmidia's Chosen

Live: Karak Azgal Guild: They Took Our Jobs (Explicit Content) Char: Neomir/HCTBoom/Jinnz

repel
Game Artist

Post#6 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:14 am

Manatikik wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:47 pm The Assault changes are bad. These changes would kill SW's viability at small scale. Shadow Step's defenses could be toned down but still has double the CD of WL's pounce and MSH (if they are bad and don't run TA).
LOL man amother damagers have to waste renown points to get parry/dodge/disrupt Why is MSW special? Shadowstep gives 25!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!parry/dodge/disrupt.
ok make CD of shadowstep 10 sec instead of defence. But all msws will cry like girls because they like current OP state of MSW.
Apache SH

Arthem

Post#7 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:58 am

Revert eye shot back to core. Don't know why it was nerfed.

Revert heal debuff to 6 points. Don't know why it was nerfed.

Revert Ambush morale 2 to Outrider Patrol. Don't know why we lost our best DD morale 2.

Revert Expert skirmisher from requiring a target to apply build reduction. Don't know why our aoe was nerfed.

TanithScout

Post#8 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:32 pm

Arthem wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:58 am

Revert Expert skirmisher from requiring a target to apply build reduction. Don't know why our aoe was nerfed.
Qonrad, the knave of Nagarythe, Ghost of the Garior.

Imperial, Myrmidia's Chosen

Live: Karak Azgal Guild: They Took Our Jobs (Explicit Content) Char: Neomir/HCTBoom/Jinnz

Ads
NSKaneda

Post#9 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:17 pm

TanithScout wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:32 pm

I guess excessive fester bombs on both order and des some 2 years ago might've been behind it ;)
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *

Manatikik

Post#10 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:44 pm

NSKaneda wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:17 pm
TanithScout wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:32 pm

I guess excessive fester bombs on both order and des some 2 years ago might've been behind it ;)
No it was a blanket nerf to SH/SW for LA/STY spam in Summer 2017 and to grab other more utility skills such as Magnet/Rift.

@Fox - IDK i think you overestimate what most average players weigh the defensive proc as vs a shorter CD.

@Arthem all of those are decent changes I agree with; My full list of changes (roughly thought up and typed out) are:

Skirmish
• Powerful Draw allows you to AA on the move, ranged, in all stances
• Eye Shot to core
• Flanking shot to 13 point; add a snare component/crit chance reducer
• Shadow Sting back to 5pc
• Barrage to 9 pts with fleeting AoE snare
• Rework Keen Arrowheads into making LA 1s cast, and reduce AP by 5-10

Asault
• Remove the defensive proc on Shadow Step but replace with 5s fleeting speed boost OR reduce to 10s cd
• Swift Strikes now applies a snare immunity/removal for 1s per hit that lands
• Counterstrike does half base damage BUT if successfully interrupts a spell then deals and additional 83% of the original damage (so a successful Counterstrike is 33% stronger than before but a missed Counterstrike is only 50% current damage)
• Reduce Grim Slash AP from 35 -> 25 (consistent with other spammable attacks)
Scout
• Increase Flame Arrows range from 85 -> 100 ft
• Swap No Quarter and Enchanted Arrows
• Increase base damage of Rapid Fire by X%
• Make Festering Arrow undefendable (mirrors Snipe/BoC but keeps lower range due to No Quarter possibilities)
• Increase Range modifier to 25%

General
• Increase all tool tips by X% and an additional Y% on Scout abilities
• Reduce Hunter’s Fervor to 30s CD
• Return Outrider Patrol and remove Ambush
<Montague><Capulet>