How to play faster

Ask for in-game support. Bugs go to the Bug Tracker.
Forum rules
READ THE STICKIED THREADS BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The answers you may seek are likely already there.

Thank you.
Ysaran

Re: How to play faster

Post#11 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:53 am

I had your same problem couple of years ago. i play from a laptop and it's impossible for me to reach 1-6 buttons in a confortable manner. i started mapping the buttons near q,w,e and s and buying a mouse with 2 side-uttons. note that 2 buttons=6 actual buttons, since you can use ctrl and alt for alternative bindings. also a mouse with 2 side-buttons doesn't cost much, i bought one for like 10€.
Another solution is to buys a MMO mouse. atm I'm using a razer naga trinity, it has 12 side-buttons and i bough it from amazon warehouse for 40€. now i can't even immagine playing without it.

also, nerfed buttons it's not that difficult to learn and it has a very limited utility. I use it just for minor things (pots, HoT/DoT rotation mainly). i suggest you to learn how to use it because it take away a lot of human errors from your gameplay (e.g. missclicking) and also to make your own rotations you have to know how skills actually works. it helped me a lot figuring out what works a for a class and what not. just don't grow too attached to it or you wont be able to play classes where it is not very usefull (like BO/SM)
Zputadenti

Ads
Bucinator

Post#12 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:09 am

There are several things I've done in the past 10 years when playing MMOs.
  • Do not map "Turn" functions. Turn using your mouse (holding down right-click)
  • I always map strafe to A-D buttons. This frees Q and E
  • I can only reach comfortably the keys 1 to 4, Q, E, R, F, C, X
  • In all games I've played, I always use a default key for mount - Z
  • Therefore, with those keys in check, I add a modifier - shift.
  • Usually, there are skills on high demand that you will use pretty often, therefore you can map those without any modifier (use buttons above)
  • There is a tradeof, you cannot cast an ability with Q while strafing left or ability with E while strafing right. However, this is compensated by using the first tip (mouse movement)
  • If you're ranged, map Q and E to skills that can be used on the move.

Dabbart

Post#13 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:14 am

I use 1-4, Q, E, R, T, M1, M2, then use Alt/Shift with the same keys. Maybe it's being a carpenter, but my hand can't go past T while moving and not cramp eventually. This combo gives me 30 hot-keys, plus another for auto-run, mount, flee, and obviously the most important action, Jumping. A lot of good advice here already, so I'll stick to NB.

NB is easy to set-up. DL it from here and follow the usual addon installations, then enable it.

Rclick on an ability, then drag and drop a couple abilities in the order you want them in, I suggest sticking to your main DoT/HoTs, and maybe a couple longer CD abilities. Stack the abilities by dragging and dropping from your character ability tab, then click Save. Type "/nb edit #" With the # being the number the Nb string you want to work on is. After the DoT/HoT ability type ";st:1:s::1". This will stack the DoT/HoT once only counting your casts, and if your target doesn't have the HoT/DoT, or if it only has 1s remaining, it will be the first ability in the string once again. Follow it with something you wont need to cast BEFORE that HoT/DoT For instance, my DoK has a HoT, and Restore Essence on the same Hotkey, 5 in this case which is my Q key. looks like this:

/nb add 5 [Soul Infusion];st:1:s::1[Restore Essence]

Stack your Potions on one key, you don't need to do anything fancy. Also, stack an AP pot on the same key as Flee.

That's about all I would suggest a newer player use NB for. 1-2 keys for a few select abilities to lighten your overall hot-kley requirement. It isn't trustworthy to use for much else. You can use "/nb checks" to see all of the things it can do, but it loves to break on longer strings. Don't put anything behind NB that you HAVE to be able to use.

Gl!
Last edited by Dabbart on Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:31 am, edited 6 times in total.
Azarael wrote: It's only a nerf if you're bad.

(see, I can shitpost too!)
Secrets wrote: Kindly adjust your attitude to actually help the community and do not impose your will on it. You aren't as powerful as you think.

wachlarz

Post#14 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:14 am

lern use nb addon

Arkteryx

Post#15 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:32 am

Dabbart wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:14 am I use 1-4, Q, E, R, T, M1, M2, then use Alt/Shift with the same keys. Maybe it's being a carpenter, but my hand can't go past T while moving and not cramp eventually. This combo gives me 30 hot-keys, plus another for auto-run, mount, flee, and obviously the most important action, Jumping. A lot of good advice here already, so I'll stick to NB.

NB is easy to set-up. DL it from here and follow the usual addon installations, then enable it.

Rclick on an ability, then drag and drop a couple abilities in the order you want them in, I suggest sticking to your main DoT/HoTs, and maybe a couple longer CD abilities. Stack the abilities by dragging and dropping from your character ability tab, then click Save. Type "/nb edit #" With the # being the number the Nb string you want to work on is. After the DoT/HoT ability type ";st:1:s::1". This will stack the DoT/HoT once only counting your casts, and if your target doesn't have the HoT/DoT, or if it only has 1s remaining, it will be the first ability in the string once again. Follow it with something you wont need to cast BEFORE that HoT/DoT For instance, my DoK has a HoT, and Restore Essence on the same Hotkey, 5 in this case which is my Q key. looks like this:

/nb add 5 [Soul Infusion];st:1:s::1Restore Essence]

Stack your Potions on one key, you don't need to do anything fancy. Also, stack an AP pot on the same key as Flee.

That's about all I would suggest a newer player use NB for. 1-2 keys for a few select abilities to lighten your overall hot-kley requirement. It isn't trustworthy to use for much else. You can use "/nb checks" to see all of the things it can do, but it loves to break on longer strings. Don't put anything behind NB that you HAVE to be able to use.

Gl!
Why would you use codes to edit you nerfed buttons when the gui is so much easier? Seems like a lot more hassle, especially for someone learning. Just right click the action bar you want to edit and follow the prompts. Only trick is that there's a hidden "+" on the left side of the gui above the up/down arrows that let's you add checks.

Dabbart

Post#16 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:34 am

Because it's easier to give a string people can copy paste imo. If they want to dive in and learn cool. If not, copy paste is simple.
Azarael wrote: It's only a nerf if you're bad.

(see, I can shitpost too!)
Secrets wrote: Kindly adjust your attitude to actually help the community and do not impose your will on it. You aren't as powerful as you think.

Hienzwar

Post#17 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:59 am

Keep practicing and use mobs to figure out a good rotation for you and your class, alot of play is situational so think about what you always use and what you use less often, this will help you map your rotation - if you have been clicking for so long it will be a hard to go cold turkey but keyboard button use is far far easier, good luck!

Arkteryx

Post#18 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:08 am

If you're going to be using NB, you should understand what your buttons do. Copy-pasting someone else's macros is a recipe for disaster.

Ads