Recent Topics

Ads

[Magus] Why would anyone play Magus over Sorc?

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
ToXoS

Re: [Magus] Why would anyone play Magus over Sorc?

Post#71 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:49 am

dansari wrote:What? Not true. Sorc and BW are far more bursty than SW or SH (while SH has more burst than SW). And Festerbomb happens on a 1min timer and can be dodged/blocked.
SH more bursty than a SW?
SH spiked squig is about 15% the total damage of the SH.
ALL SW abilities hits from 15 to 30% more than SH ones. It varies if it is a DoT or a direct damage ability.
Anyway, this combined with a simple VoN is enough to obliterate the SH when it comes to burst.
There is also things like Steady aim that helps a lot.

Also, no festerbomb possible as a SH.

Ads
Arteker616

Post#72 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:17 am

dansari wrote:What? Not true. Sorc and BW are far more bursty than SW or SH (while SH has more burst than SW). And Festerbomb happens on a 1min timer and can be dodged/blocked.
Considering squig need a m2 to burst u will bomb with fester faster he can burst u down with m2. do you realize all ur dmg skills mirrored on sh do actualy btw 15 and 20% more dmg ?. sh doesnt have flanking shot aswell wich can hit harder than their finisher at all :shock:

dansari

Post#73 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:49 am

Lol I love the Fester comments. Fester is not a spec considered to be good by anyone other than the people who look at paper and say.. oohhh so damage much wow (normally people that don't play SW). I don't play SH but I've been bursted by one (outside of m2) and while a SW can provide more consistent damage, a SH can provide more burst (outside of a gimmicky Fester spec that anyone above rr49 outlives). That was my point. One that can likely be validated by SH mains.

My other point is, again mainly for devil's advocate, why does a magus need to have the ability to burst? Sorc can burst from range and is the prime class to do so. SH have better burst than their "mirror" albeit by only a little. Out of all of the rdps classes destro has, does it not warrant having a supporting dps? Sure you could take a sorc instead but the same can be said for taking a BW over an engy.

Edit: I just re-read the first statement. Lol. Steady Aim. Steady Aim hasn't had a place on my hotbar since mid 2016. Lol. **** steady aim. Gtfo
<Salt Factory>

Daknallbomb
Game Artist

Post#74 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:40 am

The easiest answer : you got a **** disc with dragon heads what you want more?
Tinkabell 40/41 Magus Whaagit 40/41 SH Whaagot 40/54 BO Daknallfrosch 40/72shammy

neutrino

Post#75 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:10 am

peterthepan3 wrote:damage numbers aren't the problem, it's the application of said damage. a good magus can maintain the dmg buff for majority of time/whenever he does his rotation.
You're right - the application of said damage is just as important. That said the class in its current form has more overhead than the majority of the dps classes. At the very least its a pain in the ass for fast moving combat. You can swap in the tactic to spawn your pet faster but its just that - you need to use up a tactic just to spawn your pet faster. There's more maintenance overhead to manage combat and zero in on optimal dps. I think the magus can still have its versatility yet, not be so complicated to manage the mechanics.
Home of Warhammer Drow "Old School"!

Tankbeardz

Post#76 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:22 am

neutrino wrote:
Torquemadra wrote:
neutrino wrote:
Torque, thanks for that info - Can you name some of the abilities you're speaking about? I assume bolt of change, which its the one undefendable ability, and SVF with the swift flames 3 sec cooldown tactic. Something is off on SVF damage with surging power. It's not hitting over 1k like it use too with the 50% crit tactic. I also see flickering red fire now benefits from surging power, but its 2sec cast time with its travel time sucks. I still love magus class but the changes that came after the first class adjustment didn't really help alot. Damage is easily negated (resists, bubbles, absorps, cleanses), there are to many dependencies to get damage high, and cast times/setup to do maximum damage takes too long. I'd start with widening the pet buffs or let them move with the caster. I'd cut cast and dot tick times. I'd look at surging power and see if its applying. I'd check if fiery windows really does apply to bolt of change.
bugtracker and will look through
Hate doing math to make a case but someone pressed me to do it.

I think I figured it out in my head. This is at least how the damage looks and feels to me.

There's still a math problem from how I calculated it based on testing bears in Eataine, but it appears to work in the magus favor. Here's my bottom line - without the 40% damage boost from the pet the damage is very poor due to low base damage, time to cast, tick time of dots, travel time of spells, etc.. That seems different from live - maybe it was just the gear since most of the time I was in Warp, Tyrant, Darkpromise, etc. Magus is too pet dependent if you really want to be a KB masters single target. If you can stand next to a pet long enough yep its awesome. My strategy has changed a good amount from live. Flickering Red Fire was useless in live. More than ever magus needs to have the planets align in just the right way to really shine. I don't think I can post a bug for to low of base damage without a pet but that's the case. To excel as one of two dps in a group you can be married to your pet the whole time.

Next test will be rift damage which seems off - lash use to hit for over 1k or more on live seem low.
Lash damage is way lower than on live. On live i crit 1200-1500, in RoR it maxes around 800ish. I never, ever, felt the need to go ST. In rift spec, the real damage comes from your aoe dot with a tactic (crits around 900-1000ish) and you need top of the line gear/crit to get lots of dbs while rifting outside of farming pugs in warbands with double gaurd and heals.

Tankbeardz

Post#77 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:23 am

neutrino wrote:
peterthepan3 wrote:damage numbers aren't the problem, it's the application of said damage. a good magus can maintain the dmg buff for majority of time/whenever he does his rotation.
You're right - the application of said damage is just as important. That said the class in its current form has more overhead than the majority of the dps classes. At the very least its a pain in the ass for fast moving combat. You can swap in the tactic to spawn your pet faster but its just that - you need to use up a tactic just to spawn your pet faster. There's more maintenance overhead to manage combat and zero in on optimal dps. I think the magus can still have its versatility yet, not be so complicated to manage the mechanics.
Insta-Pet is a must-have on engi and magus imo.

Sulorie

Post#78 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:35 am

Tankbeardz wrote:
neutrino wrote:
Insta-Pet is a must-have on engi and magus imo.
So true.

Considering the damage, on live we had a whole lot of different gear to boost magic power and offensive stats in general, like lotd weapons.
Dying is no option.

Ads
dansari

Post#79 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:25 am

Then why not remove the tactic to insta spawn pet; make the pet/turrent an instant cast instead of 2s by default. That frees up a tactic slot by removing what seems to be a mandatory tactic on the bar.
<Salt Factory>

geezereur

Post#80 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:33 am

dansari wrote:Then why not remove the tactic to insta spawn pet; make the pet/turrent an instant cast instead of 2s by default. That frees up a tactic slot by removing what seems to be a mandatory tactic on the bar.
That would be great since we need so many tactics in the first place and that one is a must have for all eng+magus.