Recent Topics

Ads

[Magus] Why would anyone play Magus over Sorc?

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Penril

Re: [Magus] Why would anyone play Magus over Sorc?

Post#21 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:21 pm

No clue about Magus, but some Engies are pretty strong. I specially despise those with like 100000% disrupt.

Ads
peterthepan3

Post#22 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:26 pm

Penril wrote:No clue about Magus, but some Engies are pretty strong. I specially despise those with like 100000% disrupt.

All praise Thorbolt.

freshour
Banned

Post#23 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:06 pm

Penril wrote:No clue about Magus, but some Engies are pretty strong. I specially despise those with like 100000% disrupt.
I almost never play casters but the few SC's I did on my sorc and shaman as DPS, I encountered the 1000000000% disrupt... Holy mother of all was that frustrating lol. It was really cool to watch but boy did it make me thoroughly enjoy melee a heck of a lot more.

roadkillrobin

Post#24 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:01 pm

Suffers from being to dependant on being close to a pet thats stationary in a game thats very movement based.

peterthepan3

Post#25 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:13 pm

You got feedback from someone who used the class extensively in 6v6 scenarios, and from the highest RR magus on the server (Nuclear), both of whom say that the 5 sec boc allowed the class to perform in a competitive manner due to being able to bring out the hurt on a sustained basis. This isn't to boast or blow one's trumpet; rather, to show that the class has been tested extensively and that some areas have been tried and found wanting. If you feel that the class is fully functional as is, based on your own experimentation with the class in an equally competitive manner, then I digress and will not say anything else.

FRF is not your bread and butter: you use FRF when there is literally nothing else to do (BoC off CD, MBF off CD, SVF off CD, dots don't need to be reapplied). In my damage parses, it hardly gets a mention. You are not going to kill anything with FRF spam, and iirc Aza tried to make the crit damage apply to FRF yet, even with that damage boost, it didn't prove too effective in negating the ramifications of losing a 5 second nuke.

The tactic to make it hit another random person is useless: the game doesn't really incorporate 2-target cleave/focus (similar to a destro lock on live wow), and the random element makes it meh. Perhaps if this tactic made it so that you could, for 10 seconds or so, do all the damage dealt on one target to another that you choose, it would be viable? I'd love to see new mechanics like that brought in to alleviate the monotony.

What tactic are you giving up to have an undefendable rend winds (a weak ability as it is)? And who gets one-shot by a Bolt of Change, lol? Noone in a proper group, that's for sure. One can see from videos I have on twitch/YT that it isn't as easy as boc = kill :)

peterthepan3

Post#26 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Torquemadra wrote:
peterthepan3 wrote:You got feedback from someone who used the class extensively in 6v6 scenarios, and from the highest RR magus on the server (Nuclear), both of whom say that the 5 sec boc allowed the class to perform in a competitive manner due to being able to bring out the hurt on a sustained basis. If you feel that the class is fully functional as is, based on your own experimentation with the class in an equally competitive manner, then I digress and will not say anything else.

FRF is not your bread and butter, but what do I know? It's not like I mained the class on live. You use FRF when there is literally nothing else to do (BoC off CD, MBF off CD, SVF off CD, dots don't need to be reapplied). In my damage parses, it hardly gets a mention.
The tactic to make it hit another random person is useless: the game doesn't really incorporate 2-target cleave/focus (similar to a destro lock on live wow), and the random element makes it meh. Perhaps if this tactic made it so that you could, for 10 seconds or so, do all the damage dealt on one target to another that you choose?

What tactic are you giving up to have an undefendable rend winds (a weak ability as it is)?
5s boc broke the class and reduced it using virtually no abilities, again, not happening, am i being unclear here? and I used undefendable split FrF. I couldnt care less about what your cookie cutter is or how you synergize stuff together for 6v6, as I thought I had made clear previously I balance for overall that is everything, you dont get a 'competitive' 6v6 class that wrecks ORvR, your design for what you want in your personal little meta means little to me and I would suggest against trying to call me out and cast aspersions on my 'competitive' credentials.

I am happy that you enjoy your meta, I hope it can be expanded on sometime but make no mistakes, overall takes precedence.
In what respect did it break the class? Can you not see from the twitch video how many abilities I am utilising (stagger, dots, boc, svf, soi, ifoc, knockback, snare, mbf - aka using more than one ability)? Would appreciate answers to those as I can't recall anyone complaining about Magus and 5 second boc - not a single person.

I don't appreciate the hostility, to be completely honest. I'm giving you empirical arguments based on the experiences of several people, yet you seem happy to disregard it on a sentimental whim.

I'm yet to see a Magus reking orvr and 6v6 (?), but okay. I have a feeling that this stems from pug complaints about the class, and if that is the case then I have nothing more to say.

PS: it was my impression that balance revolved around 6man/group play (so not this notion of 'meta/competitive 6v6' - but group play), is this no longer the case? Are we now taking into account pug arguments, because I am very curious as to how a 5 sec BoC could so much as be hinted as 'overperforming' in any other environment.

peterthepan3

Post#27 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:49 pm

Cancer on keep walls against people that didn't have healers/tanks to guard them? Sure. So we are arguing from the PoV of people who either: a) aren't playing correctly and utilising los/detaunt; b) aren't playing in a group, because a good healer and tank can nullify the damage a Magus puts out. If this is the criteria by which a class can be changed then I am a bit hesitant about the future.

There's nothing condescending inherently about the word 'pug'; by 'pug' I mean anything that doesn't pertain to groupvsgroup/warbandvwarband play, as I think most people on these forums do.

The ironic thing is the class doesn't really need much else to perform as a RDPS other than a reliable nuke - as has been explained numerous times across numerous threads - so I won't waste my time thinking of something when the solution (in my opinion) is right there. Didn't Aza even say that the problem wasn't so much to do with the 5 seconds, but the range? Most Magi (myself included) are all for toning down the range of BoC (which can't be done as of yet, I know). So the 5 seconds really isn't the culprit here.

I'll conclude with the following: the class performs perfectly well in solo encounters, and in a warband it has a role. However, do you bring a Magus over a Sorc or a SH now as a ranged DPS if you want to compete against other groups of a similar level?

Cheers.

Penril

Post#28 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:56 pm

What's the problem with FRF?
peterthepan3 wrote:
I'll conclude with the following: the class performs perfectly well in solo encounters, and in a warband it has a role. However, do you bring a Magus over a Sorc or a SH now as a ranged DPS if you want to compete against other groups of a similar level?

Cheers.
I would bring a 100% disrupt engi if i am fighting sorcs/maguses. :P

Ads
Daknallbomb
Game Artist

Post#29 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:12 pm

Sry forgot it what does The topic creator ask for :)
Tinkabell 40/41 Magus Whaagit 40/41 SH Whaagot 40/54 BO Daknallfrosch 40/72shammy

Dalgrimar

Post#30 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:24 pm

Spoiler:
@Torq , no offense ment but if you dont like something you just come with "Not a valid argument" When both Peter and Svarz mentioned Magus is underperforming wich is a known fact. Peter and Svarz both being 2 of the best if not the best Maguses on the server saying the classs is clearly underperforming compared to the rest of dps incl Engineer, should alone be a valid argument that something is wrong with the class.

You "cant" just keep telling people there point made is not valid when you as a [if i have and hopefully can be honest] not very expererienced player, dont agree with it.
Take a week off the forums, you dont get to bait staff nor make false assertions of their experience and I had a rr90+ magus on live with all the dungeon armours and i have a rr50ish one here - Torque
Dalgri - Ftp/Sens - Sadboi - Fanboy

utube
twitch