Recent Topics

Ads

[Magus] What/where/how

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
shaggyboomboom

Re: [Magus] What/where/how

Post#51 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:56 am

Zod24 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:21 pm why are people listening to a guy who genuinely thinks a 'ranged dps DOK' can work in warbands?
Yikes

Ads
Zxul

Post#52 » Sat May 18, 2019 10:43 am

Zod24 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:21 pm why are people listening to a guy who genuinely thinks a 'ranged dps DOK' can work in warbands?
Ahh well. Amuse me, explain how do you think that built actually works, and why do you believe it will not work in warbands.

Go on, prove that you can after all use logic and math, I'm waiting.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Nidwin

Post#53 » Mon May 20, 2019 6:52 am

The issue is that you are stuck with 18% parry with only an extra 2% from the Gunbad Ruby that has STR on it. No access to parry gear as far as I can remember.
Nidwinqq used teabag Magus [Hysteria]

Crumbs

Post#54 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:20 am

can't cure all brain illnesses
Mekanik/Cqb [engi] 40/86
Zuu [AM] 40/83
[magus] 40/70

Nidwin

Post#55 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:41 am

Zxul wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:43 am
Ahh well. Amuse me, explain how do you think that built actually works, and why do you believe it will not work in warbands.

Go on, prove that you can after all use logic and math, I'm waiting.
Do you have points in Quick Escape?
The combo Maw and Quick Escape can give you a nice edge in melee and mid range.

Doom123

Post#56 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:51 pm

Well this turned... interesting. I have currently tried INT/Magic Crit with a sprinkling of toughness, though I must admit I am basically feeling like a free kill against literally every class.

Will tinker with the suggestions everyone posted in the thread though, thanks!

Karast

Post#57 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:14 am

Doom123 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:51 pm Well this turned... interesting. I have currently tried INT/Magic Crit with a sprinkling of toughness, though I must admit I am basically feeling like a free kill against literally every class.

One thing to keep in mind is that you make for a big target. A lot of the time survivability is more about positioning / observation as a magus than anything else.

If you go ST for BoC try to find positions that have a slope or ledge to help you punt melee away to give you more time to dot / run when you need to, and it is good to have something to LoS behind when fighting a ranged dps, until you have focused mind up for a fast BoC rotation. Nurglings can help a lot to give you an extra second or 2 on a sneaky WH.

The best advice is usually to find a friend. Where 1 magus is a free kill, 2 is a deadly duo. There isn't much in the game that can survive a well coordinated double BoC.

Keep in mind that gear also plays an important part. There is a big difference between a fresh 40 in anni / bl and a gear 40 running vanq / invader / mixed sets.

geezereur

Post#58 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:18 am

I just go full offensive unless im solo roaming the lakes then I go for Futile Strikes + Toughness and Wounds.

Ads
Nidwin

Post#59 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:29 am

Doom123 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:51 pm Well this turned... interesting. I have currently tried INT/Magic Crit with a sprinkling of toughness, though I must admit I am basically feeling like a free kill against literally every class.

Very interesting, indeed.

Annihilator is a def set and depending on your talis and pots situation not the most optimal you can get at your level.

A good alternative that in some situations is even better than conq is the PVE purple level 38 drops (boots, gloves, body, mask) and level 39 shoulder. There's also a belt and cloak, purple PVE drops(cloak is wounds + INT and belt is INT but can't remember if it's level 37,38 or 39). Money is normally fine at the auction house for that stuff count around 200-250 gold (bit of farming but Magus is a good gold farmer)
This purple set is strong in armor (conq like) wounds, INT and resists. Although no talis slots.

Ekundu01

Post#60 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:11 pm

How you spec and gear should be based around what you plan to play. Gearing/talismans and spec will give different results when playing with a group or solo or warband play. SCs and ORVR are very different animals especially if you are doing the pug life. Unfortunately our height and disk is a giant flag that screams i am over here so blending in with the crowd is not as easy. WL's love to jump on us.

I have found that at low RR (and i am still low at 46) you can play the spec you like but you need to stick to the strength of the build with what gear you have access to. If you want to play a long range BoC monster you can do very well in ORVR on keep offense and defense in a warband. The reason i say this is because usually you don't have the stats to support both a solid offensive and survivability so you go offensive and use the support of the warband to give you survivability. There are other options with different tactics to play havoc well in solo and in SC life but i really think you need the RR and the gear to support that style of play or else you will be looking at the respawn screen a lot.

IMO If you want to play Pug SCs or solo roam at low RR you need to get semi decent defense to survive. If you are too squishy you won't survive the knock down that is ultimately coming from the dime a dozen WLs. I have noticed a decent bump in surviving the pounce/knockdown, from just bumping up my Toughness and having ageis orange fire to pop after i can stand back up. Currently i am at almost 600 toughness and with my pet out with the tactic from demo i am over 700. If you happen to get a nice tank to guard you it can make you really tanky. Offset is your dps is not as high as it could be but the alternative is dieing before you get a spell off.

Another part of how effective you are is how well you use your pets and abilities but that is something you have to figure out from playing the class and what works and what doesn't.

If you have a group of friends to play with then you can usually spec and gear how you want and you can ignore my perspective from playing the class and a solo/pug player.
Trismack