Recent Topics

Ads

Can you parry with sword and shield?

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Vraekon

Can you parry with sword and shield?

Post#1 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:30 am

Hello, i am fairly new and playing a Chosen but about to switch to sword and shield. I didnt know if i can parry with sword and shield? And if i can, should i focus more on parry or block leveling up the renown skill tree? Thanks

Ads
Garner

Re: Can you parry with sword and shield?

Post#2 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:49 am

You can still parry, but blocks defend against all types of attacks. Parry only defends against melee. As of right now block should be your focus, but later you will also max out your parry.

Vraekon

Post#3 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:28 am

Garner wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:49 am You can still parry, but blocks defend against all types of attacks. Parry only defends against melee. As of right now block should be your focus, but later you will also max out your parry.
Thanks for quick reply. Having a blast playing, i played at the original launch and glad to be back

Ototo

Post#4 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:49 am

Vraekon wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:30 am Hello, i am fairly new and playing a Chosen but about to switch to sword and shield. I didnt know if i can parry with sword and shield? And if i can, should i focus more on parry or block leveling up the renown skill tree? Thanks
Well, the previous answer is not accurate. You also parry your guarded attack, but can't be increased with more parry, you have a flat 25% to parry your guard. Your focus as tank should be Futile Strikes, initiative, and reduction to be crit.
Spoiler:

Vraekon

Post#5 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:28 am

Ototo wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:49 am
Vraekon wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:30 am Hello, i am fairly new and playing a Chosen but about to switch to sword and shield. I didnt know if i can parry with sword and shield? And if i can, should i focus more on parry or block leveling up the renown skill tree? Thanks
Well, the previous answer is not accurate. You also parry your guarded attack, but can't be increased with more parry, you have a flat 25% to parry your guard. Your focus as tank should be Futile Strikes, initiative, and reduction to be crit.
Thank you for clarification

Ysaran

Post#6 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:01 am

that's inaccurate. u can block AND parry guard damage and on parry u have a flat +25% against guard damage due to guard mechanics and parry formula. the avoidence work like: u receive an attack from the front (u cant parry/block attack from behinde), the game decide if u blocked the attack, if u block u receive zero damage, if u dont block the game decide if u parry/dodge/disrupt the attack. so if for example u have 20% block and 50% parry and u receive 100 melee attack then u will block 20 of these, of the remaining 80 the half will be parried and thus your melee avoidence is 60% since u will receive only 40 attack of original 100.
Zputadenti

iagdtod

Post#7 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:18 am

Related to this is that Chosen can get high parry using skill Suppression and when you get the levels using the tactic Mixed Defences (middle tree). In terms of gear, you then generally aim for block as much as possible as the parry you will get anyway from renown points and from gear is enough with those two skills added in.
Deleuze Chosen

Ototo

Post#8 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:11 am

Ysaran wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:01 am
that's inaccurate. u can block AND parry guard damage and on parry u have a flat +25% against guard damage due to guard mechanics and parry formula. the avoidence work like: u receive an attack from the front (u cant parry/block attack from behinde), the game decide if u blocked the attack, if u block u receive zero damage, if u dont block the game decide if u parry/dodge/disrupt the attack. so if for example u have 20% block and 50% parry and u receive 100 melee attack then u will block 20 of these, of the remaining 80 the half will be parried and thus your melee avoidence is 60% since u will receive only 40 attack of original 100.
Which is unrelated to my post cause was in the original post I refer to. I just pointed out that the statement that you only parry mele attacks is not true: you parry mele attacks, guard attacks, and some specific skills tagged for it like Terrible Embrace that are exceptions. It's not even assured that you can parry a mele attack as some of the mele skills of ranged classes are tagged to dodge it.
Spoiler:

Ads
blechkautz

Post#9 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:16 am

Ototo wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:11 am

Which is unrelated to my post cause was in the original post I refer to. I just pointed out that the statement that you only parry mele attacks is not true: you parry mele attacks, guard attacks, and some specific skills tagged for it like Terrible Embrace that are exceptions. It's not even assured that you can parry a mele attack as some of the mele skills of ranged classes are tagged to dodge it.
The marked part above is the wrong part as Ysaran pointed out, so it's not unrelated to your post, where you hand out false information.

Ototo

Post#10 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:18 am

blechkautz wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:16 am
Ototo wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:11 am
The marked part above is the wrong part as Ysaran pointed out, so it's not unrelated to your post, where you hand out false information.
Nope. You have a flat 25% parry to your guard, which is exactly what I said. The rest is in the post that I refer to, as I said.
Spoiler: