Recent Topics

Ads

[Ironbreaker] New guy leveling IB looking for a few tips.

Ironbreaker, Engineer, Slayer, Runepriest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
miklftw92

[Ironbreaker] New guy leveling IB looking for a few tips.

Post#1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:04 am

Hi guys.

I played WAR a tiny bit on live, but never really got into it back then (too young, maybe?) but have decided to return after noticing RoR. Having a blast so far, but the world is so vast and I have kind of little to no clue as to what I'm doing. Therefore, I thought I'd head to the forums and ask a few questions that I've been having. If there already is a thread like this, my apologies - I haven't found one atleast answering the questions I have.

So, here goes.

1. Should I level with a 2h or with 1h and shield. I mostly do quests and PQs, but every once in a while I join an open warband. For this I get renown and not as much exp as with questing. So I guess questing is better for leveling? What do you guys recommend?

2. I have a renown rank of 9. What can I do with this rank? If there is stuff I can buy for renown, where are the vendors for these items? Perhaps I might be able to attain some weapons or gear for less money than what I find on the auction house.

3. Spec. I have put one point into path of stone, but can easily respecialize if other paths are superior for a new player leveling up for the first time.

Thanks in advance.
Mikzy

Ads
BrockRiefenstahl

Re: [Ironbreaker] New guy leveling IB looking for a few tips.

Post#2 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:32 am

1) You can level with both weapontypes just fine.

2) With renown levels, you can skill renown abilities/upgrades. You can powerlevel your way to lvl 40, but if you do so, you have a hard time grinding renown and medals/emblems for your equipment later on.
So my advice is to level with RvR/Scenarios, that way you are lvl 35+ with renown when you hit lvl 40 and can equip some good gear.
Otherwise you can do the Epicquestlines (ask for advice ingame there or watch youtube videos) and you farm the Ruin set (if I remember the name correctly). This is possible without levelled renown, and you have a good set of gear to farm the better items.

3) I levelled with 2 Hander, thats fine for PvE. Unless you want mass AoE farming, than maybe shield is the way to go.

miklftw92

Post#3 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:26 am

BrockRiefenstahl wrote:1) You can level with both weapontypes just fine.

2) With renown levels, you can skill renown abilities/upgrades. You can powerlevel your way to lvl 40, but if you do so, you have a hard time grinding renown and medals/emblems for your equipment later on.
So my advice is to level with RvR/Scenarios, that way you are lvl 35+ with renown when you hit lvl 40 and can equip some good gear.
Otherwise you can do the Epicquestlines (ask for advice ingame there or watch youtube videos) and you farm the Ruin set (if I remember the name correctly). This is possible without levelled renown, and you have a good set of gear to farm the better items.

3) I levelled with 2 Hander, thats fine for PvE. Unless you want mass AoE farming, than maybe shield is the way to go.
Thanks for your reply! Definitely will use some of this advice.

When it comes to spec for leveling - what do you recommend?

And where are these renown vendors I can buy gear from? :)

Glorian

Post#4 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:37 am

Renown vendors are in Altdorf war quarter. South in the city.

There are some where you can buy items with gold and need a renown rank.

Apart from that, at each chapter in the game are new merchants where you can buy green gear for that lvl. They tend to get pricey though in higher chapters. But they can be used without renown requirements.

ragafury

Post#5 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:45 am

I would go snb, level with pug warbands or perhaps you have guild which picks you up and carries you a bit around.
All that renown is pretty vital for tanks later on.
I would go middle tree first for the 25% parry buff and the 10% block tactic.
I would invest renown in defender 3, deft defender 3. If you can specc deeper in those do it, once you hit 40 you can adapt to defender 4, deft defender 3, fs, impetus, vigor, resolute defense 1,2,3 etc.

Slot raze (morale 2) at level 20.

Not even that you get that way exp / renown, you get a feel for the game, and your realm is lacking tanks (from what I've heard).

Edit: Perhaps you do short pve grinds if you have a good set you can wear like devastator or once you can wear ruin / winds ring set.
--- inactive ---
---guildless---

miklftw92

Post#6 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:53 am

Thanks again, guys. Will have a look in the city, and go with SnB, which I assume means Shield and something..? ;)

Glorian

Post#7 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:00 am

SnB is old mmo slang for Sword n' Board. ;)

ragafury

Post#8 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:03 am

Sword and board, yeah a 1hander + shield specc.

I can only commend ramp up RR.
Especially on IB some other specs get avaible later if you plan to main him.
The power level of RR on tanks is beyond good and evil.
--- inactive ---
---guildless---

Ads
kmark101

Post#9 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:10 pm

Level with 1h+shield, that way you can tank PQ's with kiting, which means you can do hardest PQ's with only 1 dps buddy as you kite the hero boss around.

Also, at higher lvl with shield you can withstand many hits from mobs and do aoe grinding, which is the best possible xp to level your normal levels.

In pvp (scenarios, which you should do because they are great xp + renown at the same time!), ppl will love you if you have shield (and guard the melee dps players well). 2h is useless compared to shield in pvp until you have better gear imho. With this you will make friends and can join guilds. Don't focus too much on dps'ing, your priority is to protect, snare, buff your oathfriend, debuff enemies, knock away dangerous players etc..

Besides renown gear you can buy renown skills at renown trainers (altdorf has a couple). Get the avoidance ones first: dodge, parry and block ones, they have the highest value by far.

IB is fun and pretty rewarding, good luck :) oh and join to a proper dwarf warband for extra chance to grumble!
Gryyw - Ironbreaker

peterthepan3

Post#10 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:56 pm

Don't go 2h until you get beastlord/anni and the avoidance 2h.

Volgograd has done an extensive amount of work into guides for 2h. He's a very very good IB and if you want 2h tips, check him out on YouTube.