Recent Topics

Ads

Can't Decide on a Dwarf

Ironbreaker, Engineer, Slayer, Runepriest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Breidr

Can't Decide on a Dwarf

Post#1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:54 am

Out of the races in this game, I wanted to play a Dwarf the most. The way the career system is designed, however, means I'm stuck with things in a way. If I could just slap a Dwarf skin on the KotBS I wouldn't be here.

I'm currently fumbling around T1 scenarios with every dwarf class and I can't seem to get one to stick.

Slayer seems the most straightforward, but the class mechanic is pretty brutal, especially since I solo quite a lot.
Iron Breaker seems like it going to be too much for me to keep up with. I'm just not ready for that level of keybinds and management.

Rune Priest is the class I'm currently focusing on. I don't know how well I could play a healer and keep up with the rune management, but it definitely easier on me than melee, but I feel there's a lot resting on my shoulders with this class, and I kind of have performance anxiety.

Engineer was the first class I tried, but after seeing the sheer number of them I kind of shied away from the class. Dropping a turret and shooting was easy enough, but I'm not sure how effective I was being. The difference between the ranged/melee abilities was a little awkward, but I guess I could get used to that. I doubt an engineer melees too much, so it's really a matter of getting my bars in order.

Any advice for an aspiring dwarf? I'd like to think that one day I might be able to count myself among the ranks of the Bitterstone Thunderers, but given that I am US and work days it might be hard to make their events.

That still won't make me give up on my dream of playing a Dwarf.

Ads
Glorian

Re: Can't Decide on a Dwarf

Post#2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:00 am

For the Dwarf Engineer you might want to check out the Bitterstone Engineer Handbook here:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=22035

As for the classes.
You need to find the class that makes playing fun. Not Dwarf Fortress "Fun" but real fun. ;)

Engi Tinkerer with armor build is pretty melee range all the time with no need to retreat.
Runi is a healer and if everything goes awful they will begin to swear on you. But that is the way. Don't try to be the best dwarf, just try to be a good dwarf. Every SC, or wb likes Healers and Runis are one of the best for that.

Slayer isn't a solo class. If you have an IB buddy you can pretty much destroy anything. But Solo you will suffer A LOT.

IB is actually fun, but you arent killing stuff on your own. Or you can do if you are Volgograd, but most of the time you are the shadow of a Slayer or White Lion. With your buffs and Guard he can pretty much kill everything. With the Willpower buff and Rune of Avalanche you can pretty much chase everyone through the thickest fights.

Fallenkezef

Post#3 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:04 am

I am biased but I always reccomend slayers.

Maybe not the best or easiest but certainly the most fun.

There are some interesting close range, tank specs for engineers so it's not all sniping.
Alea iacta est

Kragg

Post#4 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:29 am

Breidr wrote:

Any advice for an aspiring dwarf? I'd like to think that one day I might be able to count myself among the ranks of the Bitterstone Thunderers, but given that I am US and work days it might be hard to make their events.
This comment brings tears to me eyes! Thank you for your kind words!

I'll hold you a spot whatever you decide! Look for Drengk, Rorgi or Bor! For that 'BT feeling' an fully uniformed thunderer is quite charming. Plus I am looking for able dwarfs to playn in my sniper squad! Imagine three thunderers hitting a target at the same time with their rifles... BAM! BAM! BAM! Dead.
Sergeant-Major Drengk Burloksson, RR 85 Sniper
Hulfdan Irongrip, RR 81 Ironbreaker
Proud Founder of the 3rd Bitterstone Thunderers
Alliance officer of the Grand Alliance

Breidr

Post#5 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:48 am

Glorian wrote:For the Dwarf Engineer you might want to check out the Bitterstone Engineer Handbook here:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=22035

As for the classes.
You need to find the class that makes playing fun. Not Dwarf Fortress "Fun" but real fun. ;)

Engi Tinkerer with armor build is pretty melee range all the time with no need to retreat.
Runi is a healer and if everything goes awful they will begin to swear on you. But that is the way. Don't try to be the best dwarf, just try to be a good dwarf. Every SC, or wb likes Healers and Runis are one of the best for that.

Slayer isn't a solo class. If you have an IB buddy you can pretty much destroy anything. But Solo you will suffer A LOT.

IB is actually fun, but you arent killing stuff on your own. Or you can do if you are Volgograd, but most of the time you are the shadow of a Slayer or White Lion. With your buffs and Guard he can pretty much kill everything. With the Willpower buff and Rune of Avalanche you can pretty much chase everyone through the thickest fights.
Right now it seems I'm torn between an Engineer and a Rune Priest. The other two classes have a curve I'm not sure I could take on. At best I could see myself playing an Iron Breaker suboptimally and the Slayer seems to need a lot of support. I think I'll play the two classes that [have the option to] hang back.

I'm leaning towards the engineer right now on the sheer basis of that performance anxiety I talked about earlier. I feel like I'd be less depended on in this role. I don't know if it means there will be less bindings/ability juggling, but at least if I screw up I, in theory, only hurt myself.

Tamarlan

Post#6 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:31 pm

You do not need to decide. Level all like I did. I clearly enjoy my RP most in RvR and scenarios but from time to time I need to kill things hence log on my slayer. For farming stuff in PvE I prefer my Engineer and my IB is used to show everyone in Altdorf how awsome a Dwarf looks in armor.

One thing is certain ... you will enjoy your dwarf even more in the ranks of the Bitterstones.
Halvar RP
Halver SL
Halversen IB
Halva ENG

Fallenkezef

Post#7 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Tamarlan wrote:You do not need to decide. Level all like I did. I clearly enjoy my RP most in RvR and scenarios but from time to time I need to kill things hence log on my slayer. For farming stuff in PvE I prefer my Engineer and my IB is used to show everyone in Altdorf how awsome a Dwarf looks in armor.

One thing is certain ... you will enjoy your dwarf even more in the ranks of the Bitterstones.
You aint the only Dawi around, Oathkeepers are an awesome Dwarf guild aswell!

Now I have my Slayer at 40/40 I am thinking of giving my IB another shot. I think leveling them all is a good idea, if nothing else to learn how the other classes work and how to best use your main with them.
Alea iacta est

Axerker

Post#8 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Based on personal opinions/speculation:

Slayer - Heavy damage, works best with a Guard + Healer due to high incoming damage when Berserk. Can either go always-berserk mode for more direct in/out increased damage, or fluctuate in Furious as best as possible for higher burst and more survival.

Runepriest - Not too familiar, but they're hella annoying to kill. Great healers for both small and large scale PvP.

Engineer - Personally this class is probably the easiest for solo/new players. Its basically AFK friendly. Only thing you need to be aware of is knowing when not to use land mines as it can play against you.

Ironbreaker - A good tank, but works best with a nearby ally (primarily someone you are friends/communicating with), due to their buddy-system mechanic.

Overall, if you play solo (and have performance anxiety from having a lot of reliance on you as a healer), your best bet in Engineer to start. Play them while you learn the game, then you'll realize all of the dwarves are viable and good classes in their own roles. Engineer is just pretty much face-roll, so a good entry-level class. Set up turrets and go take a shower.

Ads
dansari

Post#9 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:24 pm

Agreed with the above. I think, as a new player, engi will be just fine. Start a Butchering career and if you don't want to sell armor pots, you can at least sell the scales for cash flow.

That being said, I don't like playing my engi in RVR -- the NA scene just doesn't have as much warband v warband fighting where you're entrenched on two sides (where engi really shines) and most of the time you're just a magnet bot. Personal opinion, I just feel more useful on any of my other dps classes because of the mobile state of RVR these days. My engi is a farm bot right now.

I like my Runepriest a lot for the reasons you describe: very linear play style with strong healing and utility. Pair it with a WP or AM to supplement their healing with Ancestor's Echo and Blessing of Grungni, and at 40/40 grab this spec with full Anni. You'll be golden: Runepriest 40/40 with Anni

Slayer/IB is a terrifying combo. Slayer is tough to solo, but supplemented with even one competent tank and healer can make you feel invincible. I've thought about leveling a Slayer because of the immense pushing power they have, but the necessity of having guard is real.

Finally, IB is a very hard class to master. It's likely got the highest skill ceiling out of classes in the game. That being said, IB is an incredible power in the right hands. Plus, it supplements Slayer a ton.

I think you're on track. Level your engi, get some cash flow going (I would do Butchering + Apothecary). Butchering guide here: Wiki - Butchering (work in progress) then when you have more game knowledge, see if you want to go Runie, Slayer, or take the leap into the world of IB.
<Salt Factory>

Breidr

Post#10 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:56 am

Thank you for all the wonderful posts, really, I mean that!

After mulling it over a bit I decided to level two dwarfs, of the careers I feel the most confident in. I chose the two ranged careers as melee, especially solo, seems more unforgiving. As much as I desire to be a longbeard, I don't think I'm up to the task of managing the bindings required. As far as a Slayer is concerned, I feel the mechanic is not a good fit for me, and a dead slayer does 0 DPS.

With the Runepriest and Engineer I can keep my distance in battle and lengthen the time I have to react in some cases. I don't know how good of a healer I will make as I've never played one before, but I'll give it a damn good go.

I'm also looking forward to actually making a thunderer. I think emulating a tabletop unit in this game would be pretty cool to say the least. It also appeals to the Civil War reenactor in me a bit. I mean, how many MMOs have muskets? Okay, actually quite a few, nevermind.

I'll be on the lookout for all of you when I play. Even If I do decide to Join one guild, or maybe more, I look forward to teaming with fellow Dawi to bring down the forces of destruction!