WarEmu Translation Project

Deutsch, Ελληνικά, Español, Français, Italiano, Polski and Pусский subforums.

Moderators: Developer, Management, Web Developer

Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
User avatar
MaxHayman
Management
Posts: 592
Contact:

WarEmu Translation Project

Post#1 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:26 pm

Hi Everyone,

So over the last few weeks I have been working on the ability to deliver localised content for Quests, Items, NPCs and other gameplay elements. However the original servers stopped producing localised content towards the end and we don't have any to work from.

Therefore translations will have to be done manually on the data. I have had a couple of people help produce translations for some of the starter Quests and Items within the game.

We are using a service called Crowdin which specialises in the crowd sourcing of translations. This data will be exported and put into the game.

So if anyone would like to help out with translations please feel free to click the link below.

https://crwd.in/waremu

Image

The current languages we are looking to use are:
French
German
Italian
Russian
Spanish

If anyone would like to start helping out with another language please comment below. (however there are limitations out of my control)
Max Hayman

Ads
User avatar
Darosh
Banned
Posts: 1198

Re: WarEmu Translation Project

Post#2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:23 am

'ello there,
got started on the german translation and left some suggestions.

Now, I have a tiny issue, and that is the lack of context. It would be really, really helpful for alot of the tidbits. Translation can heavily change based on the very setting of a quest and such, especially if translating from a rather 'emotive' language like english into a rather clunky language like german.

Abbd.:
Chapter, Questgiver or the command lines required to display the questtext ingame.

Are you planning to flesh out the project, or will context as such only be available on request? The latter might make for a bigger workload, longterm.
Also, it seems as if there are quite alot of quest texts and such missing ~ I guess you are still building the project in that regard?
Last edited by Darosh on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Congratulations.

User avatar
ragafury
Community Manager
Posts: 588

Re: WarEmu Translation Project

Post#3 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:30 am

@Darosh

I helped a tiny bit already, but than other stuff / projects came inbetween.
I know exactly what you mean by that.

I made my own decision basically and tried to do a "mix".
like keep the story arch etc intact but some lines are just typical dwarven or typical empire stuff.
So I decided to handle them as those and put them in a PnP styilish context how characters would talk there.

very hard topic indeed to translate the lore and tongue heavy stuff to german so it doesn't sound childish / dull / 1:1 translated.
would be nice if there was an official statement on "how to handle".
This colour is always used for moderation and opinion of the team.
Everything else is my personal view.

TUP <3

RIP my legacy RR80 title ;_;

User avatar
Darosh
Banned
Posts: 1198

Re: WarEmu Translation Project

Post#4 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:36 am

ragafury wrote:
Spoiler:
@Darosh

I helped a tiny bit already, but than other stuff / projects came inbetween.
I know exactly what you mean by that.

I made my own decision basically and tried to do a "mix".
like keep the story arch etc intact but some lines are just typical dwarven or typical empire stuff.
So I decided to handle them as those and put them in a PnP styilish context how characters would talk there.

very hard topic indeed to translate the lore and tongue heavy stuff to german so it doesn't sound childish / dull / 1:1 translated.
would be nice if there was an official statement on "how to handle".
Yeah, I am having a really hard time deciding on whether NPCs should address players formally or informal. .-.
Congratulations.

User avatar
Nefarian78
Posts: 212

Re: WarEmu Translation Project

Post#5 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:03 am

I can help with the italian translation.

Sadly, due to the differences between english and italian, there are many things that can't be translated at all or do not make much sense.

Many words (especially creature, region names and materials) have to be localized to make sense in italian.

For now, im going to skip the ones that can't be translate at all (Salzenmund Greatsword for example)

User avatar
Darosh
Banned
Posts: 1198

Re: WarEmu Translation Project

Post#6 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:53 am

Btw, there are alot of creature names that have to be extracted from GW canon - same goes for NPC names featured in the quest descriptions, I doubt that they could be covered by a community-driven localization effort without running into lore-related issues.
Congratulations.

User avatar
Nefarian78
Posts: 212

Re: WarEmu Translation Project

Post#7 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:00 am

Darosh wrote:Btw, there are alot of creature names that have to be extracted from GW canon - same goes for NPC names featured in the quest descriptions, I doubt that they could be covered by a community-driven localization effort without running into lore-related issues.
True, sadly Warhammer has close to 0 italian translation/localization overall, and the few that exist are difficult to find. For now i'm waiting to translate/localize the more important stuff.

Btw, World of Warcraft is a good basis to translate some of the more common fantasy animals, since it's localized in basically every spoken lenguage.

User avatar
Darosh
Banned
Posts: 1198

Re: WarEmu Translation Project

Post#8 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:19 am

Nefarian78 wrote:
Darosh wrote:Btw, there are alot of creature names that have to be extracted from GW canon - same goes for NPC names featured in the quest descriptions, I doubt that they could be covered by a community-driven localization effort without running into lore-related issues.
True, sadly Warhammer has close to 0 italian translation/localization overall, and the few that exist are difficult to find. For now i'm waiting to translate/localize the more important stuff.

Btw, World of Warcraft is a good basis to translate some of the more common fantasy animals, since it's localized in basically every spoken lenguage.
True that, however WoW and Warhammer have very little overlapping contents. Besides the very wildlife, everything edging remotely towards the lore leaves you with generic localizations. The beastmen are the best example of that, while WoW features Gors of some kind, Warhammer features about a million diffrent Gors with a million diffrent pre-and suffixes. :(

It took me about 20min to come up with a reasonable translation for "Changer of Ways" that doesn't sound like utter rubbish ~ I couldn't find the german name for it either on the various warhammer related wikis and such... I noticed a pattern on these sites: They all dodge proper nouns, as if their life depended on it, lol.

Note: I finally found one, it matched my translation... "Wandler der Wege". Still, its a pretty ugly situation.
Congratulations.

Ads
User avatar
Nefarian78
Posts: 212

Re: WarEmu Translation Project

Post#9 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:36 am

Darosh wrote:
Nefarian78 wrote:
Darosh wrote:Btw, there are alot of creature names that have to be extracted from GW canon - same goes for NPC names featured in the quest descriptions, I doubt that they could be covered by a community-driven localization effort without running into lore-related issues.
True, sadly Warhammer has close to 0 italian translation/localization overall, and the few that exist are difficult to find. For now i'm waiting to translate/localize the more important stuff.

Btw, World of Warcraft is a good basis to translate some of the more common fantasy animals, since it's localized in basically every spoken lenguage.
True that, however WoW and Warhammer have very little overlapping contents. Besides the very wildlife, everything edging remotely towards the lore leaves you with generic localizations. The beastmen are the best example of that, while WoW features Gors of some kind, Warhammer features about a million diffrent Gors with a million diffrent pre-and suffixes. :(

It took me about 20min to come up with a reasonable translation for "Changer of Ways" that doesn't sound like utter rubbish ~ I couldn't find the german name for it either on the various warhammer related wikis and such... I noticed a pattern on these sites: They all dodge proper nouns, as if their life depended on it, lol.

Note: I finally found one, it matched my translation... "Wandler der Wege". Still, its a pretty ugly situation.
Exactly, The Beastmen i completely skipped for now. Not a single one of them makes any sense whatsoever if i translate it. I'll have to come up with some names that respect the language, the creature, the lore, and that isn't an abomination to pronounce and hear!

Most of the names in Warhammer can't even be used with a latin suffix like "Ari" to specify their place/faction of provenence. That would make it 10 times easier, but noooo. lol

Edit: I didn't even think about it, and just right now i came across a "Choppa" a "Twanga" and a "Shoota" How do i translate those monsters into italian? *cries*

Sulorie
Posts: 2869

Re: WarEmu Translation Project

Post#10 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:29 am

Nefarian78 wrote: Edit: I didn't even think about it, and just right now i came across a "Choppa" a "Twanga" and a "Shoota" How do i translate those monsters into italian? *cries*
I would say that not all names have to be translated at all cost. :)
Dying is no option.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest