Recent Topics

Ads

[IDEA] Is there a way to incorporate "PVP Seasons" into RoR?

Let's talk about... everything else
th3gatekeeper

[IDEA] Is there a way to incorporate "PVP Seasons" into RoR?

Post#1 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:49 pm

What are my motivations to writing this:
Spoiler:
Been taking a small break from RoR lately and having fun with a few games such as Halo/Overwatch/POE to kill time. Ive been keeping an eye on RoR and intend to come back in the near future. I have been asking myself "why dont I come back now" and ONE of the few answers on my short list has been motivation.

So I ask why am I not motivated. I think it comes down to the feeling that once you get your gear/SC weapon etc you dont feel there is much in the way of character progression anymore. Not much left to "work towards". Dont get me wrong I LOVE RoR and I have utmost faith in the DEV team, and fully intend to come back to the game, I guess I just need something to pull me back in hehe :)
So all that, brought me to this question. "Other games employ 'seasons' would this work in RoR?" I am sure there are MANY ways to do this. But rather than have me start suggesting things that may or may not be possible, why not just see what everyone else has to say (and maybe even some DEV incite into this too!).

Do you guys think it would be a good idea or bad idea incorporating some time of "season" into the game, that would entail "leader boards" with "seasonal rewards" that get reset every "X months" like they do in other competitive PVP games.
Sulfuras - Knight
Viskag - Chosen
Ashkandi - Swordmaster
Syzzle - Bright Wizard
Curz - Marauder
Andrithil - Blackguard

Ads
th3gatekeeper

Re: [IDEA] Is there a way to incorporate "PVP Seasons" into

Post#2 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:44 pm

Wow. I thought there were be more activity on this... Ok I WILL go ahead and propose a few ideas.

1) A 1-2 month long "keep take" season. leaderboards in each tier. Or maybe just T4? Each keep take awards a point. After two months, the top X players (50?) keep some special cosmetic reward or item or something...
2) A 1-2 month long SC win "season". Same idea. Top X get rewards.

I guess the only "negative" to this is it will propell many groups to want to do more organized premade SC groups that will inevitably stomp PUG groups. Might not be a BAD thing though... It also wont give much incentive to players who are more casual who wouldnt be able to compete with the die-hard players.

Could even roll these out TOGETHER giving incentive for both SC and RVR at the same time. Some players will choose to do RVR, others will do SC. I think Cosmetic rewards would be the best way to go. I dont know the DEV ability to create cosmetic items, but some awesome transmutes of gear would get MANY players wanting to play more...

I cna tell you 1 think forsure, you would see A LOT more organized play if this happened.
Sulfuras - Knight
Viskag - Chosen
Ashkandi - Swordmaster
Syzzle - Bright Wizard
Curz - Marauder
Andrithil - Blackguard

Theseus

Post#3 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:48 pm

th3gatekeeper wrote:Wow. I thought there were be more activity on this... Ok I WILL go ahead and propose a few ideas.

1) A 1-2 month long "keep take" season. leaderboards in each tier. Or maybe just T4? Each keep take awards a point. After two months, the top X players (50?) keep some special cosmetic reward or item or something...

I guess the only "negative" to this is it will propell many groups to want to do more organized premade SC groups that will inevitably stomp PUG groups. Might not be a BAD thing though... It also wont give much incentive to players who are more casual who wouldnt be able to compete with the die-hard players.

Could even roll these out TOGETHER giving incentive for both SC and RVR at the same time. Some players will choose to do RVR, others will do SC. I think Cosmetic rewards would be the best way to go. I dont know the DEV ability to create cosmetic items, but some awesome transmutes of gear would get MANY players wanting to play more...

I cna tell you 1 think forsure, you would see A LOT more organized play if this happened.
Nice Idea, but what for? I cant see the sense in it, such scoreboards would be nothing else than ego boosting. And if we all (myself included) do have enough of, its ego. So the need eludes me.
Andyrion Ulthenair
Arphyrion Soulblade

th3gatekeeper

Post#4 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:05 pm

Theseus wrote: Nice Idea, but what for? I cant see the sense in it, such scoreboards would be nothing else than ego boosting. And if we all (myself included) do have enough of, its ego. So the need eludes me.
Competitive nature? Something to work towards? Why do other extremely popular games do "PVP Seasons" ? People want to have short term "goals" that reset every once in a while so a player can commit to shorter term grinds for fun?

I think of (again) a game like path of exile. Fun game, but PVE almost exclusively. They host seasons or "leagues" that last 2 months or so. Players all start from scratch and they are wildly popular. Allows players to start fresh characters and try new builds short term.

Other games like Overwatch or Halo that are less "RPG" focused but mainly PVP focused do rankings and leaderboards. So you have a PVP ranking that will reset every season as a fresh start to allow new players to catch up.

I just see it as adding more "purpose" behind PVP. Something fun to focus on short term. I think this type of thing resonates with many casual players who like the idea of a "reset" every once in a while.

Im just curious as to what others thing. If the RoR community dislikes it, or the DEVs dislike the idea then so be it. Just trying to start discussion around what MIGHT end up being something cool to add to the game?
Sulfuras - Knight
Viskag - Chosen
Ashkandi - Swordmaster
Syzzle - Bright Wizard
Curz - Marauder
Andrithil - Blackguard

Pixie126

Post#5 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:09 pm

The top gaining renown people used to get statues in the War Quarters in Altdorf, and I am assuming somewhere in IC for Destro. That was our "leaderboard" for this game, when it was live.
You want structured PvP so you can win something, play in GW2's PvP.
Order only. Just High Elves.
Xramoth-Swordmaster (in live was Ramoth)
Caranath-White Lion (in live was Niniel)
Maldavie-Archmage (Same name in live)

Ninepaces

Post#6 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Theseus wrote:
th3gatekeeper wrote:Wow. I thought there were be more activity on this... Ok I WILL go ahead and propose a few ideas.

Nice Idea, but what for? I cant see the sense in it, such scoreboards would be nothing else than ego boosting. And if we all (myself included) do have enough of, its ego. So the need eludes me.
There is nothing wrong with competition. Without it once we finish rr80 people would lost motivation.

Smellybelly

Post#7 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:42 pm

Op has a very good point, i have dinged rr50 and got most of the stuff i wanted when i started and i suddenly find myself logging alts more and more. This IS ego boosting but in a PvP enviroment that is a good thing, you have to have the competitive aspect in mind for all PvP games.

Now i dont know if it can be done or not, but his point is very valid. It would not be for everyone though since many players simply enjoy joining some random warband and that's it for the night.

But everyone who played on Live know that the enemy always had those few famous people that everyone wanted to kill, because it felt good, because everyone knew they were good, so beating them felt great.

Promoting the 6vs6 events is one thing to go about it, helping new people get into that and teach/learn how it works etc is something we players can do.

Smellybelly

Post#8 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:43 pm

Ninepaces wrote:
Theseus wrote:

There is nothing wrong with competition. Without it once we finish rr80 people would lost motivation.
Exactly, remember on the live servers when people dinged rr100? Within a week they were gone from the game.

Ads
htraz

Post#9 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:52 pm

a week ? 5 seconds after i ding 100 i deleted war.
there was no more point to play this game.

cmon ...

th3gatekeeper

Post#10 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:03 pm

Pixie126 wrote:The top gaining renown people used to get statues in the War Quarters in Altdorf, and I am assuming somewhere in IC for Destro. That was our "leaderboard" for this game, when it was live.
You want structured PvP so you can win something, play in GW2's PvP.
I heard of this. I only played LIVE for about 2 months. Something like that could be cool as well, however is that as "public" where it could create competition on both sides? That is where I think a leaderboard would be cool... You could see it from anywhere in the game... Its not that I need to "win something" but rather as others have said here... People lose interest once they are done with the RR grind... Give another "point" or reason to playing rather than just RR levels. This is where I think a "season" idea adds value for SOME players.
Smellybelly wrote:Op has a very good point, i have dinged rr50 and got most of the stuff i wanted when i started and i suddenly find myself logging alts more and more. This IS ego boosting but in a PvP enviroment that is a good thing, you have to have the competitive aspect in mind for all PvP games.

Now i dont know if it can be done or not, but his point is very valid. It would not be for everyone though since many players simply enjoy joining some random warband and that's it for the night.

But everyone who played on Live know that the enemy always had those few famous people that everyone wanted to kill, because it felt good, because everyone knew they were good, so beating them felt great.

Promoting the 6vs6 events is one thing to go about it, helping new people get into that and teach/learn how it works etc is something we players can do.
This mimics my own experience as well. I was around when level cap was lower and only recently joined the game in January this year so for several months I was playing "catch up" and as I did, the level cap was increasing as well. Finally I hit cap, and even made alts too. After it was bumped to 40/40 and I achieved that along with my full PVP set and SC weapon I got bored. My friends got bored, and stopped playing. In my OP I kept asking myself "why dont I play RoR" because its truly a fun game and the only answer I have is "motivation". I come back, do some SCs, do some RVR, maybe gain some RR levels since I am only 40 RR... But it just feels (to me) like you dont accomplish anything. You win a match and 2 seconds later its almost as if you didnt even win. nothing to show for it minus some few currency that may or may not have value if you have all your gear...

I mean what can be done to hold someones interest once they max out?

I dont even know if it could be done in ROR or not, if its even possible...
Sulfuras - Knight
Viskag - Chosen
Ashkandi - Swordmaster
Syzzle - Bright Wizard
Curz - Marauder
Andrithil - Blackguard