Recent Topics

Ads

Permanent Realm Lockouts

Let's talk about... everything else

Poll: Should RoR have permenant realm lockouts?

Yes
41%
No
59%
Total votes: 314

Jaycub

Permanent Realm Lockouts

Post#1 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:13 am

I want to bring back a discussion that poped up a few months ago or not even that long. It's about the possibility for there to be a permanent lockout on realms meaning 1 person can only play 1 realm and would have to delete their characters to move over. And of course using multiple accounts to bypass this would be punishable by ban. From what I gather this is something that is seriously being considering by the staff so if you feel strongly one way or the other this should be your chance to get that out there.

The poll isn't official and holds no weight on the staff and all that jazz.
<Lords of the Locker Room> <Old School>

Ads
zabis

Re: Permanent Realm Lockouts

Post#2 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:48 am

I believe there should be a lockout timer of 4-6 hours, but to have a permanent lockout timer is a little over the top. While playing late night NA times, it's not uncommon to see one side have 60%+ of the population in T4. Why would I want to log into the side that is zerging? I prefer to log in and actually have fights, not have to sit around for an hour and wait on a scenario to pop.
Soulcheg wrote:Want mirrored classes - play chess.
Genisaurus wrote:You are not entitled to Best-in-Slot gear just because you log on.

TenTonHammer

Post#3 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:53 am

Temporary lock out I all for but I staunchly oppose permanent lock outs

ToXoS

Post#4 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:56 am

I voted yes.
I realize that this option is not noob-friendly due to the fact that they will not be able to test every classes the game has to offer, but still.
The playerbase has a lack of realm loyalty because it's possible to switch realms without any downside. As we all know, that leads to x-realming, which is the biggest problem of the game at the moment imo (after engies :mrgreen: ).
So yeah, this will solve this problem, even if it's a rather harsh option.

Stmichael1989

Post#5 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:10 am

Permanent lockouts will just drive people to make two accounts, after royally pissing them off and possibly causing them to quit. Definitely wouldn't have the desired effect.
StMichael - 40 Warrior Priest
Elhim - 40 Shadow Warrior
Cullexus - 40 Witch Hunter
Teuton Codpiece - 40 Knight
Gritkicker - 40 Slayer

Aethilmar

Post#6 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:47 am

It has been said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Realm lockouts have been tried already and would "solve" one problem and will ironically drive away people just like on live.

But at the end of the day, what is the purpose? To instill "realm pride". Can't make that happen and, quite frankly, many of us are over that failed concept (see the live servers for how that turned out).

To make an incentive for people to hold to a side for a series of caps? Already happens.

To make an incentive for people to fight over a zone tooth and nail for hours and hours and hours? Also already happens. As a matter of fact they specifically made changes to help flip zones faster instead of deadlocking.

If they really want for people to stick to the "losing" side to give the "winning" side opponents, they need to keep increasing the incentives for throwing your tender virtual body in the way of a zerg. Otherwise people just log or, currently, switch.

Carrots >>>>> sticks.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#7 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:57 am

A permanent realm lockout is something we talked about on staff quite some time ago. Virtually no one was in favor of it. Interest started at a month lockout, and we don't intend to have one right when the launcher arrives. We first need to collect actual data about how often xrealming occurs, and whether the GM team can handle instances of blatant abuse.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Daknallbomb
Game Artist

Post#8 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:50 am

Is there any way to help get data? Players online check aao Status or something. Write ist down and Send it?
Tinkabell 40/41 Magus Whaagit 40/41 SH Whaagot 40/54 BO Daknallfrosch 40/72shammy

Ads
spikespiegel84

Post#9 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:19 am

Permanent lockout is too much. Personally speaking it wouldn't affect my game since I only roll Destro. But 6-8 hours cooldown would be awesome.

Sulorie

Post#10 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:38 am

On live server you had like 5 min after login to change realms without punishments, then the lockout timer turned on.

Permanent lockout wouldn't fix anything, it would be the single worst idea since ages. It should be out of discussion. The server might lose more ppl than through ddos attacks.
Also you have to notice that xrealming goes in both direction, you have to track this and never punish xrealming to the smaller side.

Someone mentioned realm pride. This shallow concept has lost all value. What pride? Are you honestly proud of a realm, when you see the daily rvr/sc? Be proud of you guild or closer teammates but the whole realm? Hell no!
Dying is no option.