Recent Topics

Ads

Leveling is painfully slow

Let's talk about... everything else
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Re: Leveling is painfully slow

Post#101 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:47 pm

GodlessCrom wrote:I suspect the team will be rather hostile to this idea, but hear me out. So I dont mind the levelling as much as others seem to, but what about the limited application of a character boost system, similar to (but much more limited than) World of Warcraft's system?

The general idea would be you get one boost ever (no exceptions, no reversals, one per account not one per faction), and you acquire it by achieving 40/40 on a toon. Maybe even include some more hurdles, i.e. a hefty (100+) cost in Conq emblems/medals, or a pricetag in gold (all paid from one character).

Anyways, you get one boost and it puts the boosted character at 32/32, with a full set of...say, Devastator and Duellist, plus green pvp weapons (you wilp get your epic weapon anyways). Or hell, start em out with green pvp gear since they will farm ruin anyways.

So there. Throws a bone to those annoyed at the grind, but its one time only, and still makes you progress through t4 (i.e. epic quests, ruin farm, rr farm). No idea how feasible such an idea is from a technological or logistic standpoint (how do these chracters get boosted, and how are requests for boosts processed?) and I figure the devs wont like the idea anyways, but thought I'd give it a go for posterity's sake.
Not hostile, just that we've answered this question in many permutations with a pretty flat no. Our goal is an RvR experience through T2/T3, if players opt-out, it ruins that experience for everyone else claiming it's dead. This means kneecapping grinding and powerleveling until it's such a chore to do, that hey, why not RvR instead? It's cool, fun, and hip to the game, we have cookies, and renown, and PvP, and we know all of you that are powerleveling know how to do RvR correctly so maybe help out the fresh blood?

You can pretty easily get 4-5 levels in a night if there's fighting going on, both for rank and renown. So your leveling turns from 12 straight hours of grinding, to maybe a week of actual PvP? It wouldn't be that bad if people would just do it and stop trying to find the shortcuts.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Ads
Arthic

Post#102 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:42 pm

^Absolutely right. It wouldn't take that long IF there were more activity at different times. That would be my only complaint about T2/3, is that after 3PM Eastern, there is no guarantee anything will happen til the next morning around 8AM.

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#103 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:00 am

wargrimnir wrote:
GodlessCrom wrote:I suspect the team will be rather hostile to this idea, but hear me out. So I dont mind the levelling as much as others seem to, but what about the limited application of a character boost system, similar to (but much more limited than) World of Warcraft's system?

The general idea would be you get one boost ever (no exceptions, no reversals, one per account not one per faction), and you acquire it by achieving 40/40 on a toon. Maybe even include some more hurdles, i.e. a hefty (100+) cost in Conq emblems/medals, or a pricetag in gold (all paid from one character).

Anyways, you get one boost and it puts the boosted character at 32/32, with a full set of...say, Devastator and Duellist, plus green pvp weapons (you wilp get your epic weapon anyways). Or hell, start em out with green pvp gear since they will farm ruin anyways.

So there. Throws a bone to those annoyed at the grind, but its one time only, and still makes you progress through t4 (i.e. epic quests, ruin farm, rr farm). No idea how feasible such an idea is from a technological or logistic standpoint (how do these chracters get boosted, and how are requests for boosts processed?) and I figure the devs wont like the idea anyways, but thought I'd give it a go for posterity's sake.
Not hostile, just that we've answered this question in many permutations with a pretty flat no. Our goal is an RvR experience through T2/T3, if players opt-out, it ruins that experience for everyone else claiming it's dead. This means kneecapping grinding and powerleveling until it's such a chore to do, that hey, why not RvR instead? It's cool, fun, and hip to the game, we have cookies, and renown, and PvP, and we know all of you that are powerleveling know how to do RvR correctly so maybe help out the fresh blood?

You can pretty easily get 4-5 levels in a night if there's fighting going on, both for rank and renown. So your leveling turns from 12 straight hours of grinding, to maybe a week of actual PvP? It wouldn't be that bad if people would just do it and stop trying to find the shortcuts.
Aye, makes sense. As I said, 'twas just a thought. Thanks for taking the time to answer :)
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

Dabbart

Post#104 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:04 am

Arthic wrote:^Absolutely right. It wouldn't take that long IF there were more activity at different times. That would be my only complaint about T2/3, is that after 3PM Eastern, there is no guarantee anything will happen til the next morning around 8AM.

There is if you start something up. You only need a few people to start taking BOs and knocking on a keep door. if you attack it, they will come. post up in /5 to get those with Alts, and you'll get a WB going in no time. Talk some smack in /s and you might get a fight out of it. A step by step breakdown of how to accomplish this was posted in the first few pages of this thread already.

I understand the desire to have a somewhat thriving lower tier system. Personally, I've done that enough times. I like having 3+ tactics and 12+ mastery points to accomplish what my class is supposed to accomplish, under that and I feel like I learn bad habits, sometimes literally being forced to use abilities, tactics or chains that you would never again utilize in X more lvls. And so I will PL. I however, have no problem just bringing a toon with a buddy to some 40champs or a large clump of mobs and farm for 6 hrs. To each their own.
Azarael wrote: It's only a nerf if you're bad.

(see, I can shitpost too!)
Secrets wrote: Kindly adjust your attitude to actually help the community and do not impose your will on it. You aren't as powerful as you think.

altharion1
Banned

Post#105 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:38 am

Devs and GMs just dont get it.

Your player base is telling you that leveling is too slow and boring asf.
Your player base is telling you that T2/3 pvp is no fun, dead and a waste of time

Ignoring your players and forcing them to play how you want them to is not going to work. Look at when they tried to force people to move away from Nordland in T1 when it was locked. you cant force people to play in a way that they don't want to.

Get people into T4 asap and enjoy the game properly. T1-3 is like the story intro/how to play mission at the start of most single player games. After you;ve done it once you always skip it on your next play through.
WL Althii
SM Althirion
DoK Milkmilk
BO Sizematters

Youtube Vids

Loans

Post#106 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:35 pm

altharion1 wrote:Devs and GMs just dont get it.

Your player base is telling you that T2/3 pvp is no fun, dead and a waste of time

Ignoring your players and forcing them to play how you want them to is not going to work. Look at when they tried to force people to move away from Nordland in T1 when it was locked. you cant force people to play in a way that they don't want to.

Get people into T4 asap and enjoy the game properly. T1-3 is like the story intro/how to play mission at the start of most single player games. After you;ve done it once you always skip it on your next play through.
I agree, then lot's of time to grind conqueror but before lot's of time wasted in low tiers

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#107 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:53 pm

I'm sorry, but we don't agree. I know it's hard to deal with being told the opposite of what you want is what will be happening in the future. Our goal is not to get people into T4 ASAP, and we find that mindset is what is causing T2/T3 to be 'dead', so powerleveling/grinding will be getting some hammers until it's meeting our goals.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

CzarRedwall

Post#108 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:39 pm

If only WAR had something like lotro, the storyline quest that characters could just follow and level off of.

Ads
Emissary
Community Management

Post#109 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:15 pm

First want to state I love you all and thank you for the privilege to get to play a game you all have set aside your free time to help me enjoy mine. Neutrino knows me from my days in Drow in live and when I played against him on order for Grudge and Fatal.

That being said, I am in NA (EST) and get to play about 3 to 4 hours a day between my time of 6pm to 10pm. During that time there may be only less than 30 peeps in T1 and maybe only 6 or 7 active in the lakes while destro (I play order) has around a wb. It is great to get that one kill every 4 or 5 of my deaths, but it isn't as fun as the 4 wbs in t4 are having. I played since Beta on live and did have four toons that were 40 and around rr 40 on this server up until about a month ago when I came back from a two month break and they were all gone. I am currently leveling up a WP and Kotbs to 40 for the third time in my life. I know the characters inside and out and believe myself to be extremely knowledgeable on their play style as well as any and all other characters in Warhammer, in live I had all destro and order toons to rr 70 or higher and several rr100 toons. While yes, I understand leveling and yes I used to have fun in t1 through t3 it is not now. To few descent fights and well once you level through the questing part of all zones more than 30 times in your life you can't help but dread one more time of doing it.

I get on and look at all my t1 toons and wish I could play them in RVR but all my guildies are in T4 and those destro I love playing with and fighting against are too, then I just log onto my lvl 38 WP and play him as I can not go through the boredom of leveling another toon for the 30th time or more during the NA playing times. Grinding mobs is the most productive to get to T4 quickly but blah on the boredom scale.

I have zero answer to how to teach anyone to play a character for the first time to 40 and level the way it is now, because no matter what they are not learning the true way to play those characters. In the lower tiers there just is not enough bodies playing right now and while plans are in the works, and I appreciate the time you are spending doing these plans, I am just staring at a screen looking at all my T1 toons wishing to goodness I could get out there and play with those characters in T4 with my friends.

I know my grammar, punctuation, and all that sucks so thank you for listening to this Southern guys rant and thank you again for all you all do everyday to help me play this game I missed for so long. I just wish it was in T4 with my friends
"Courage, Honor, Loyalty, Sacrifice. You're braver than you think."

Watch me on Twitch!!!

odapain

Post#110 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:26 pm

wargrimnir wrote:

I'm sorry, but we don't agree. I know it's hard to deal with being told the opposite of what you want is what will be happening in the future. Our goal is not to get people into T4 ASAP, and we find that mindset is what is causing T2/T3 to be 'dead', so powerleveling/grinding will be getting some hammers until it's meeting our goals.
hi wargrimmir. would a compramise be something you guys could consider instead of throwing hammers and nerfing things perhaps buffing lakes to be the place to be if you wish to level fast ect and even maybe adding the stop xp book im pretty confident this would attract people to the lake's in all tiers instead of ruining the game for alot that want to play how they want to play. i mean it is your servers you can do it how you please and i ofc want to respect that but please bare in mind that the more difficult you make the game for people to play the less will play and this game is not a game you can play by yourself.