Recent Topics

Ads

How does block work since 10/13/17 patch?

Let's talk about... everything else
CiPhErEnIgMa

How does block work since 10/13/17 patch?

Post#1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:16 am

Still unclear on how block is now supposed to calculated.

Old way of calculation before 10/13/17 patch: (please confirm this is correct)
Spoiler:
(block_rating/attacker_offensive_stat)*.2 = block % Example: LvL 15 chosen with 157 block rating, +1% block from gear, being attacked by LvL 19 warrior priest (97 str) with one hander: (157/97)*.2 = 33.4% block.

After combat logging the two above characters with 1760 auto attacks, I witnessed block rates of 18.2%. So, obviously either this equation is no longer valid, or never was.
New way of calculation as of 10/13/17:
Spoiler:
This is all guessing, but it is based on the new parry/dodge/disrupt mechanics (it was mentioned block would be similar but with different weighting)

%_defender_blockchance = {[blockrating/(defenderLvL*7.5+50)]*X1}+%_defenderblockbonus-%_attackerblockstrikethrough

X1 is our first unknown, this is the weight at which this is to be calculated. Patch notes mentioned this will be 'different' so i'm assuming wont be using the .2 as in the old method.

%_attacker_blockpenetration = [attacker_offensivestat/(attackerLvL*X2)]*X1

X2 represents our other unknown value, which is the block value for an npc gained per level.

Now for the final roll:

100+%_attacker_blockpenetration = possible range of number rolls by random number generator

rolled number has to be less than %_defender_blockchance in order to block.

Example: Assuming X1 is still .2 as before the patch, and assuming X2 is 3.85, we have:

20.3% = {[157/(15*7.5+50)]*.2}+.01-0 = %_defender_blockchance

26.5% = [97/(19*3.85)]*.2 = %_attacker_blockpenetration

100+26.5 = 126.5 is possible range of number rolls by random number generator

rolled number has to be less than 20.3 in order to block. Thus, 20.3/126.5 = 16% chance to block.
My real world testing through combat logging is kind of in the neighborhood of this new way of calculation, however if I change the blockrating or other variable it quickly becomes inaccurate. I am assuming the block check is performed first, followed by parry (or disrupt or dodge whatever is applicable). Please correct me if I am wrong in assuming this.

I have tried building an experimental equation while manipulating blockrating and strength values in real world testing to try and solve for the variables to no avail. Sure would be a whole lot easier if the devs could either paste the formula in here for us and or drop some hints as to how block is calculated now.

The reason for this quest of mine is in building a stat weight calculator in excel so I could actually understand how different stats relate to each other so that I may equip characters optimally.

Ads