Recent Topics

Ads

Jumping Into PvP

Let's talk about... everything else
Breidr

Jumping Into PvP

Post#1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:54 am

Started playing about a week ago. I've begun to level up a chosen and see some of the PvE chapters out there and max out my chapter influence. I've gotten some groups and done the PQs, but I've started to dive into RvR and start queuing for scenarios.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that this is a PvP game first, and a PvE game second. I'll probably go through the various areas and check out as many chapters as I can, if I can. I've got plenty of character slots, the only thing that may stand in my way is server population, but no big deal.

Right now I'm not very knowledgeable in gameplay, and I'm probably too low level for proper rotations. I mostly just play my chosen on points and try to hold, but that mostly gets me killed, and my delaying actions don't seem to get much for the team. If I was a new player to PvP/RvR, what might be a good starting point?

In my first thread a lot of folks recommended Chosen/KotBS or SM/BO for my request for fewer binds. I've been playing a chosen with not so great results, but it's probably due to my limited experience. If I wanted to focus on PvP with a character what should I try? It's not PvE and I can't exactly plan on a rotation, it's actually quite overwhelming

I've also started to consider faction a little bit more. It's hard to tell which faction needs players more, but if I had to guess, I'd say I should roll with Order. I feel like NA is Destruction heavy, but I could be wrong.

Ads
Darosh
Banned

Re: Jumping Into PvP

Post#2 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:19 am

I guess you are in T1 at the moment, likely below level 10 ~ you still lack <the> most important skill of your archetype: Guard.

Once you get the ability, you should try to stick to your guardee - float the guard, if it is necessary. Chosen and KotBS are likely the easiest tanks to play, given that their rotation later on comes down to essentially their CC (snare, stagger, kd, punt, interrupt, ...) abilities, HtL, Challenge, Morals and some fillers.

You can already snare (and peel) for your squishies, you will get access to your Taunt in T1, too, so you can go about learning the various animations you can interrupt; e.g.: rezzes, heals, fireclown casts (interrupting a Fiery Blast in T1 can make or break scenarios...). Furthermore, you can assist your DPS (at best your [m]DPS guardee) - pick up the addon SwiftAssist for that, it comes in really handy; manually setting assists is horribly tedious - and once you get guard do the above: stick to your guardee and adapt if necessary (mitigate bursts [most common and deadly in T1: Fireclown rotations]).
Note: Especially guard-stripping via superpunt - which you as Chosen will have access to in T4 - is one of the most important jobs you'll have.

You might want to pick up a few more addons while you are at it, if not only for the sake of cutting down the clunkly UI:
Buffhead (overhead, customizable Buffs/Debuffs/Immunities display), Enemy (Unitframes), AnywhereTrainer (respecs) are pretty much required - regardless of which class you end up playing. WSCT (if you fancy a shinier combat text), GES (announcing guardswaps in chat) and one of the various CD-tracking addons might be good aswell.

I highly suggest you find yourself a group or a guild - maybe form one with fellow new players you meet in the lakes or scenarios.

As to how to spend your renown points and stats: You can never go wrong with avoidances (parry > disrupt/dodge > block, iirc), initiative, wounds and toughness.
Unless you end up in an actual group, running 2h - especially without gear/actual expierence - won't work out, regardless of the respective level range. But, of course, if you wanna try it, try it - you are meant to learn the game in the lower tiers, just don't pick up bad habbits; e.g.: tunnelvision, no-guard brainafk mode, pointless CC (as it gifts immunities), ... .
For details you might wanna check out the Chaos subforum, there are plenty of topics relating gear setups and so on.

E: words, time to sleep.

Zintair

Post#3 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:41 am

If you have any questions regarding abbreviations that Darosh used feel free to ask as well. Welcome to a great game!

One of the basics of the chosen and kotbs is their auras. Resist aura/ strength aura and toughness aura are all major in T1. They buff you and your group and reduce your enemy around you.

Also I'd recommend using a shield and one handed weapon off the bat to give you a bit more time to understand what is going on and make you a bit tankier.

Tactics- these are special passive buffs you give your character that are very important. You won't get your first tactic or the slot for it until lvl 10 I think? keep an eye on your abilities menu to see if you gain more tactics as you level up (you don't actually train basic abilities you receive them as you level). Although you WILL train things so let me clarify. There are 3 trees to choose from. You spend points in these trees and then you will come to abilities and tactics and you can spend another point to actually train that ability or tactic or you can skip it and keep progressing up the tree. Check chaos forums for chosen specs and suggestions

Morale abilities - these are special abilities that can be used after your bar builds up enough "morale". Your first one will be demolishing strike which will put a Dot on your target and reduce their armor.

As a tank you either want to be protecting your healers and DPS with guard and snares or attacking opposing healers using taunt and damage abilities (I think ravage is a big one for chosen still)

Also it pays to swap targets to a low health one to finish them off.

Don't forget to join public warbands. You will definitely bounce to each warfront and as you orvr you will build influence similar to a PQ but with better rewards.

I'd recommend doing orvr and scenarios as this is as you said about 80% of the game. Also check out the chaos forums for chosen tips and builds.
Phoenix Throne - Bad Moon Officer - Black Guard / Chosen

ROR - Zinn SM 34/34 // Zindaddy RP
Montague

Fallenkezef

Post#4 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:47 am

My dessie is a Chosen, it is a relatively simple class.

I found it really became fun after 16. At this point you have your guard, snare and punt.

I tend to look for a marauder or choppa, put guard on him and then follow him in.
Alea iacta est

Draugris

Post#5 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:57 am

You should definitely play a class you like, otherwise you will eventually burn out sometimes. This game is more of a PvP than a PvE game yet, there is too much PvE content missing at the moment, but that will change over time.

I would recommend that you see T1 as your play and try out zone. Make a few characters, test out some classes, look at what other people say about them in the late game and make your decision then.

Regarding faction i would say that it is in favor of destruction overall, not extreme but to an extent. It always depends on the time of the day,my impression on eu is that during the day order is more active and in the evening destruction. X-Realming is definitely a thing.
Live: Carroburg -> Santorro (WH), The first Guard (TfG)

Fallenkezef

Post#6 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:03 am

Draugris wrote:You should definitely play a class you like, otherwise you will eventually burn out sometimes. This game is more of a PvP than a PvE game yet, there is too much PvE content missing at the moment, but that will change over time.

I would recommend that you see T1 as your play and try out zone. Make a few characters, test out some classes, look at what other people say about them in the late game and make your decision then.

Regarding faction i would say that it is in favor of destruction overall, not extreme but to an extent. It always depends on the time of the day,my impression on eu is that during the day order is more active and in the evening destruction. X-Realming is definitely a thing.
Picking a class you enjoy is imperative. I started a slayer, bowed to peer pressure and re-rolled IB. Just didnt like it, felt forced to play and binned it in the end.

Rolled slayer again, loved every minute.

I advise to literaly try every class to 15, take a few weeks then pick the one you had most fun with
Alea iacta est

dansari

Post#7 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:47 am

I would check the media forum for gameplay/instructional videos too. Sometimes those can be really handy and some players have talent regarding video production (so they're fun to watch too). Qep is an excellent Chosen and not too long ago released some tank pov.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=22568#p251278
<Salt Factory>