Recent Topics

Ads

Leveling advice

Let's talk about... everything else
Fallenkezef

Leveling advice

Post#1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:13 pm

So about to start, seriously, a second toon.
Figured I would share my strategies as I know others want to level.

1) Always que for scenarios: SC's are not only fun but, especialy for a first toon, drop enough greens to sell for a decent income supplement.
SC's also keep your renown rating up, which is inportant ad you should never let your RR drop below your rank.

2) Ignore quests, do PQ's: Unless you are doing it for the immersion and storyline, ignore quests. You will get FAR more exp and shinies doing the PQ's relevant to your level. Combined with SC's, this will level you faster than doing quests

By all means, go back and do the quests. I did the Dward ones post-40 becausr they are fun but it is not the best route to level.

3) Green is all you need: The renown greens from the cap city vendors is all you need for leveling, you'll out level the sets too quickly to make them worthwhile.

4) RvR: do at least 30 mins if rvr a day after R16 to start building uo a supply of bags. Some people have ended up with a significant amount of end-game gear before hitting 40/45 this way.
Alea iacta est

Ads
Renork

Re: Leveling advice

Post#2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:42 pm

The 16-30 grind is dreadful so I just log out in the city and come back two days later and grind PQ's. I know Warg recommended doing quests, but the time it takes to complete them is not worth it. You can grind mobs and sell greenies for craftings supplies, talismans, faster xp, etc..

Orvr XP was pretty slow too.

I leveled strictly through orvr and scenarios last time I played on this server, so not having scenarios pop 16-30 makes it a lot slower this time around.

Vehe

Post#3 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:50 pm

PQ's, then everything else. That's basically how I leveled up.

Of course, doing a scenarios and rvrs is also recommended. Try and have some sort of level between doing PQ's and general RvR stuff, but focus more on PQ's as that's the only great way of getting that xp (faster)

One more thing I hear about alot. People do -3 or -4 from their current rank, that's a big mistake, you want to kill +2 or +4 mobs you'll be getting twice as much as you would usually by killing mobs that are lower ranked than you.

Fallenkezef

Post#4 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:04 pm

If it's a first toon, take butchery or scavenge early on and sell the materials for extra cash.

You can always go back and farm if you want to level a crafting skill.
Alea iacta est

Havocmonger92

Post#5 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:14 pm

Should you grind PQ multiple times and move on afterwards?

Fallenkezef

Post#6 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:27 pm

One of the biggest problems with 16-31 is the SC tiers are split and there are never enough players.

Mid tier SC's really need to be 16-31
Alea iacta est

Fallenkezef

Post#7 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Havocmonger92 wrote:Should you grind PQ multiple times and move on afterwards?
Say you are level 20. Do the level 22 PQ's till you are level 22 then do the level 24
Alea iacta est

covenn

Post#8 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:24 pm

Renork wrote:The 16-30 grind is dreadful so I just log out in the city and come back two days later and grind PQ's. I know Warg recommended doing quests, but the time it takes to complete them is not worth it. You can grind mobs and sell greenies for craftings supplies, talismans, faster xp, etc..

Orvr XP was pretty slow too.

I leveled strictly through orvr and scenarios last time I played on this server, so not having scenarios pop 16-30 makes it a lot slower this time around.
Agreed, 16-31 is pretty painful.

Scenarios don't pop and quests don't reward enough XP to make it worthwhile. It is pretty grindy. For the sake of my own sanity, I would just log in grind out rested XP then switch to a different toon. Without rested it was just too much for me given how many times I leveled toons on live, here before the character wipe, and now. Heh
Irony - Phoenix Throne (on live)

Currently playing order

Ads
Axerker

Post#9 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:10 pm

The fastest XP (only XP) is just killing mobs (if you want to do it in a PQ, you can - tradeoff some extra time for influence rewards and bag loot).

Scenarios are decent for both XP/RR (pretty slow XP compared to just killing mobs, but much faster RR than RvR) - depending on instant queues and whether or not you're winning often.

RvR is definitely the worst form of XP/RR, but gives medallions and bags. You trade leveling much slower for working towards Conq pieces.

If your goal is to level as fast as possible, duo killing mobs is the fastest, depending on your class(es). Solo isn't split XP, so its faster for some. If you can duo and pull 15 at a time and kill them with no downtime, then that's much faster. A Marauder + Healer can probably hit 1-40 in like 24 hours of dedicated time. Some classes just have garbage AoE, so they rely on other group members.

Personally, I'd recommend T1 RvR until you're 15/30, then grind mobs from 16 to 32 (you'll be 32/30). Go into 32-40 SCs at level 32. If your team can carry you and you win, you get almost triple the renown (I have a screenshot of a level 32 SW literally joining and attacking one enemy once and got 2.5x the renown as everyone else who actually played. 186 damage in the last few seconds of the game got them 16k renown. The multiplier for being low level is huge, even if you attacked once).

If you do SCs at 32, you can probably hit RR 40 by the time you hit Career Level 35. From there, you can either RvR until you're 40/45 or grind mobs until you're 40/40, then go back into RvR (or SCs) to get your end-game pieces you want.

Draugris

Post#10 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:12 pm

Scenarios imo are not worth levelling, the outcome is to uncertain. If you loose sc´s you will get basically nothing. I would grind pq´s for xp´s and rvr for rr, always looking to keep them even.
Live: Carroburg -> Santorro (WH), The first Guard (TfG)