Recent Topics

Ads

Healhammer Online

Let's talk about... everything else
Aethilmar

Re: Healhammer Online

Post#91 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:51 pm

This entire thread is very reminiscent of a bunch of disaffected stuff I used to read on the SW:TOR forums about healers. I'm wondering if some of the player base is leaking over from there ... which would be ironic since that game's combat is based off of this game's combat.

Anyway, learning how to break the enemy's healers is part of the gameplay and always has been since inception. It is part of the appeal for those who like this game. If you don't like it, then perhaps this game is not for you.

Ads
Telen
Suspended

Post#92 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:52 pm

I think the fault in the design is that healers in war were designed to heal and dps just like tanks here were more than just guardbots. This meant that classes were going to need to stack multiple stats. They had to make it possible to heal well at low willpower. What this meant was healers that did decide to just heal and nothing else could stack loads of defence without completely tanking their healing.

Vandoles

Post#93 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:14 pm

Telen wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:52 pm I think the fault in the design is that healers in war were designed to heal and dps just like tanks here were more than just guardbots. This meant that classes were going to need to stack multiple stats. They had to make it possible to heal well at low willpower. What this meant was healers that did decide to just heal and nothing else could stack loads of defence without completely tanking their healing.
Yeh, that + infinite resource to heal with. Healers in other games often have to sacrifice mana (or another resource) to stack more defense. In WAR there is no tradeoff between heal resource or health.

Telen
Suspended

Post#94 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:41 pm

Personally I'd like to see healer mechanics more rewarding towards doing both dps and healing not just one and willpower being far more of a factor in healing. So if you want to be a healbot you need to stack willpower or use the mechanic, not just stacking defences and wounds.

Luuca

Post#95 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:05 pm

Mez wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:48 pm Make heals, cleanses and buffs disrupt as well. MOAR realistic.
Why stop there? Make Friendly Fire a thing.. AoE hits friends and foes alike. Oil is faction neutral and kills indiscriminately. I can go on. It may be very interesting for a day or a week.. making attacks very selective, basically adding a layer of coordination to team play, and conal morales deadlier than they are today.

Jimsey0000

Post#96 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:05 am

I never played live, but to speak frank, and all out of sides if i may; i cannot stand the way healers and healing is designed in this game. I never played live, and it's disappointing as hell to just level up and see it's nothing but the worst offender for a heal-fest the mmo genre has ever seen. Lets see, casting while moving, half their abilities knock you back, some of their main damage attacks also snare you, no resource management to speak of (even while i'm spamming action point drain on them!), even dps healers can heal through the damage of 2+ people most of the time. It gratifies me to know that Mythic crashed and burned for wasting peoples time like this when they could have been applying all kinds of objective lessons they learned in DAOC; they should have AT LEAST put hard interrupts on casting. And now Mark Jacobs WANTS TO DO IT AGAIN with Camelot Unchained! some of the latest stuff on the CU website sounds like they want to put this tank-healer-caster hybrid crap into CU.

I degress... this game is so biased toward healers you might as well have nothing but dps healers on both sides duking it out.
Healhammer indeed... I even saw a guy in the Rift forum begging for Rift not to become "Healhammer"

Honestly Mythic doesn't do the IPs justice they get their hands on... they really don't deserve the IPs they code for, they get everything all screwed up with their own biases; when it comes to DAOC for example, the Arthurian legends weren't about casters, stealthers, and healers for example, they were about knights and warriors; that's where the emphasis should lie, the other class archetypes should just be there to support them, not the other freaking way around as it was in DAOC, and will likely be in CU. I really wish some other developer besides former Mythic employees would get ahold of the Arthurian IP. Land of Britain sounded like a spiritual successor of DAOC, moreso than Castalot Unchained but it appears to be vaporware, possibly.

Back on the subject again;
honestly, there's really no logical reason for a PVP game to focus on healing, that defeats the entire purpose of PVP... almost certainly, that's a factor why modern pvp games have moved away from healing as game design philosophies evolved, as well as other nonsensical BS philosophy like "ranged should do more damage than melee" Another one of Mythics favorite.

Was the original Warhammer Fantasy RPG this heal-oriented? How about Warhammer Tabletop? I never got into Warhammer, but i always got the impression that it was a "deadly" "low ttk" "death-oriented" rather than "keep-people-alive-oriented" game. Sorry if this was a bit negative, but i just got out of like the 400,000th SC where healing, particularly DPS AMs dominated everything. AMs in particular, either the healing, tankiness, or DPS needs to go, one of the three. They seem to have better sustained DPS than a freaking Bright Wizard, even though they have lesser burst capabilities.

Anyway, at least you can play as chaos in Warsword Conquest Warhammer mod for Mount and Blade Warband; there's no healers in it. Not to say Warhammer Online doesn't have it's moments, and this private server was indeed a great feat to have coded/maintenanced/created, but it's moments get inevitably cut short by one or two specific things (see topic).

Sulorie

Post#97 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:22 am

Jimsey0000 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:05 am I never played live, but to speak frank, and all out of sides if i may; i cannot stand the way healers and healing is designed in this game. I never played live, and it's disappointing as hell to just level up and see it's nothing but the worst offender for a heal-fest the mmo genre has ever seen. Lets see, casting while moving, half their abilities knock you back, some of their main damage attacks also snare you, no resource management to speak of (even while i'm spamming action point drain on them!), even dps healers can heal through the damage of 2+ people most of the time. It gratifies me to know that Mythic crashed and burned for wasting peoples time like this when they could have been applying all kinds of objective lessons they learned in DAOC; they should have AT LEAST put hard interrupts on casting. And now Mark Jacobs WANTS TO DO IT AGAIN with Camelot Unchained! some of the latest stuff on the CU website sounds like they want to put this tank-healer-caster hybrid crap into CU.

I degress... this game is so biased toward healers you might as well have nothing but dps healers on both sides duking it out.
Healhammer indeed... I even saw a guy in the Rift forum begging for Rift not to become "Healhammer"

Honestly Mythic doesn't do the IPs justice they get their hands on... they really don't deserve the IPs they code for, they get everything all screwed up with their own biases; when it comes to DAOC for example, the Arthurian legends weren't about casters, stealthers, and healers for example, they were about knights and warriors; that's where the emphasis should lie, the other class archetypes should just be there to support them, not the other freaking way around as it was in DAOC, and will likely be in CU. I really wish some other developer besides former Mythic employees would get ahold of the Arthurian IP. Land of Britain sounded like a spiritual successor of DAOC, moreso than Castalot Unchained but it appears to be vaporware, possibly.

honestly, there's really no logical reason for a PVP game to focus on healing, that defeats the entire purpose of PVP... almost certainly, that's a factor why modern pvp games have moved away from healing as game design philosophies evolved, as well as other nonsensical BS philosophy like "ranged should do more damage than melee" Another one of Mythics favorite.

Was the original Warhammer Fantasy RPG this heal-oriented? How about Warhammer Tabletop? I never got into Warhammer, but i always got the impression that it was a "deadly" "low ttk" "death-oriented" rather than "keep-people-alive-oriented" game. Sorry if this was a bit negative, but i just got out of like the 400,000th SC where healing, particularly DPS AMs dominated everything. AMs in particular, either the healing, tankiness, or DPS needs to go, one of the three. They seem to have better sustained DPS than a freaking Bright Wizard, even though they have lesser burst capabilities.

Anyway, at least you can play as chaos in Warsword Conquest Warhammer mod for Mount and Blade Warband; there's no healers in it. Not to say Warhammer Online doesn't have it's moments, and this private server was indeed a great feat to have coded/maintenanced/created, but it's moments get inevitably cut short by one or two specific things (see topic).
Instead of telling everyone you are a newbie, who lacks basic understanding of the game mechanics, you could have used your post to ask for help. Sadly you missed the chance.
Dying is no option.

witchdoctor

Post#98 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:18 am

Jimsey0000 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:05 am Sorry if this was a bit negative, but i just got out of like the 400,000th SC where healing, particularly DPS AMs dominated everything.
Sorry for that, Next time i'll play with 1 hand in my pants. :D

Ads
anarchypark

Post#99 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:51 am

Jimsey0000 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:05 am
Spoiler:
I never played live, but to speak frank, and all out of sides if i may; i cannot stand the way healers and healing is designed in this game. I never played live, and it's disappointing as hell to just level up and see it's nothing but the worst offender for a heal-fest the mmo genre has ever seen. Lets see, casting while moving, half their abilities knock you back, some of their main damage attacks also snare you, no resource management to speak of (even while i'm spamming action point drain on them!), even dps healers can heal through the damage of 2+ people most of the time. It gratifies me to know that Mythic crashed and burned for wasting peoples time like this when they could have been applying all kinds of objective lessons they learned in DAOC; they should have AT LEAST put hard interrupts on casting. And now Mark Jacobs WANTS TO DO IT AGAIN with Camelot Unchained! some of the latest stuff on the CU website sounds like they want to put this tank-healer-caster hybrid crap into CU.

i think you don't get the composition of tank-dps-heal.
it's traditional mmorpg PvE composition.
in RoR(AoR) they added PvP elements in it. still, basic is same as PvE.
tanks get aggro from players. dps kill players. healers heal players.
unlike PvE it needs more brain. that's teamwork.

you're complaining about dps AM and healing.
but what you need is just 1 pure healer on your side.
irony huh?

it's team play game. you choose solo. deal with consequences.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS5, BW5, WP8, WH7, IB7, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm5, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)

Shalktonin

Post#100 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:18 pm

considering my WP and RP can usually out heal any AM on the block i'm pretty sure your bias against AMs is showing through your rant on healers. Good try though.
Scientia potentia est, tene hanc bene