Recent Topics

Ads

Status of the Choppa ?.

Let's talk about... everything else
Diggot
Suspended

Status of the Choppa ?.

Post#1 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:56 pm

Started playing RoR a few days ago and during this time, i have spoken to several players
ingame about the status of the Choppa. And the general opinion is that this class is more
or less broken because it apparently only has 1 viable build - compared to it's mirror - the slayer,
which has multiple viable builds and is far superior at its task as hand.. to kill .

I did also do some research on these forums and found old threads from 2016-2017 that
described the choppa and a severely underperforming class, low damage and non-existant survivability.
And in this case i'm abit worried because there are several classes with VERY high survivability and
at the same time, has the dps to literally facemelt players 1v1.

I've also read that most replies that tried to defend the low performance of the choppa,
blamed it on that "it's a group unit". But then i think, aren't tanks, healers and Rdps also
more useful in groups ?. I've seen Choppas that were supported by a healer - instantly die anyway..

What brought me back to RoR after 3-4 years (i played the very first beta years ago) was that
i read that the devs were very very good at rebalancing and working hard to give the classes
a proper balancing... unlike the EA-devs which heavily favored Order (admitted by devs that only played Order).

So now i'm abit worried that despite all these years of player-feedback on the choppa-class,
they are still that class that fell of the wagon in terms of performance.

Back in WAR live, i mained a Choppa and saw plenty of unbalanced between them and the Slayer,
and there were multiple abilities which the Slayer had, that by other means in the game were
told to be overpowered.
For example, there was a Talisman in the LoTD that could only be slotted in LoTD-weapons and
gave them the ability to fully ignore player-defense on proc for a few seconds. This talisman was deemed
overpowered by the devs and removed from the game. But the slayerskill "Rampage" which gives slayers
the same ability, for 40s/min , was still kept by the slayers.

The message by the devs in this case was bascially that slayers were allowed to keep ability
that in other hands, was deemed overpowered.

I also read alot of comments that the only reason to play choppa instead of Marauder is if you "must be green",
otherwise there's no point because Marauder has more dps, more utility, more survivability.

So.. after 2+ years - what is the current standing on the choppa-class ?.

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Re: Status of the Choppa ?.

Post#2 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:20 pm

Choppa is fine.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Arabeth

Post#3 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:22 pm

Ramble seems to like it haha
Smashbert
Rollypolly

TenTonHammer

Post#4 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:42 am

Diggot wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:56 pm Started playing RoR a few days ago and during this time, i have spoken to several players
ingame about the status of the Choppa. And the general opinion is that this class is more
or less broken because it apparently only has 1 viable build - compared to it's mirror - the slayer,
which has multiple viable builds and is far superior at its task as hand.. to kill .

I did also do some research on these forums and found old threads from 2016-2017 that
described the choppa and a severely underperforming class, low damage and non-existant survivability.
And in this case i'm abit worried because there are several classes with VERY high survivability and
at the same time, has the dps to literally facemelt players 1v1.

I've also read that most replies that tried to defend the low performance of the choppa,
blamed it on that "it's a group unit". But then i think, aren't tanks, healers and Rdps also
more useful in groups ?. I've seen Choppas that were supported by a healer - instantly die anyway..

So.. after 2+ years - what is the current standing on the choppa-class ?.
Ah reading this takes me back, the back and forth on the viability of choppa espically when compared to slayer

Quite a few things have changed since those day, not only buffs to some aspects of choppa but nerfs to slayer skills like inevitable doom and BO no longer making chop fasta irrelevant.

We also got interesting new options in tactics like close combat and the buffed strong finish which along with the changes to weaklin killa and no more healpin means 2H choppa is much stronger than it was back in the day

The specs are still savage hitta or savage wreka

Choppa is better but your still very item reliant, you still need an armor debuff and you still need support

but now its not so straight up "oh you wanna play choppa? just play BO instead"

peterthepan3

Post#5 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:50 am

Amazing class. Don't be deterred by the fact that most Choppa players tend to play them in a weird kamikaze-solo-rambo fashion; with good support you can unleash a world of hurt, and are incredibly potent.

blakokami

Post#6 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:11 am

They have a good AoE spec. So they can be good in RvR and 12v12/18v18 sc's. Their single target spec is good too. Bleed em out could use some love though. I think they could use a little more oumph for single target considering what their mirror slayer has available.
Old School / Lords of the Locker Room

oaliaen

Post#7 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:10 am

bad till 70...fun in 80.

Kabuterimonga
Suspended

Post#8 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:16 am

i main as a choppa and i have nothin bad to say about the class, it's fakin great i love it
Kabuterimon RR 109
Kabuchop RR 101
Kabusquig RR 92
Tentomon RR 86

Ads
Panzerkasper

Post#9 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:17 am

Compared to the slayer it's aweful, but still it's not as bad as it used to be.

These whole "it's a good group" class arguements are nothing but a sorry excuse to the mediocre state of the choppa.

30/12/2018 RIP 2h Chosen

Ysaran

Post#10 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:11 am

Choppa is an hard class to play, ppl know of your limited survivability and tend to focus in you, so you have ti be carful and master the abilities of positioning and to understand your enemies force. Slayer and choppa brings different things to the group but are quite balanced atm. If you know what to do with a choppa you can be a real threat for every class
Zputadenti