Recent Topics

Ads

SOR ruins the game

Let's talk about... everything else
Zxul

Re: SOR ruins the game

Post#11 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:55 pm

Foofmonger wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:44 pm If the system doesn't facilitate good gameplay then the issue is not how the players use the system, but how the system is deigned.

We all know the current system is not great. It wasn't great in 2008, or 2012 either, and shows exactly some of the reasons that we are playing on a private server for a dead game instead of a live server for a live game.

Pretty sure the devs are aware and trying to rework. SOR is not the issue, player behavior is not the issue, the campaign/ORVR/city system has some fundamental design flaws.
Actually, part 1- related.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39336
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Ads
Brew

Post#12 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:03 pm

Wasn't implying you were mad, that was more directed at the OP.
<Art Supplies>

CountTalabecland

Post#13 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:25 pm

SoR is not the problem.

The underlying problem is campaign stagnation and hopelessness of reaching a city depending on when you log on. If gear/campaign progression actually allowed people to progress their character each time they logged on, then I think things would get more fluid again.

Currently its more a matter of allocating your time as it makes sense for each character based on the campaign. It would be a lot easier if you could always jump in on a character and play knowing that you are working towards gear. And something more concrete than 1-2 Royals every 6-8 zones in a lucky bag roll.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

Gurf

Post#14 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:00 pm

I agree it ruins all surprise and means you pretty much know if a keep will be taken or not. You know as soon as guilds cross zone and where they have gone. I don't really see the advantage of it.

When it was suggested in a previous post that it gets removed the devs just said no, but I would like to know why it is even considered a positive addon for the game?

Brew

Post#15 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:31 pm

Gurf wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:00 pm I agree it ruins all surprise and means you pretty much know if a keep will be taken or not. You know as soon as guilds cross zone and where they have gone. I don't really see the advantage of it.

When it was suggested in a previous post that it gets removed the devs just said no, but I would like to know why it is even considered a positive addon for the game?
Considering we only hit peaks of 600 people in t4 what does it matter? You think we won't know what zone people are going to when they fail a siege and mysteriously leave the zone? A quick flight and a check for AAO and you instantly know where people are. It is the same thing. SOR is a non issue.

This community loves sitting in Praag, TM and Dragonwake for 10+ hours at a time. SOR lets them do just that. What is the problem here?
<Art Supplies>

Tommo

Post#16 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:38 am

Personally, I love it.

It let's me know quickly and easily where the action is and where to go.

Being on limited play time, I don't want to spend my entire 1 hour of game time per night, roaming around empty zones trying to find a fight.
Sure, /T4 is spammed with where the enemies are and what they are doing, if a RAM has been spawned, but sometimes it's not.
SoR can easily let you know if it's a night for oRvR, SC, PvE or Crafting.

You can still have the element of surprise, SoR doesn't tell you when a RAM is spawned, location of the RAM etc. so you still have the advantage. There's enough players pveing in all zones to be able to announce that something is flagged, or about to be.

I do not believe, in anyway, that SoR is the reason for the stupidly long stalemates in zones. This is all to do with the players. There's always a "Call To Arms" to defend the keeps. SoR has nothing to do with this. This is people logging on to defend, or attack, or stop pve/sc/semi afking in city to assist. They then go back to what they were doing.

SoR is merely a tool to let you know easily, and efficiently, where the action is. Everything else is due to players responding to what is going on.

Alfa1986

Post#17 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:25 am

they had already said that they will not disable / block SOR. Someone even climed in previous thread that this is not technically possible at all.
15th orks on a dead elf's chest
yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Cheslock

Post#18 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:43 am

No one wants to play the game they just want ez gear

Ads
GamesBond
Former Staff

Post#19 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:56 am

Just a quick clarification, the SoR web version is not maintained or supported by the team, it's a player who took the initiative to make it (whether the outcome is good or bad it's up to you to rule).

p00ky

Post#20 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:57 am

Acidic wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:53 pm My “feeling” is that the addon and also the web version of it removes the ability to sneak attack , removes some of the strategy and need for reliable sources in zones relaying information.

Currently ppl defending zone go only to meet the number in attacked zone removing the ability to use smoke and mirrors of strategy .

Would be good to add a frequency of update once every 5+ minutes to sor Updates
This is so true. Giving exact population numbers does ruin the game in terms of suprise attacks etc. I always have it open and my decision to go oRvR or not is completly based on these numbers. Pugs use it just as much as premades and WB leaders, the main difference is premades try to trick the numbers by hiding for 5 minutes in the PvE areas :roll:

The fact that you can instantly see when a siege is probably going to take place because numbers of 1 of the factions start to increase or that you can guess when people have giving up on an area of siege because numbers decrease, totally ruin the suprise factore. You also know when there is a stalemate because of the equal numbers in a zone.

Some posts above, there was the idea to grant data info but not the specific numbers, this would definetly spice up the RvR a bit.