Recent Topics

Ads

do you think we will ever have a single crest currency like at the end of live ?

Let's talk about... everything else
Nomi

do you think we will ever have a single crest currency like at the end of live ?

Post#1 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:52 pm

The single crest currency was so much better for both new characters and old characters alike. Is there maybe a chance of bringing it back ?

Ads
Noslock

Re: do you think we will ever have a single crest currency like at the end of live ?

Post#2 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:04 pm

Not in this lifetime

Nomi

Re: do you think we will ever have a single crest currency like at the end of live ?

Post#3 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:00 pm

Is there a good reason? or is it just that they want us to have thousands of useless crests?

Secrets
Former Staff

Post#4 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:49 pm

It's to maintain separate gear progression paths. There are no plans to change this. Other gear sets/weapons sets have yet to be released. Off the top of my head, we're missing:

PVE:
- Darkpromise ( Invader (and between Warlord?) Quality)
- Tyrant (between Warlord/Sov)

RvMvR:
- Hunter's Vale (may be just a PVE set, unsure - no development started on the set or otherwise)

Scenarios:
- Ranked Solo Weapons - upgrade to SC weapon
- Ranked Solo Jewelry - small upgrade to Genesis (TBD - not confirmed)
- Ranked Solo - Possible Second Gear Set between Warlord / Sov

RvR:
- Small Upgrade to Genesis (TBD - not confirmed)
- Sovereign Weapons

We're also missing the Skaven sets (Doomflayer/Warpforged), though I think their appearance was repurposed as we'd rather implement keep upgrades / new classes in lieu of Skaven.

Acamano

Post#5 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:22 pm

@Secrets but if we aren't working towards creating the Skaven faction, what has this all been for...? lol

VindicoAtrum

Post#6 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:33 pm

Secrets wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:49 pm It's to maintain separate gear progression paths. There are no plans to change this. Other gear sets/weapons sets have yet to be released. Off the top of my head, we're missing:

PVE:

RvMvR:
- Hunter's Vale (may be just a PVE set, unsure - no development started on the set or otherwise)

Scenarios:

RvR:
- Sovereign Weapons

We're also missing the Skaven sets (Doomflayer/Warpforged), though I think their appearance was repurposed as we'd rather implement keep upgrades / new classes in lieu of Skaven.
This doesn't explain why separate gear progression is a good idea, because I can't see any positives.

Either I'm on my SC chars and RVR feels pointless, or I'm on my RVR chars and SCs feel pointless. That feels... like poor use of game assets.

CountTalabecland

Post#7 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:45 pm

I think devs, notwithstanding Secrets post above, have been clear that we won’t be seeing them again.

The devs are fine with RvR and Scens being separated by spec. I would prefer universal progression but that’s irrelevant.

Especially with ranked gear being above any regular scen gear and having a main spec option, there’s really nothing particulary “end game” about regular scens so I wouldn’t imagine they would let you progress towards sov from them.

They are just where you get gear at lower levels/play for offspex fun. Ranked scens are technically “universal” in that the emblems can be used for main or off spec but still aren’t sov level.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#8 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:16 pm

VindicoAtrum wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:33 pm
Secrets wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:49 pm It's to maintain separate gear progression paths. There are no plans to change this. Other gear sets/weapons sets have yet to be released. Off the top of my head, we're missing:

PVE:

RvMvR:

Scenarios:

RvR:
- Sovereign Weapons

This doesn't explain why separate gear progression is a good idea, because I can't see any positives.

Either I'm on my SC chars and RVR feels pointless, or I'm on my RVR chars and SCs feel pointless. That feels... like poor use of game assets.
The eternally meme'd line poorly delivered by EA "Sense of pride and accomplishment". In their case it was related to grinding for lootboxes, which is why it was so poorly received. However, MMO's are by design filling your need for grind. Any MMO that claims otherwise is doing a hell of a job tricking you if you believe them, or is so littered with easy to get stuff, all of it is meaningless. We're not able to easily create new assets, so the assets we have are all we have. The faster we give away all the assets we have, the less reason you have for playing. Take from that what you will.

The other side of why currency is not universal, is that universal currency allows you to choose one activity and repeat it forever, with no regard to other content in the game. On live, at least on most of the NA servers, this meant people only queued for Scenarios the majority of the time, and RvR was frequently underpopulated. This only changed when they added unique rewards back to RvR with the Doomflayer/Warpforged sets. Rather than corner ourselves into needing to drastically bribe players with easy set acquisition, staying the course with unique currency to each type of content allows each type of content to have a reason to play it.

In the grand scheme of things, Scenarios are the easiest and most efficient way to spend time earning currency, which in large part is why their costs are higher. The more people in queue, the faster they pop, and the less likely you run into the dreaded indomitable premades in back to back matches. If you can earn universal currency from them, it makes a lot more sense to run scenarios on repeat, rather than running around in RvR lakes with various levels of activity at any given time. This causes a feedback loop. The most convenient and efficient method of acquiring currency is simply what people will play. RvR requires critical mass to be an efficient method of earning currency. If Scenarios become the default method of earning currency and RvR loses it's critical mass required for a smooth experience, less people will choose RvR as an option for earning currency.

Universal currency is a simple idea, but it's fraught with dangerous precendent and known consequences that we already suffered through on live, both initially and in the "solution" of desperately escalated gear levels which for some people was arguably worse.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Ads
Secrets
Former Staff

Post#9 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:31 am

VindicoAtrum wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:33 pm

PVE:

RvMvR:

Scenarios:

RvR:
- Sovereign Weapons

It's a good idea because it allows all forms of gameplay to be played evenly by the entire playerbase.
If someone wants a specific gear set from specific content, they have to do that content. It makes people do content they otherwise would have no interest in on the surface. Instead they actually... do the content because they need the gear.

For example: Me. I didn't like the idea of doing PVE for the longest time. Thought it was pointless, the gear was garbage, and the rewards were meaningless. Gunbad had two jewels (prior to forts being implemented, of course) that were good. There was no reason to do Gunbad. Now? Sentinel's in. The ring is BIS for a LOT of classes and pretty much mix/matches with a lot of other, non-PVE gear combinations.

Bloodlord is a great weapon choice for those willing to sacrifice armor and toughness for damage. It's also only from PVE.
Scenario Weapons are still a well rounded choice between Invader Weapons and Bloodlord.
Invader Weapons have procs that are niche for some classes. But you also need Invader to get Sov.

In short, there's a lot of gear synergy between sets. There's also a reason to play more than just one content type.

For example, WL's BIS as of this post is:
2pc Triumphant (Belt/Boots - Ranked Solo)
2pc Sentinel (Gloves/Jewel, PVE)
5pc Sov (Jewel/Cloak/Helm/Chest/Shoulders, from City RvR)
2pc Genesis (Open RvR)
Bloodlord Weapon (PvE) or Invader Weapon (PvP)
+24 Talismans / Potions / Liniments (PvE, Weekend Warfronts, Guild Quests, Chapter 22)
Beastlord Book (PvE Hunter's Quest)

You can also swap out the Triumphant for 2% crit from Conq. It's pretty much the same thing.

It's a wide variety of content, and involves basically every aspect of the game to get BIS. There's also options which are important to have. And it means that people who need one type of content don't get shafted by those who don't, as every content gets played equally and players do not get bored. Unlike other games, we don't answer to investors here. We don't have people that sub to this game. We have full creative freedom and this is what we've found is best.

VindicoAtrum

Post#10 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:57 am

Well consider me educated on the matter, both very useful replies, thank you.