Recent Topics

Ads

Should it be easier/faster for fresh 40s to gear up?

Let's talk about... everything else

Poll: Should it be easier/faster for fresh 40s to gear up?

yes
50%
no
50%
Total votes: 173

orillah
Suspended

Re: Should it be easier/faster for fresh 40s to gear up?

Post#41 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:37 pm

You are only competitive once you're close to bis gear.
And gearing even one char, not talking about 10, is a very long/boring/time consuming labor.
Farming more than one full bloodlord set is abomination.

I dont know why some people so strongly defend mindless grinding...

Ads
Sponn
Suspended

Post#42 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:11 am

orillah wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:37 pm You are only competitive once you're close to bis gear.
And gearing even one char, not talking about 10, is a very long/boring/time consuming labor.

I don't think it is mindless grinding. There is something to be said about earning something through strife or whatnot, even in an MMO. I think too many youngsters now adays and new players just want instant gratification. If you want to experience all the content casually in an MMO within an month then you can play WoW and Guild Wars 2. They do a great job of it personally. For RoR I like the slow burn. I like slowly learning my class and learning good habits for when you actually get geared which makes you even better.

I personally don't want people being handed gear, equivocating it with skill and knowledge (which it partially can be now but that is a different thing that is fading), and thinking they know everything about the game. We already got a bunch of people who play for a couple of hours in T1 and think they know everything about the game, same thing in T2/3 and even more so once ppl hit fresh 40. You can see it all over the forums. I like the peoples gear reflecting their investment into the game.

I mean goodness gracious you can literally get full sovereign now without EVER entering city or fort or without ever even joining a guild or organized wb. It is pretty freakin casual right now, you just need to invest the time.

More serotonin investment, less instant gratification dopamine chase. I'd rather have a good player in vanq than a bad one in sov, and if we make it more casual then there will just be more bad players in sov.

In any case you are heavily rewarded for the time investment into RoR right now.

There is some rng variation but you can legit just grind out gear by being passive in a pug warband.

Tl:DR: You can literally get full sovereign now without EVER entering city or fort or without ever even joining a guild or organized wb. It is pretty freakin casual right now, you just need to invest the time. You can literally just grind out gear by being passive in a pug warband.

NSKaneda

Post#43 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:33 am

CountTalabecland wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:22 pm TLDR:
There is nothing positive about being sub-40 and it shouldn't be a long slow slog if renown rank is all that matters when staying below level 40 forces you to wear crappy gear while not having access to all abilities, tactics, and morales. It used to make sense when you were competing with same-ish level/geared enemy players and the game was divided into 4 tiers of content.

Now it doesn't, and with having to run in the same lakes against the best geared opponents the experience is not fun and the amount of time new players need to spend there should be faster easier per the OP so that new player attrition is hopefully decreased.
As someone who's suffering from severe altoholism I see a point in skipping long, hard grind on 15th+ character - SWTOR and a couple of other MMOs have a legacy system to take care of that. And I would be willing to agree that, say, the moment you unlock sovereign set on your second char you should have an option to roll a new 40/45 char with conq gear unlocked.
But this shouldn't come easy or fast because even now I see warlord/sovereign wearing people who don't know the basic skills or tactics - like Sponn observed it's fairly easy (not fast but fairly easy) to get end game gear without ever stepping foot in city siege or joining organized groups.

Long grind means long time to get to know your class, your skills and your role on a battlefield. It also means that there are people populating low tier scenarios, low tier PQs and lairs, that all the content (re)created is not in vain.
And believe you me - you can be competitive even without wearing sovereign. I've got chars in t1, mid tiers and in T4, from rr15 to rr80+ that can hold their own. Hell, my black ork is in full sentinel (no rr needed to get this set) and can stand in front line of a fort funnel...
You can level up 1-40 in a matter of days. You can get from rr1 to rr 65 in two weeks playing only for a couple of hours in prime time. You can get full invader in two-three weeks. How much faster should it be?

There's also the fact that most players chase pixel carrots and significant number of those will start getting bored shortly after receiving their last reward.
Last edited by NSKaneda on Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *

orillah
Suspended

Post#44 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:52 am

Spoiler:
Sponn wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:11 am
orillah wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:37 pm You are only competitive once you're close to bis gear.

I don't think it is mindless grinding. There is something to be said about earning something through strife or whatnot, even in an MMO. I think too many youngsters now adays and new players just want instant gratification. If you want to experience all the content casually in an MMO within an month then you can play WoW and Guild Wars 2. They do a great job of it personally. For RoR I like the slow burn. I like slowly learning my class and learning good habits for when you actually get geared which makes you even better.

I personally don't want people being handed gear, equivocating it with skill and knowledge (which it partially can be now but that is a different thing that is fading), and thinking they know everything about the game. We already got a bunch of people who play for a couple of hours in T1 and think they know everything about the game, same thing in T2/3 and even more so once ppl hit fresh 40. You can see it all over the forums. I like the peoples gear reflecting their investment into the game.

I mean goodness gracious you can literally get full sovereign now without EVER entering city or fort or without ever even joining a guild or organized wb. It is pretty freakin casual right now, you just need to invest the time.

More serotonin investment, less instant gratification dopamine chase. I'd rather have a good player in vanq than a bad one in sov, and if we make it more casual then there will just be more bad players in sov.

In any case you are heavily rewarded for the time investment into RoR right now.

There is some rng variation but you can legit just grind out gear by being passive in a pug warband.

Tl:DR: You can literally get full sovereign now without EVER entering city or fort or without ever even joining a guild or organized wb. It is pretty freakin casual right now, you just need to invest the time. You can literally just grind out gear by being passive in a pug warband.
Its not rocket science to learn classes. ALL of them are actually more gear than skill dependent. But lvling is actually not bad. At average it took me a week of relaxed gameplay to get 1 char from 0 to 40/50 without any help. And if there was a way to prolong it i would definitely use it. (And I use those 75% reduction scrolls ALOT). Bolster is a great thing as well. But after i climb to 40 its a massive drop in power.

it took me 4 months of mostly boring wbs/ forts(bluueeeh farming those 200 inv again by only 4 per fort) and occasionally indeed good city fights, to get SoV gear. All this time i was mostly trying to be in at least semi-organised wb. And after all this time i get bored with that one char.

If you are not feeling how massively weaker your char in conq/vanw compared to bis is - than you just have no experience, or dont exactly know your class well.
But overall this is a useless discussion of two opinions that never gonna find and adequate solution - you advocate that gear should represent one strength/knowledge and should only be acquired through time investment. I advocate that your actual ability to learn fast be adaptive and knowledgeable should mater far more than gear you're using.

Sponn
Suspended

Post#45 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:12 am

orillah wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:52 am
Spoiler:
Sponn wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:11 am

Its not rocket science to learn classes. ALL of them are actually more gear than skill dependent. But lvling is actually not bad. At average it took me a week of relaxed gameplay to get 1 char from 0 to 40/50 without any help. And if there was a way to prolong it i would definitely use it. (And I use those 75% reduction scrolls ALOT). Bolster is a great thing as well. But after i climb to 40 its a massive drop in power.

it took me 4 months of mostly boring wbs/ forts(bluueeeh farming those 200 inv again by only 4 per fort) and occasionally indeed good city fights, to get SoV gear. All this time i was mostly trying to be in at least semi-organised wb. And after all this time i get bored with that one char.

If you are not feeling how massively weaker your char in conq/vanw compared to bis is - than you just have no experience, or dont exactly know your class well.
But overall this is a useless discussion of two opinions that never gonna find and adequate solution - you advocate that gear should represent one strength/knowledge and should only be acquired through time investment. I advocate that your actual ability to learn fast be adaptive and knowledgeable should mater far more than gear you're using.
I mean I get where you are coming from. Personally I hate lvling from 1-40 cause I want all my tools in my toolkit. But I've seen posts on here about people wanting to stay in t1 and t2/3 forever with a 100% decrease in xp scroll so different strokes for different folks.

I wouldn't mind being able to trade up tokens 5:1 like how they are but all the way up to royals or invader or whatnot. But then there would probably be a post about how difficulty it is to gear still with everyone that is rr80 still hitting need on all the tokens in rvr with autoroll or what not or w/e.

I dunno. I just like the current system. Seems to be in a nice spot. Been playing on the server a year or so and the current implementation is a lot easier to gear than when you could only get invaders from Forts after you were rr70.

Fey

Post#46 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:41 am

Leveling in RoR is baby-town frolics. It's easy enough as it is.
Fley - Zealot Domoarigobbo - Shaman
Squid - Squig Squit - B.O.
Black Toof Clan

Dwarni

Post#47 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:46 am

I should have added a third option: "I don't care" ;)
Leveling in RoR is baby-town frolics. It's easy enough as it is.
It is not about leveling, leveling is very easy and quick, but about the process of getting the first tier set for level 40s. (Especially if you prefer doing SCs and not oRvR)

Onigokko0101

Post#48 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:36 am

I guess im in the minority here, barely.

Its not -that- hard to gear up as a fresh 40, but its going to feel like crap for new players. I am of the mind that easing that initial gearing spike (Conq to Vanq) would help newer players as they enter the game, and lets be honest we need new players.

I dont mind someone having an easier time with that initial hill, even though ive had to grind it out multiple times, because lets be honest- Vanq is normally the minimum level to even be competitive. Lets let people get that level decently easy.
Khrylashe - Zealot
Devarien - Blackguard
Bigdisc- Magus
Aendael - Warrior Priest
Nusku- Bright Wizard

Ads
Ysaran

Post#49 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:44 am

Onigokko0101 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:36 am I guess im in the minority here, barely.

Its not -that- hard to gear up as a fresh 40, but its going to feel like crap for new players. I am of the mind that easing that initial gearing spike (Conq to Vanq) would help newer players as they enter the game, and lets be honest we need new players.

I dont mind someone having an easier time with that initial hill, even though ive had to grind it out multiple times, because lets be honest- Vanq is normally the minimum level to even be competitive. Lets let people get that level decently easy.
I agree, but vanq price has been lower less than 6 month ago, and the number of vanq in the bag has been double recently (like on month ago? can't remember really). I think that the game is quite noob friendly compared to the shitshow that live was, also considering how eaasy is to get PvE gear
Zputadenti

Sponn
Suspended

Post#50 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:55 am

Ysaran wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:44 am
Onigokko0101 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:36 am I guess im in the minority here, barely.

I agree, but vanq price has been lower less than 6 month ago, and the number of vanq in the bag has been double recently (like on month ago? can't remember really). I think that the game is quite noob friendly compared to the shitshow that live was, also considering how eaasy is to get PvE gear
I agree doubly