Recent Topics

Ads

Nerfed Buttons

Let's talk about... everything else
Omegus

Re: Nerfed Buttons

Post#11 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:59 pm

mynban wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:10 pm Thing with NB removal is that, there was a commonly accessible version of NB to everyone and they blocked that one.

There is absolutely nothing stopping people from coding a slightly different version of it that is not blocked by skill assignment to skillbars.

In other words, it is only inaccessible to masses, but still available to people in the right circles.
Pretty much every way of modifying skills in combat was blocked, some client side, some server side. There could still be some unknown flaws of how to "legitimately" by-pass it client side (which would need fixing once known), or there could be some extra assistance involved here (which would likely get the hammer swung at them).
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Ads
mynban

Post#12 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:11 am

Omegus wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:59 pm
mynban wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:10 pm Thing with NB removal is that, there was a commonly accessible version of NB to everyone and they blocked that one.

There is absolutely nothing stopping people from coding a slightly different version of it that is not blocked by skill assignment to skillbars.

In other words, it is only inaccessible to masses, but still available to people in the right circles.
Pretty much every way of modifying skills in combat was blocked, some client side, some server side. There could still be some unknown flaws of how to "legitimately" by-pass it client side (which would need fixing once known), or there could be some extra assistance involved here (which would likely get the hammer swung at them).
Not really. Aura addon still works. Meaning there is absolutely nothing blocking conditional checks on client side, none whatsoever. And PlanB variations work, meaning there is nothing preventing skillbarswap. Just combining those you can already code a new addon that performs similar to NB.

I am not even gonna go into making an addon that gets its input from aura type conditional checks, and generates a different output that is attached to a different hotkey.

And all that is if you want to do shady stuff. Just having an expensive gaming mouse/keyboard with inbuilt macros and side 12button setup, you can already play with a major MAJOR advantage over someone with regular mouse/keyboard. And that stuff is legal lol.

Old schools MMOs have a very bad UI/input design. If that werent the case those razor naga style devices would have never been designed and sold in the first place. There is a reason industry moved away form shitty input designs like that. NB was a tool that was bringing this relic to a modern user experience for most people, and a cheating tool for select few. Those who relied on it as quality of life improvement either face frustration at bad controls now or they left. And those who were cheating with NB are cheating with other stuff now.

So question is; what was gained through all that?

Omegus

Post#13 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:30 am

mynban wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:11 amNot really. Aura addon still works. Meaning there is absolutely nothing blocking conditional checks on client side, none whatsoever. And PlanB variations work, meaning there is nothing preventing skillbarswap. Just combining those you can already code a new addon that performs similar to NB.
The blocks aren't based on blocking "conditional checks". "Conditional checks" work by basicall just getting the list of buffs/debuffs on yourself and your targets and looking at their names / unique IDs. This exact same list is used to actually display the buffs/debuffs on screen too. If you blocked the ability to obtain this list then a huge chunk of the combat UI would no longer work.
I am not even gonna go into making an addon that gets its input from aura type conditional checks, and generates a different output that is attached to a different hotkey.
It's the second part - changing which abilities are bound to hotbars and keyboard shortcuts - that is blocked, and any known workarounds should be reported. Also, part of the blocks still allow PlanB to work in a limited fashion (some of the weirder combinations of action bars and ability pages no longer work). PlanB and other classes which have built-in stance that change entire action bar pages still work; this was taken into account with the blocking checks (after some extra bug fixes).

Pretty much any function provided by the client to the addon system was hardened to changing abilities during combat, regardless of how/why those abilities are being changed. There could still be some bugs with the checks; I know of one which can let you disable a skill, but not replace it (I still need to put this on the tracker at some point).

And yes, making a priority list and triggering it using a macro keyboard/mouse is still an issue.
mynban wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:11 amAnd those who were cheating with NB are cheating with other stuff now.
NB was never classified as cheating until the recent blocks. Unpopular? Yes. But allowed, thus not cheating.

abezverkhiy

Post#14 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:37 am

mynban wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:11 am So question is; what was gained through all that?
Ego satisfaction no doubt. Still an idiotic move.

Sequencer is finally usable so we can make short chains of skills. Useful on IB, saved me a couple of buttons on my WH as well.
KingSchultz WH, Valknutt WP, Glendhu ENG, Lochdhu IB, Tamdhu SL

My WH guide: viewtopic.php?t=46354

mynban

Post#15 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:20 am

abezverkhiy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:37 am
mynban wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:11 am So question is; what was gained through all that?
Ego satisfaction no doubt. Still an idiotic move.

Sequencer is finally usable so we can make short chains of skills. Useful on IB, saved me a couple of buttons on my WH as well.
Sequencer still is problematic for not skipping greyed out skills (which generic keyboard/mouse macros do), but still better than nothing I agree. But simply fact that mouse macros perform better than it is silly. Another problem with sequencer is that it wont move to next skill the moment you use previous, it will wait for server confirmation that sequencer for that skill is now moved to next one. In other words, the moment game gets laggy sequencer delays actions by full ping.

I stopped using it altogether in forts, it simply causes you to lose GCD, plain and simple. Probably situation even worse the further you are away from servers. Sequencer should at least have a client side storage for which skill is next in line and the moment you give a new input, just send the input that next skill in sequence is called; instead of waiting for server to tell client what that next skill is.

That alone makes sequencer bad enough for me.
Omegus wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:30 am
Spoiler:
mynban wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:11 amNot really. Aura addon still works. Meaning there is absolutely nothing blocking conditional checks on client side, none whatsoever. And PlanB variations work, meaning there is nothing preventing skillbarswap. Just combining those you can already code a new addon that performs similar to NB.
The blocks aren't based on blocking "conditional checks". "Conditional checks" work by basicall just getting the list of buffs/debuffs on yourself and your targets and looking at their names / unique IDs. This exact same list is used to actually display the buffs/debuffs on screen too. If you blocked the ability to obtain this list then a huge chunk of the combat UI would no longer work.
It's the second part - changing which abilities are bound to hotbars and keyboard shortcuts - that is blocked, and any known workarounds should be reported. Also, part of the blocks still allow PlanB to work in a limited fashion (some of the weirder combinations of action bars and ability pages no longer work). PlanB and other classes which have built-in stance that change entire action bar pages still work; this was taken into account with the blocking checks (after some extra bug fixes).

Pretty much any function provided by the client to the addon system was hardened to changing abilities during combat, regardless of how/why those abilities are being changed. There could still be some bugs with the checks; I know of one which can let you disable a skill, but not replace it (I still need to put this on the tracker at some point).

And yes, making a priority list and triggering it using a macro keyboard/mouse is still an issue.
mynban wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:11 amAnd those who were cheating with NB are cheating with other stuff now.
NB was never classified as cheating until the recent blocks. Unpopular? Yes. But allowed, thus not cheating.
I know block is not based on conditionals, I was just explaining why block only stops old NB, and that there is nothing preventing people writing a new addon that is not effected by 'assign skills to specific skill bar slot block'.

Omegus

Post#16 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:05 am

mynban wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:20 amI know block is not based on conditionals, I was just explaining why block only stops old NB, and that there is nothing preventing people writing a new addon that is not effected by 'assign skills to specific skill bar slot block'.
There are very limited ways the addon system has to set/activate abilities, and in theory they were all in theory blocked/hardened. I say in theory, as I just found a big hole in the blocking code...

abezverkhiy

Post#17 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:29 am

Btw can anyone see the name of the character using NB in game?
KingSchultz WH, Valknutt WP, Glendhu ENG, Lochdhu IB, Tamdhu SL

My WH guide: viewtopic.php?t=46354

GrishnakBlagtoof

Post#18 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:10 am

Talladego wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:48 pm
GrishnakBlagtoof wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:22 pm What I wanna know is where he got that ICEHUD looking addon!!!
Think it's xHUD
It is! So thank you for the help!
WAAAGH!!!
Grishnak Blagtoof
<The Blagtoof WarTribe>
Est. 1996

Ads
wiscel

Post#19 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:59 am

abezverkhiy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:29 am Btw can anyone see the name of the character using NB in game?
It says Taladega
Nasty - R8X Squig Herder
Mehlindy - R8X Witch Elf
Donavicenta - R8X Sorceress

Caduceus

Post#20 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:13 pm

About 90% sure there is still NB in game, or something similar to it. The rate at which key abilities get interrupted within 0.1 second of me casting them is too high for it to be coincidence.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz