Recent Topics

Ads

New player and low level experience

Let's talk about... everything else
Frankie

Re: New player and low level experience

Post#11 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:21 pm

I read through the whole topic to check if anyone gave you an uppity response, but frankly, you seem to be the only one being edgy. Every answer came straight without sugarcoating. They are not the answers you wanted, but the answers you needed as the saying goes. There is a lot going on to improve the game, but those improvements are not related to your problem.

Here's the unofficial game manual by Uchoo, you should chew into it. It also contains basic builds which is probably quite helpful for your group.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KyC ... dy96m9hxve

You should also take on Rotgut's offer! There aren't that much addons which are necessary, and they are quite useful.
Moirran, Zealot RR40+
Albin, Blackguard <40

Ferenz, Witch Hunter RR40+
Gottlob, Warrior Priest <40

Ads
yobogoya

Post#12 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:38 pm

There's also next to zero in regards to low level content. There is no dungeon progression throughout the Character Ranks (levels 1-40). You get Tier 1, where no good RvR fights happen outside of Nordland...the other 2 zones are just box running with ganking. Characters so weak in Tier 1, many can barely take on same level mobs in a 1v1 due to the fact that there are gear slots which are criminally under populated in the early levels (shoulders, helm, cloak; and aside from buying 4 garbage wounds jewels from a vendor at 7/7, 8/8, or 9/9, there aren't many options there outside of the occasional chapter influence reward).

And what is your reward for all of that? Sewers/Sacellum to get keeper gear, then plunge into the deepend with Tier 4 RvR where you will remain for the rest of your RoR life.

There are no good ways of leveling/gearing up. There are no dungeons between level 16 (Sew/Sac) and level 40 (Gunbad). The devs are so concerned with stopping power leveling, even an alt-a-holic like me dreads making new characters.

Loctar

Post#13 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:08 pm

As a new player (+ very little MMORPG experience), I don't find the experience that bad. Learning the mechanics is not hard, but yes you have to read.
I know this is not a thing in new games, but that was the case in 2000's.

After level 16, you can get PVP sets, or RVR sets. (search the gear up guide on the forum)
It is very easy to level up and gear up until 40/40.
With a guild, you can play only RvR + SC, the game is made for that.

Maybe a rework of the wiki, and the forum post, with updated guide could be a thing, but it requires a lot of time, I don't think the ROR team want to spend a lot of time for that, and players neither

Shima

Post#14 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:54 pm

Slaegan13 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:28 am Hard to bring friends into this game with the horrible balance of things in the lower ranks of the game. New player experience is very bad especially in SC's. I'm sure this has been said many times is anything being done about it?

Healers don't die without many players attacking them.
you can be knocked back and knocked down in sequence.
some classes can heal and dps better then a straight dps class can???????
I don't have numbers to back this but I would def. say order feels way stronger healing and dmg wise.
the gearing system unless you have played before is not intuitive unless you read everything which no new player does.
understanding the renown/mastery/oRVR has most new players lost in the sauce.

This is all from my friends who don't have rr80+ characters.

I have to constantly remind myself and friends that 1-39.99 is the trade for the good times after you hit 40. Super rough new player/beginner experience.
T1 is hell! And to be honest, nothing wll change much on mit-tier. You only feel in similar power when you get full sovereign, wich takes months to complete. My suggestion for you and you friends, if you want to reach the endgame, is to keep your expecatations low while you learn to play it, because the frustration is huge and mostly people leave it before hit 40. And now, that dungeons aren't that good, and you will have to face a harder challenge than any dungeon, that is to find a group for it, I'd say the server is living the worst moment of its history for having a low level char.

Slaegan13

Post#15 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:15 pm

None of this is my impression this is what friends I'm trying to bring to the game are saying.

Scottx125

Post#16 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:48 am

Slaegan13 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:10 pm So the response I got was "here is how it is" essentially, which I'm fully aware of as I stated. The question was are they trying to change how bad it is. A novel on how bad it is was not necessary.
If most of the players on this forum are stating this or that sucks (most the time from the destruction side) I would say maybe that warrants an investigation not an explanation or an excuse to make it sound like "well this is how it is"
People want to see this game succeed and love the game, if it cannot bring in new players without them being "mentored" its going to continue to struggle and hemorrhage the new players who have a "skill issue" as it was put, which would be obvious as they are learning the game.
I watched a Twitch streamer get to rank 24 before he even knew there was an armory tab in the Tomb for instance. I explained a lot to him about many aspects of this game he had no idea. Imagine how many have gone so long without knowing. That is not good.

The forum seems it is also not helpful. Ask a question and you get a "get gud kid" response.

I'm not sure I will pass that on to the new guys wanting to play. Think of how ridiculous this will sound to a new player that knows nothing about this game at all.

1. Get in to a top guild asap
2. Get new guild to "mentor" you.
3. Setup addons for endgame setup at low lvl
4. Don't go to forum for questions/answers or you'll get elitist response "get gud" in denial of bad game tuning/mechanics/interface.

Help me understand why everyone says they "love" this game but don't push for improvement in it?
1. Doesn't have to be a top guild, there are loads of friendly active guilds that run weekly events and accept new players.
2. You don't, but most guilds will offer advice freely. And if you're refusing the mentoring part for whatever reason and then struggle to play, well you've only got yourself to blame at that point.
3. Addons are not only setup for 'Endgame'. They are important for PVP in general. And considering PVP is part of the game from level 1 to 'Endgame'. It's important to sort it out asap. There are plenty of addon guides and recommendations, hell there are even pre-made UI packs. If you ask nicely your guild might even run their own guild UI/addon pack.
4. Nobody is denying the starting situation isn't great. But there are only a handful of developers working on this game and they don't have the development tools the original live devs had nor the source code. So they're limited in what they can do. I agree essential addons should be provided as part of the client on download with perhaps a basic setup. And people do love this game, however they love it not for the starting experience. But for the PvP. And while it's a moderate barrier to entry once you're in you're hooked. And the community as a whole doesn't care all that much about the new-player experience because we don't really get new players. Most people here are those from live, that joined and have stayed over several years or come and go every year or so. And the one thing they want improved right now is balance, the SC matchmaker and the RvR campaign.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

Lion1986

Post#17 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:03 am

My recomendation for t1 is simple:
Get a buddy and farm pq for pve gear. Rush 16 asap and then start grind gear for orvr. T1 pvp is pain and made a lot of newcomers quit.

Nameless

Post#18 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:16 pm

T1 and t2 scens are good if you are not new. If you know what are you doing you could enter god mode which is unreachable for bis sov geared char. Which is problem for newcomers cos they play vs such individuals
Mostly harmless

K8P & Norn - guild Orz

Ads
Hugatsaga

Post#19 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:36 pm

Slaegan13 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:28 am Hard to bring friends into this game with the horrible balance of things in the lower ranks of the game. New player experience is very bad especially in SC's. I'm sure this has been said many times is anything being done about it?

Healers don't die without many players attacking them.
you can be knocked back and knocked down in sequence.
some classes can heal and dps better then a straight dps class can???????
I don't have numbers to back this but I would def. say order feels way stronger healing and dmg wise.
the gearing system unless you have played before is not intuitive unless you read everything which no new player does.
understanding the renown/mastery/oRVR has most new players lost in the sauce.

This is all from my friends who don't have rr80+ characters.

I have to constantly remind myself and friends that 1-39.99 is the trade for the good times after you hit 40. Super rough new player/beginner experience.
You are playing against people who have played this game 10+ years and some know the game inside out. Same problem with any old mmo. Only way to get over it is to get used to losing and improving. Once you get to know your class and classes you play with and against and game mechanics, most of these problems go away and those that don't, you can play around. Like others have said, getting into decent guild and either being mentored by someone or just playing with guild to see how they play makes it lot easier and faster.

1) You can kill healer on most dps if you are high enough level, are specced right, have enough time and have your key abilities online. Unless healer is better geared/higher level/better player than you. If you are new player, you don't really know what enemy class does so you can't really outplay them yet but that is probably true in pvp every game.

2) There is 2 types of cc immunity but CC is mild in this game compared to many other mmo's (WoW for instance).

3) There is differences between factions so theres advantages one way or the another but 90% of the difference comes down who has better setup and better players.

4) If you want the easy route you can do this: Pvp vendors are next to each other in capital cities in logical order so just go through them and see what you can equip at any given time and check if you can get upgrades every few levels.

5) As for speccing rr and mastery, read guides from forums or ask in /advice chat in game.

Tldr: get good. For real. It's the only way.
Live: Daeneria, Polestar
RoR: Calmdown, Goldman, Kohta, Madguard, Magnumforce, Northsorc, Northstar etc
Youtube

Stinkyweed

Post#20 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:25 pm

Playing through mid-tier SCs over the past week with a WL, I see how this game can be difficult for new players. In reality though, it's absolutely no different than T4 SCs with the exception of less pre-mades while queuing for all.
Stinkyweed SH.86
Prowl WE.85
Blob Chop.82
Babaganoush Sham.7x
Negative Creep Z.5x
Motley Crue WH.5x
Scratch WL.3x

Don't fall asleep...don't fall asleep...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP7uxesyQWo