Recent Topics

Ads

Your New Filter

Let's talk about... everything else
rejndjer
Suspended

Re: Your New Filter

Post#31 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:27 am

Stahn123 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:46 pm If you can participate in all that but you're offended by a few words you can ignore, the problem might be the way you see the things you dislike and your inability to cope with thoughts that aren't echoed by your own.
+9000

Ads
nebelwerfer

Post#32 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:59 am

With the new filter installed we can maybe give xrealm chat another go!

Sulorie

Post#33 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:08 am

nebelwerfer wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:59 am With the new filter installed we can maybe give xrealm chat another go!
Yeah, then we can directly congratulate our enemies for hitting rr80+ without using /3 channel and getting called spy. :lol:
Dying is no option.

Whyumadbro

Post#34 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:40 am

Just dont write that kind of stuff and the filter will not tick. Easy right? Go shittalk on Discord and the filter will bother you :)

Minisynn

Post#35 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:42 am

Most of us have just stopped using public chats in their entirety to play it safe, it is what it is. Forced swear filters still piss me off more than anything because they make things look far worse contextually - for example all 4 letter swear words which can have varying degrees of severity look the same when they're ****, and it has a tendency to make your messages look far more negative or inflammitory than they are as a result. I also think it's needlessly babying when there's already a swear filter in game, but the team don't agree so there's not much to be done about it.

So the best solution if you struggle to filter yourself is really to keep all of your conversations outside of the game where possible (i.e. when they don't relate to the content you're doing), which isn't exactly great for the social aspect of a MMO - but tbh most conversations aren't worth getting involved in when it comes to RoR public chats anyway
Engineer enjoyer | Finnbarr/Fionnbharr | Finnmarr/Fionnbharra | Nightmare | Youtube

Stahn123
Banned

Post#36 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:13 am

Detangler wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:27 pm
Stahn123 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:42 pm
Sulorie wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:54 pm
See it this way, the filter prevents you from being banned. ;)
You have a point if we had realistic graphics and gore but this game isn't aiming at an adult audience.
Read your quest log and npc comments. If you think that's true, you aren't paying attention to half the game and missing out on some big tidbits. :mrgreen: IC literally has a quest where you kill a prisoner, boil the flesh off their skull, and mount it on a pike next to the npc giving the quest and you can do it at a low level. Don't believe me? hit about level 15 and head to the narrow land strip north of the pyramid where you do your skills, the chosen is standing next to a pot.
1. "Freedom of Expression" is not something inherent in all countries. This game isn't even hosted in the U.S.
2. "Freedom of Expression" means the -**government**- cannot restrict or legally sanction you for saying something they don't like. RoR is not the government. Private entities can do what they want. Its why people get fired from their jobs for saying stupid racist/homophobic/crass stuff on social media all the time. Their employer can fire you for that if the laws allow it.

Stop confusing private entities and the government like we're living in 1984 world. There is no secret elites controlling your every thought and action here with severe repercussions.
1. It may not be inherent in all countries, but that doesn't mean I have to accept it. I am aware it isn't in the U.S. Sadly, the world is becoming more and more full of sissies who can't handle a few words they disagree with, let alone insults. Full of people who have no spine, unlike their forebears who had to fight for what is now taken for granted and cried about. There is a reason almost every nation in Europe has crime rates through the roof now vs a few decades ago, and it's because they've grown soft and refuse to actually address the problems plaguing them because they are afraid to be called names. Those that will call you those names, don't care, they just know YOU DO, and so they use it against you to get what they want from you while making you foot the bill while they continue to dismantle your nations. Gotta quit being afraid of being called words. Most people 40+ learned this back in kindergarten.

2. Nobody is asking anyone to say anything. It's being asked to allow people to choose what they see and what they do not. Not punish those that violate their rules. There's a difference. There was already a way to prevent that from being seen if you are too soft to handle it. Forcing it on others who aren't bothered by someone having a point of view, real or imagined, isn't anyone else's business. It's not up to other's to tell me what I can and can't see, that's like saying you get to tell me what kind of music I can listen too because you approve of it, even if I don't. I don't need nor want your or anyone elses approval of what I see. I don't care. That's MY decision to turn on the filter or not, that's why it's a toggle in the options. If it bothers you, turn it on. I'm not afraid of words hurting my feewings like some people are. I grew up a mile from Compton, one of the only white kids in the area, I wore glasses, and I had blonde hair and green eyes. I was a glowing target for BS. I've been in more scraps than most people outside of pro athletes. The LAST thing that's going to bother me, is a few words or insults. Hell, I usually laugh along with the person insulting me if it's witty.

This game has no obligation to cater to such weak minded people, especially when it has quests you do involving boiling the flesh off of skulls and mounting them on pikes. Perhaps if you can't handle a few insults or "mean words" you are playing the wrong game and should seek out another that is less adult in nature as this one is not meant for you. If vivid text is all it takes to bother you, never read quest text, especially on Destro side. Some of the things they want you to do and why is going to be MUCH worse than whatever someone said in chat. Which is the point I've been trying to make all along. If the game itself is gruesome, then the chat itself would be EXPECTED to be at least somewhat as offensive. You really think that in wars like you are fighting in this game that the things said by each side are going to be clean and nice? The 1984 reference was to make a point. It obviously went over your head, but at least you got the reference so it wasn't a total loss. The GMs here ARE a form of government though (within the game), and they DO try to control your thoughts by limiting what you can/can't say, what actions you can/can't take, and there ARE severe repercussions. If you think otherwise, you obviously haven't had a conversation with Wargrim where he disagrees with you. :lol:

Stahn123
Banned

Post#37 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:22 am

Minisynn wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:42 am Most of us have just stopped using public chats in their entirety to play it safe, it is what it is. Forced swear filters still piss me off more than anything because they make things look far worse contextually - for example all 4 letter swear words which can have varying degrees of severity look the same when they're ****, and it has a tendency to make your messages look far more negative or inflammitory than they are as a result. I also think it's needlessly babying when there's already a swear filter in game, but the team don't agree so there's not much to be done about it.

So the best solution if you struggle to filter yourself is really to keep all of your conversations outside of the game where possible (i.e. when they don't relate to the content you're doing), which isn't exactly great for the social aspect of a MMO - but tbh most conversations aren't worth getting involved in when it comes to RoR public chats anyway
And this right here shouldn't be happening in an MMO. It's a break down of the actual purpose of what an MMO is supposed to be. People need to stop being offended by EVERYTHING and just grow up and realize that life is offensive at times, and so are people for their own reasons. You can ignore them, you can ban their IP, or you can listen to them. Stopping all people from being able to chat with a system that automatically flags you, and you don't know which words it's even looking for before it does, is basically just playing Russian roulette. It's a bad idea. It's going to end up getting worse, because NOTHING ever reduces in severity or strictness in this world, it only tightens and gets worse as people themselves get worse from a lack of morale character that can only be built through trials and victories that are being denied by the very systems put in place. Thus they will grow worse as blame is shifted away from the perpetrator and instead applied to everyone else in an attempt to prevent another person from doing it. Rules never loosen, they only tighten until they're so tight nobody can live under them and they abandon ship entirely. Happens all the time in slow incremental doses until you wake up and you see that you can't do anything once you are frustrated about something because saying anything or taking any action, regardless of how warranted, will result in punishment more severe than the action calls for. Luckily, you can leave a game when that happens. It's killed more than 1, and it'll kill more still. Not a question of if, simply a question of when.

Cyrylius

Post#38 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:44 am

The "suspended" tag is pretty funny to see on your account, not gonna lie.
RoR doesnt deserve being taken seriously.

Ads
Ninjagon

Post#39 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:01 am

1. I do not like this filter. Most of the players here are adult people, though.

2. The filter censors only supported languages, so you can go mad with "klingon" all the time.
Ninjab - The White Lion. No Destruction character. RETRIBUTION guild.
Also: Velmires - WP, Carnow - KotbS, Ninjagon - BW, Nynja - SW, Stin - WH, and others.
Spoiler:

Bavradai

Post#40 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:22 am

The filter censors in game items like sturdy slags.