Recent Topics

Ads

Replica jewels.... Clarification please.

Let's talk about... everything else
TanithScout

Re: Replica jewels.... Clarification please.

Post#31 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:37 pm

Ofcourse it won't be removed. Those in the know will just lock their gear being views and keep it. Meanwhile itll be unable to be purchased IF it was even followed through on.

Meanwhile meanwhile, people are hoarding for no reason keeping themselves weak intentionally to be farmed. Go figure, its RoR. State of gear disparity is wild, never seen anything like it.
Qonrad, the knave of Nagarythe, Ghost of the Garior.

Imperial, Myrmidia's Chosen

Live: Karak Azgal Guild: They Took Our Jobs (Explicit Content) Char: Neomir/HCTBoom/Jinnz

Ads
SuperStar

Post#32 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:44 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:02 pm
SuperStar wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:16 am
wargrimnir wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:12 am Dev was salty they were exclusive to ranked and set them to 9999 non-ranked to force them into the non-ranked realm of availability, then quit the team shortly after so they never moved again.

They're essentially a ranked reward. If you want them, get people to play ranked and earn the ranked currency. Or we might end up discontinuing ranked for lack of interest and retire all the rewards.
I suggest retire all the other SC expect ranked.
Be only Ranked SC!

This is the Way!

At weekend no more event SC only Ranked, or ranked should be the new weekend SC.

(You have to do more and better balance patch and bugfix imo)
The gradual decline of the game mode has made it apparent that people are really only interested in getting BIS gear and the game mode itself is not fun or desirable enough to maintain a population level to support it. We have discussed making everything "ranked", but even the concept of ranking players from scen to scen was reviled by a large portion of the casual playerbase. For some reason no one wants to know their MMR is sub-500 when they go on a 12 game losing streak. It's not a crazy surprise or anything, but for the amount of work and polish that was put into making ranked a worthy addition to the game, not having traction is certainly a disappointment.

Also, as I apparently wasn't clear, we typically don't remove gear outright. All I intended to convey was if ranked were removed, the ability to earn the gear would likely go with it. The 10k cost being added didn't make a lot of sense except to twist the dagger in the back of the ranked mode to make sure it would eventually die. I would advise anyone able to purchase it to do so if they're solely interested in the stats. My advice for ranked was to not have statted gear at all as we would inevitably hear this concern from players that they feel "forced" and "punished" into playing ranked, without understanding what words mean it sounds pretty bad. Mandatory ranked matches on login until you win at least one before you can play the game would be an example of "forced" and losing your gear outright for not maintaining an MMR level would be a good example of "punished". Not playing the mode and not getting the gear intended for the mode is neither of these things.

A naturally contentious and heated topic as always. +50 MMR for everyone involved.
I loved the ranked and if you delete it I will be sad.
Imo if only Ranked SC will be available ppl will love it. I had a full group of motivated player against a full group motivated players without I had to do anything. It was fun and good. But ppl will go against the lower resistance imo. If we wait many bis and some balance/bug fix patch ppl will play ranked SC imo coz it's one of the true endgame imo.

SuperStar

Post#33 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:46 pm

Xergon wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:27 pm
SuperStar wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:21 pm
inoeth wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:21 pm

disaggree.
ppl always want old things back for nostalgia, but that wears off very soon and then the game is getting boring. MMOs live from new content and if the devs feel like they want to do something new what fits their urge for creating content then they should do it. for example the dwarf/greenskin cities are completely new and i bet the guys who created it had alot of fun doing so.

some years ago i played on a well known daoc freeshard and the devs created a unique addon called tajendi where they squeezed out everything that was possible with the engine and i totally loved it!
however the usual nostalgia guys spoiled it.

@devs keep on the good work!
We can agree to disagree.

If I have to choose between dwarf capital vs tovl I choose tovl everytime, and I think most of the original players base too.
Also I think most of us here coz nostalgia and because it's a Warhammer game. Wee are not here for the new things/balance imo.

Also I think we cannot compare professional game creator's balance vs for free for fun guys with big fluctuation and without a common vision imo.

It's cool if the dev enjoy to creat something but I think more important to the players base enjoy it.

If u trying to say that Mythic did PROFESIONAL work on developing Warhammer Online then please stop... Game visually only holds professional standards but everything rest was never finished and rushed, balance on live was questionable, RvR was unplayable with the big numbers... so on... so on...
Plz do not compare the realese state of the game with what we have now.
Compare when they shot down the live server vs what we have now.

Sulorie

Post#34 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:50 pm

SuperStar wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:46 pm

Plz do not compare the realese state of the game with what we have now.
Compare when they shot down the live server vs what we have now.
Yes, live balance of version 1.4.8 was worse than we have now.
Dying is no option.

dwyur

Post#35 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:51 pm

I think more people would queue for ranked if the way MMR was calculated was tweaked; having people lose a lot of MMR after losing a match, or even drawing against a low MMR team, only facilitates the constantly mentioned "toxic" aspects of players who get pissed when losing MMR due to lesser geared/badly played teammate.

I don't see any problem with the way the ranked gear is currently implemented, yet people are still complaining. 9999 crests just made it easier for people already BiS for awhile to instantly buy the ring though.
You could find someone whining about even the most agreed upon aspect of the game. Removing the ability to ever attain the items would be the worst route to go in my opinion and would only cause more complaining. As Bombling mentioned removing a set that was attainable, not just event sort of items (would should be unique anyways) would be something that hasn't happened previously.

Having 6v6 / 12v12 team events once a month or something of that nature, can utilize the work that went into creating ranked.
Dirkfunk - 82 Runepriest
Dwyur - 81 Sorc | Deloused - 70 DoK | Durtknap- 64 Choppa

TanithScout

Post#36 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:11 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:02 pm
SuperStar wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:16 am
wargrimnir wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:12 am Dev was salty they were exclusive to ranked and set them to 9999 non-ranked to force them into the non-ranked realm of availability, then quit the team shortly after so they never moved again.

They're essentially a ranked reward. If you want them, get people to play ranked and earn the ranked currency. Or we might end up discontinuing ranked for lack of interest and retire all the rewards.
I suggest retire all the other SC expect ranked.
Be only Ranked SC!

This is the Way!

At weekend no more event SC only Ranked, or ranked should be the new weekend SC.

(You have to do more and better balance patch and bugfix imo)
The gradual decline of the game mode has made it apparent that people are really only interested in getting BIS gear and the game mode itself is not fun or desirable enough to maintain a population level to support it. We have discussed making everything "ranked", but even the concept of ranking players from scen to scen was reviled by a large portion of the casual playerbase. For some reason no one wants to know their MMR is sub-500 when they go on a 12 game losing streak. It's not a crazy surprise or anything, but for the amount of work and polish that was put into making ranked a worthy addition to the game, not having traction is certainly a disappointment.

Also, as I apparently wasn't clear, we typically don't remove gear outright. All I intended to convey was if ranked were removed, the ability to earn the gear would likely go with it. The 10k cost being added didn't make a lot of sense except to twist the dagger in the back of the ranked mode to make sure it would eventually die. I would advise anyone able to purchase it to do so if they're solely interested in the stats. My advice for ranked was to not have statted gear at all as we would inevitably hear this concern from players that they feel "forced" and "punished" into playing ranked, without understanding what words mean it sounds pretty bad. Mandatory ranked matches on login until you win at least one before you can play the game would be an example of "forced" and losing your gear outright for not maintaining an MMR level would be a good example of "punished". Not playing the mode and not getting the gear intended for the mode is neither of these things.

A naturally contentious and heated topic as always. +50 MMR for everyone involved.
Wow, best line ever.

Square key, round hole. I implore whoever the devs in question are to keep going, maybe it'll fit next year if you push it in hard enough. Maybe add a new set equivalent to TOVL/LOTD gear to get people hooked on the spirit of RoR'S version of competition. Maybe you'll get your vision come true then and everyone who plays RoR for RvR will magicly decide they are actually interested in 6v6, because the devs in question told them so. No idea why they even want to RvR anyway, peasants.

Regarding the balance thats popping up. Live was terribad right at the start with RoF then OYK issues then at the 'end' when TOVL gear **** it up insanely. Insane because everyone knows it was a Custers Last Stand move to keep people playing. Between those times imo it was just the same as any other game with its ups and downs but nothing major or drastic GENERALLY SPEAKING. As quoted above though, balance is subjective. Especially when you try to force an entire game mode down peoples throats detracting from the very reason people are here in the first place.
Qonrad, the knave of Nagarythe, Ghost of the Garior.

Imperial, Myrmidia's Chosen

Live: Karak Azgal Guild: They Took Our Jobs (Explicit Content) Char: Neomir/HCTBoom/Jinnz

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#37 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:44 pm

TanithScout wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:11 pm Wow, best line ever.

Square key, round hole. I implore whoever the devs in question are to keep going, maybe it'll fit next year if you push it in hard enough. Maybe add a new set equivalent to TOVL/LOTD gear to get people hooked on the spirit of RoR'S version of competition. Maybe you'll get your vision come true then and everyone who plays RoR for RvR will magicly decide they are actually interested in 6v6, because the devs in question told them so. No idea why they even want to RvR anyway, peasants.

Regarding the balance thats popping up. Live was terribad right at the start with RoF then OYK issues then at the 'end' when TOVL gear **** it up insanely. Insane because everyone knows it was a Custers Last Stand move to keep people playing. Between those times imo it was just the same as any other game with its ups and downs but nothing major or drastic GENERALLY SPEAKING. As quoted above though, balance is subjective. Especially when you try to force an entire game mode down peoples throats detracting from the very reason people are here in the first place.
To be clear, I don't think it's impossible to have a ranked mode active and played by more people. Here's some ideas that I've floated in the past

- Reduce the frequency of MMR updates to weekly rather than immediately following every match. The anxiety of MMR going up and down was very clear within the first few weeks of the system going live.
- Limit the window that Ranked is available to condense the largest number of players into a small number of matches. More availability of players means better MMR matchmaking.
- Limit rewards to consumables and cosmetics/mounts which last the entire next season. We know historically that gating gear behind limited content is bad (see people who dislike dungeons/forts/cities)
- Cloaks are relatively simple to design, so make an option for top teams from each realm to have a custom designed cloak as a reward. Their artwork, our approval.
- Create a proper arena map explicitly for ranked. Very flat, perfectly symmetrical, limited obstructions. The LOTD arena would have been great for this, still could be.
- Hard-set your stats to be equalized during ranked matches. This does go against a lot of our old school MMO design tenets (gear is power, consumables for gold), and would only really fit in a ranked mode. But would alleviate the BIS gear stomping issue and make skill almost the explicit factor in winning.

Plenty of community members have had ideas as well, and as one might expect, the ideas from existing players of ranked were taken into highest consideration as the existing base was more important than players that might not play a ranked mode at all. Either way, Dalen is rather busy working on the ability system framework, and we've got a load of new players that probably have ranked way down on their priority list of things to get tweaked/adjusted. I wouldn't expect any real movement on it in the near future.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Hugatsaga

Post#38 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:42 pm

Ranked was a nice try and pretty well done all things considered. Not sure if I liked the official discord because that totally changed the nature of ranked and went essentially from "solo ranked" into "team ranked with random teammates" but both had their pros and cons.

I played both versions time to time when rl allowed and had usually fun. Probably in the end of the day there just wasn't enough players for it. Low player count means long queues and low pop rate and eventually people decide they want to use their time better than waiting in queue. Also meeting same faces all the time gets old. There's probably only single digit % of players who enjoy that kind of content in the first place so the whole player pool needs to be of certain size to have enough ranked enjoyers for it to work. It works out with WoW's population but apparently not in here (also helps that teams there are only 3vs3 or 2vs2). Nice try tho.

About ranked replica ring:
wargrimnir wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:02 pm Also, as I apparently wasn't clear, we typically don't remove gear outright. All I intended to convey was if ranked were removed, the ability to earn the gear would likely go with it.
Am I understanding this correctly: eventually new players or alts won't be having a chance of getting the ring in future with alternative ways (such as paying 9999 warcrests) and it will be left as only be some sort of "veteran player privilege"?
Live: Daeneria, Polestar
RoR: Calmdown, Goldman, Kohta, Madguard, Magnumforce, Northsorc, Northstar etc
Youtube

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#39 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:51 pm

Hugatsaga wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:42 pm About ranked replica ring:
wargrimnir wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:02 pm Also, as I apparently wasn't clear, we typically don't remove gear outright. All I intended to convey was if ranked were removed, the ability to earn the gear would likely go with it.
Am I understanding this correctly: eventually new players or alts won't be having a chance of getting the ring in future with alternative ways (such as paying 9999 warcrests) and it will be left as only be some sort of "veteran player privilege"?
That's what I would expect if ranked were simply removed as a play mode. I'm not advocating for removal one way or another, I think ranked could work given some core adjustments. People that were present and earned the gear through playing hard mode would get to keep the gear from hard mode. I would not expect to see ranked gear simply dropped into the standard scenario tier of gear as it's explicitly a reward for playing a much harder mode, not randomly pugging 50,000 scenarios. While I wasn't a fan of introducing statted gear in the first place, I do respect the prestige and time investment of the players who earned it. It's not like they don't have BIS gear anyway, and it's not exactly a big shift in power for a ring that has the equivalent of 30 more stats in the grand scheme of balance considerations.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

wonshot

Post#40 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:11 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:51 pm ...and it's not exactly a big shift in power for a ring that has the equivalent of 30 more stats in the grand scheme of balance considerations...
Respect the rest of your post, and thanks for the transparency and communication about this topic.
But I kinda strongly disagree that the acces to 4piece ranked setbonuses are not a big powergab.

Slayer & Choppa being able to get their 130 WS buff from this proc lets them not have to rely on useing their own class buff which reduces their own initiative at the cost of improving their WS.
Same for some of the healer classes, WP & Dok getting a bit of class mechanic resource proc by mixing 4 piece ranked gear in with their sove, a straight upgrade to their previous BiS sov mix where they gain a full extra setbonus, no matter how to evaluate more resouces for a resource heavy class. Same for RP & Zealot getting more ap on heal procs.

The lack of good usage on full sove granted ability allowed for these mixes to become the new BiS, yes some classes have a Strong full invader set, some have a useful 8piece granted ability on sove. But getting a full extra setbonus from mixing ranked ring in with 3 armor pieces is just hands down more stat/proc value for minmaxers.
(for the record i do agree that full sove 8piece granted ability shouldnt be automatical bis and everyone is running the same gear, tahts boring, but some of the abilities are not even worth thinking about if they are worth slotting so the option for running full sove is not even a debate, which is a shame)
Bombling 92BW - Bombthebuilder 82Engi - Bombing 82SL - Bling 81Kobs - Orderling 80WP - Jackinabox 67WH
Gombling 85mSH- Chopling 83Chop - Notbombling 82Sorc - Powerhouse 81Zeal - Goldbag 80Mara - Smurfling 75Sham -Blobling 66BO