Recent Topics

Ads

What is the point?

Let's talk about... everything else
Akalukz

Re: What is the point?

Post#11 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:45 pm

Put in an Easy Button in T1 - Want to learn about your class... take this quest. Want to jump right into the game..take this quest - 16/16
-= Agony =-

Ads
Martok

Post#12 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:03 pm

Akalukz wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:45 pmPut in an Easy Button in T1 - Want to learn about your class... take this quest. Want to jump right into the game..take this quest - 16/16

There is already an easy button in Tier One. It is called playing the game.
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

ceefus

Post#13 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:55 pm

Martok wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:03 pm
Akalukz wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:45 pmPut in an Easy Button in T1 - Want to learn about your class... take this quest. Want to jump right into the game..take this quest - 16/16

Yeah. I gave a large portion of my life to ffxi before its easymode era, and I roll my eyes at calls to make this place any easier. I'm sure others have had similar tooth-cutting experiences with other things, especially considering the userbase here skews a little older than in other places. I see a lot of advice chat though asking to be spoon-fed very simple things and it concerns me for humanity. I believe that the more you make something easier, the more people expect things to be easy, and that this process never ends.

But for OP, t1 is fun. I have max chars and most of them are there. I did/do weeklies for cash until I could support all of them with blue and purple talis and do well in orvr. I haven't done scenarios since live outside of my wife asking for help sometimes so I can't speak to all of their lopsidedness. I live in orvr.
You mentioned a few times being intimidated with aspects of the game. But this is antithetical to having the position of not getting the point of it all. When I'm intimidated by something, I work to free myself of feeling that way. Or, I am not often able to quit, or write something off as irrelevant, something that intimidates me.
The point of this place is the same as in every other rpg. You know how big tech whistleblowers describe the evil algorithms siphoning time and money from unsuspecting users just wanting to play a game?
Something inside you is either addicted, or very much in-tuned with the idea of building something that's your own, from inside an enjoyable ip. You log in every day to push the pixels around in an effort to entertain while watching yourself grow. It's not news, but it's also not any more complicated than that. Ya gotta take it or leave it, and it's no better or worse anywhere else. I'd check out dirk's links if you're staying.

havartii

Post#14 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:49 am

There is a massive imbalance in this game. A lot of people used to be driven by the fact if they spent enough hours they could be the one griefing everyone coming up through the ranks.t1/ t2 / t3/ t4 it does not matter there will always be people over stacking one side to their advantage. Devs try to make some adjustments to facilitate fair game play. But the players will have none of it. Endless hours of farming empty zones and keeps. Stacking premades in solo que sc's and what every they can do to make life miserable for the rest of the server. You think t1 is bad, wait till you have to fight end game gear at lvl 16 with way less abilities and stats and grind through that demoralization for a couple months before you can even compete. There are some days where you get really awesome moments when massive battles happen and it seems there is good population on both sides. But if everything was balanced.. no progress would be made in the meaningless campaign.
Order: 70 AM / 76 RP/ 72 Knight/ 58 WH
Destro: 82 Sham / 79 Zealot/ 70 DoK /70 Magus /68 Mara
Many alts on both sides now ruined by new currency change

malmar

Post#15 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:42 pm

etonsrawi wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:09 pm I have been casually playing RoR for the last few weeks now. I have played a variety of characters up to the teens. Yesterday I had a significant amount of time to play. I made a new Zealot (chaos healer, I think that is what they are called) and played a good amount of scenarios and RvR in tier 1. While I am still currently enjoying the game, I don't know how much longer I will. -Scenarios are steamrolls. Either we get crushed or we crush them. There doesn't seem to be much variety in the gameplay between the different scenarios either. They each seem to be equivalent. -RvR was slow and once again a steamroll. One side or the other would just dominate and sit outside the opposite faction's spawn while they slowly collected supplies to "win". Not really sure if winning is a thing. Also even after one side is absolutely dominating, it seems to take forever for the faction to win with no indication of how much progress they have made. -Questing is very basic. The public quests can be interesting, but that seems very dependent on others being there and there being a challenge. You also seem to out level your quests really fast. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it is not clear if I should jump ahead or if that is appropriate or what. -i haven't yet done any dungeons. In other MMOs this was my favorite aspect, though I am a little intimidated. Also from what I have read and seen, the game seems more focused on PvP than PvE.

I know that I have pretty much only done tier 1 stuff and I am sure it gets a lot better beyond that. Partially, I am a little intimidated by it all. There seems to be "right" things to do, but I don't know what they are. I haven't been very impressed with what I have been able to do so far. Am I missing something? Any resources or advice that would help give me direction and help me understand some of the systems in the game?
don't play alone. find good guild that's active or find couple of players and group with them. solo play is worthwhile only during peak hours when there is a lot of players around. outside of that always group up

Akalukz

Post#16 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:37 pm

Martok wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:03 pm

Not so much when the time zone is dead.
-= Agony =-

Martok

Post#17 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:42 pm

Akalukz wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:37 pmNot so much when the time zone is dead.

Yeah, I understand that concern, of course. My primary motivator in participating with the server is to do what I can to help maintain and increase the player-base. I wish we had more people steadily engaged, however I just feel leveling here is not as difficult or time consuming as it once was.
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

Akalukz

Post#18 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:05 pm

Martok wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:42 pm

Yeah, I understand that concern, of course. My primary motivator in participating with the server is to do what I can to help maintain and increase the player-base. I wish we had more people steadily engaged, however I just feel leveling here is not as difficult or time consuming as it once was.
Agreed, I enjoy the leveling process. It is actually pretty quick, but I have played for years so that helps. For new players, T1 can be a slog if there are no scenarios or ORvR going on. Maybe with the revitaliztion of the PVE PQ rewards, it will help.
-= Agony =-

Ads
Florian90210

Post#19 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:20 pm

rejndjer wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:09 am honestly t1 doesnt tell you much about your class. and when you hit t2/3 worst thing you could do would be to play scenarios and ignore rvr.
it's better to stay in SCs. RvR is too boring and RR80s will :| you with one click. While in SC you can nicely play not being killed literally by 2 spells.

rejndjer
Suspended

Post#20 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:15 am

Martok wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:42 pm

however I just feel leveling here is not as difficult or time consuming as it once was.
i respectfully disagree with you.1) before you could've gotten drop piece of equipment directly, now you need to farm stupid crests, which is ok on healer/tank, while on dps it's nightmare. 2)as guy before you said, now game is pretty much dead, while people at 16+ levels who play are mostly rr80+ sovereigns. wasn't it easier before when sov wasn't ingame, you had fairer chance of fight since gear discrepancy was lower. 3)you only level up fast if you spam scenarios constantly. scenarios xp/rp gain should be reduced 50%. reduce crest gain by 50% as well. if im gonna spam sc constantly i will just delet this game and go play gw2. thanks.
Florian90210 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:20 pm
rejndjer wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:09 am honestly t1 doesnt tell you much about your class. and when you hit t2/3 worst thing you could do would be to play scenarios and ignore rvr.
it's better to stay in SCs. RvR is too boring and RR80s will :| you with one click. While in SC you can nicely play not being killed literally by 2 spells.
SC is just a gamble of who will get better party set up. it's amazing how random class present in scenario can be. yes in rvr rr80s will :| you with one click, but you can also thrive if you play sneaky, attack only when you're against enemy+1 of your ally, destroy enemy boxes (very lucrative when heavily outnumbered) which also gives you extra influence rewards across different maps.