Recent Topics

Ads

Laptop suggestions

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Bueggeroff

Laptop suggestions

Post#1 » Tue May 02, 2023 9:04 am

I'm looking at some options on ebay in the £50-£80 range suitable to run RoR on, any idea if any of these would be suitable?

Lenovo B590 Windows 10 15.6" Laptop Intel i3-3110M 2.4GHz Intel HD Graphics 4000 4GB DVD New 120GB SSD (£70)

Acer Travelmate IP P645 i5-4200U 2.3Ghz 8GB 128SSD Laptop TMP645-M-54208G C (£55)

Dell Latitude 3440 Windows 10 14” Intel i3-4030U 4GB 500GB Webcam DVDRW. (£70)

None seem specific about the graphics cards so I assume theyre using on board graphics. Also no indication on DX9 compatability.

cheers

Ads
Akalukz

Re: Laptop suggestions

Post#2 » Tue May 02, 2023 12:12 pm

The Lenovo could probably run it, but I would see if you could find some Ram to upgrade it to 12 or 16. The drive is a bit small as well at 120GB. I played on a Dell that had the Graphics 4000 but it was an I7 with 16gb ram. (the I7 and Ram probably makes a bigger difference than the video card) With that said the Acer has better cpu/ram but again smaller HD size. Maybe cheaper to upgrade the HD than the other components.

I would probably opt for the Acer personally. If they have a return policy, all the better :)
-= Agony =-

BluIzLucky

Post#3 » Tue May 02, 2023 12:43 pm

Yeah, would also go for the Acer, you need the 8gb to run Windows nowadays, from benchmarks the lenovo does perform 10% better in cpu and 25% better gpu.
But unless you plan on running linux/ubuntu or upgrade Ram (if even possible) 4gbs probably not enough.

Either way, probably not gonna be a great experience even on lowest settings.
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

Bueggeroff

Post#4 » Tue May 02, 2023 1:20 pm

Thanks.

Tbh I thought 120GB was gonna be more than enough as the game only needs something like 15gb space doesnt it? That's the easiest and cheapest issue to solve though with an external SSD.

Of the 3 I was thinking probably the Acer too, mainly as thats i5 and the other two are i3

Ive seen posts saying the game should run on a potato system, but maybe these arent even potato level.

Fwiw a review of the Acer one when it came out had it running WoW and some other fairly high end game (at the time) and the reviewer said it did ok. Im waiting to hear back from the vendor on what GPU it has.

Akalukz

Post#5 » Tue May 02, 2023 2:04 pm

Bueggeroff wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:20 pm Thanks.

Tbh I thought 120GB was gonna be more than enough as the game only needs something like 15gb space doesnt it? That's the easiest and cheapest issue to solve though with an external SSD.

Of the 3 I was thinking probably the Acer too, mainly as thats i5 and the other two are i3

Ive seen posts saying the game should run on a potato system, but maybe these arent even potato level.

Fwiw a review of the Acer one when it came out had it running WoW and some other fairly high end game (at the time) and the reviewer said it did ok. Im waiting to hear back from the vendor on what GPU it has.
As long you don't want to run OH SHINY or all high detail etc you should be ok. Those aren't really recommended in large fights in the first place. I would give the acer a shot, and if you feel comfortable upgrading some RAM try to pick up some
-= Agony =-

Bueggeroff

Post#6 » Tue May 02, 2023 2:33 pm

Looks like the graphics are just the integrated intel HD graphics. But its still a system that came out a few years after the game released so I should get the game working on it ok. Tho as you say probably not with 'oh shiny' graphics.

BluIzLucky

Post#7 » Tue May 02, 2023 3:01 pm

The Acer and Dell has intel graphics 4400 (integrated gpu), lenovo has 4000.
I look at some gpus for minimum spec at the time and they are both better.

And If you are picking up second hand, I'd try to get something more recent (just cus old laptops die for many reasons).

Chinese brands like Hauwei are better value for money (if you don't mind by who they are made)

Also as far as integrated gpus (apus) goes, AMD is just way better value.

So, something like:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275827555074 ... media=COPY

Or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125915019266 ... media=COPY
Anyway, good luck!
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

Bueggeroff

Post#8 » Tue May 02, 2023 3:35 pm

Thanks.

It has to be W10 though as this system's role is also to be the 'guinea pig' for another W10 system I have that I cant afford to take risks with. Im also trying to keep to local vendors I can collect from.

I think I need to shop around a bit more and maybe up my price range a little. Hopefuly opening the parameters up a little throws up better systems that are AMD GPU.

Ads