Recent Topics

Ads

Order RDPS, Dots, and Oil

Let's talk about... everything else
ShadowWar

Order RDPS, Dots, and Oil

Post#1 » Sun May 14, 2023 4:34 pm

I've been back playing for a couple of months, and I remember thinking back to live forever ago where I started playing a SW because I was bored AF in keep sieges as a melee. I had a very similar experience today feeling wholly ineffectual, mostly because I can't do squat to the oil. This got me wondering what my counterparts do. A quick ask around, and apparently DoTs being the only thing to affect oil is a design decision, NOT a bug.

That lead to a little research. I'm going to list ALL DoTs available to the three Order RDPS and their range. I'd love clarity on those who play Engineers and Bright Wizards to tell me which of these actually work. I'm fairly certain that Fireball Barrage, and Focused Fire function like Rapid Fire, but included them in "Doubtful" to count just to be sure. I've also not tested Centuries of Training for the SW on oil to see if it will trigger, but I'm doubtful there too, as all attacks are blocked, so it would never land. Similarly I'm unsure if Lingering Fires allows the two abilities to work on oil. So again, verification of this from those who play them actively would be appreciated.

Bright Wizard
Core
Ignite ..............................100 ft
Detonate...........................80 ft
Flame Breath......................Cone 40 ft
Rain of Fire........................80 ft
Magic Dart.........................100 ft

Spec'd
Withering Heat?..................100 ft
Annihilate.........................30 ft PBAoE
Spreading Flames................80 ft
Wildfire?..........................Tactic: Multiple
Backdraft.........................PBAoE 30 ft

w/ tactic Lingering Fires
Pyroclastic Surge................100 ft
Scorched Earth..................PBAoE 30 ft

Doubtful
Fireball Barrage.................80 ft

Engineer
Core
Friction Burn....................Melee
Acid Bomb.......................65 ft
Incendiary Rounds..............100 ft
Fragmentation Grenade.......65 ft
Signal Flare......................100 ft
Mortar Round....................100 ft

Spec'd
Sticky Bomb......................65 ft
Phosphorous Shells..............80 ft
Napalm Grenade.................65 ft
Lightning Rod.....................30 ft PBAoE

Doubtful
Focused Fire......................100 ft

Shadow Warrior
Core
Broadhead Arrow.................100 ft
Draw Blood........................Melee

Spec'd
Flame Arrow......................65 ft
Shadow Sting.....................65 ft

Doubtful
Rapid Fire........................100 ft
Centuries of Training...........Tactic: Any? (haven't tested)
Last edited by ShadowWar on Sun May 14, 2023 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
Toggle

Re: Order RDPS, Dots, and Oil

Post#2 » Sun May 14, 2023 5:20 pm

ShadowWar wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:34 pm This got me wondering what my counterparts do. A quick ask around, and apparently DoTs being the only thing to affect oil is a design decision, NOT a bug.
I don't believe it has anything to do with DoTs vs. casted. I believe it has to do with damage types. For example, I can toss fireballs at oil all day long, and do, on my BW. Withering heat also works, as does fiery blast. All of those deal some sort of magic damage (i.e. elemental, corporeal, etc.). However, checking rapid fire (don't play SW much), it says "damage" in the tooltip without any further description. This means it's physical damage. If I remember correctly, that's the difference - magic based damage does affect oil whereas physical damage does not.

There are exceptions to the rule though, since thrown weapons (e.g. tanks/mdps tossing axes) will cause damage to the oil and mDPS that have bypassed can cause damage with their attacks, regardless of damage type, as long as they are within melee range of the oil.

However, I could be completely wrong.
Shaman - 40/8X
Zealot - 40/8X [Retired]
AM - 40/8X
RP - 40/7X [Retired]

ShadowWar

Post#3 » Sun May 14, 2023 6:52 pm

Most of a SW DoTs are physical, and work on oil. Flame Arrow is the only exception. All melee also works.

That said, if fireballs (as direct damage), still work on oil, that makes the disparity even worse.

Gladiolix

Post#4 » Mon May 15, 2023 8:59 am

Physical ranged damage gets blocked, everyhthing else should hit (melee physical and all magic damage). Axe tossing etc. thrown weapons count as melee physical, thats why they hit.
LEGION OF PERKELE
Shaman - Gladiolix (rr86)
Black Orc - Oomiestompa (rr85)
Squig Herder - Bluglog (rr85)
Choppa - Poliisi (rr84)

KoBS rr70+, BW rr70+, WP rr60+

bloodaxe

Post#5 » Tue May 16, 2023 4:33 am

Where are AM's Dots'?
Law of Conductivity.....100ft
Radiant Gaze.............100ft
Transfer Force...........100ft
Scatter the winds.......100ft

rejndjer
Suspended

Post#6 » Tue May 16, 2023 6:21 am

ShadowWar wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:52 pm Most of a SW DoTs are physical, and work on oil. Flame Arrow is the only exception. All melee also works.

That said, if fireballs (as direct damage), still work on oil, that makes the disparity even worse.
idk how you came to conclussion that sw physical dots work on oil, when they do NOT. only thing SW can do to oil is flame arrow and festering arrow. so basically. nothing.

Ruin

Post#7 » Tue May 16, 2023 7:41 am

Oil is immune to range physical attacks, so most of Engi rifleman mastery, and most of SW skills are useless. For engineer the grenade build are mostly partially ineffective to, since they don’t have the range to hit Outer Oil, so only AM and BW are capable to do it more less effectively.

What damages oil are: cannons, Melee and magic attacks.

ShadowWar

Post#8 » Fri May 19, 2023 3:38 am

rejndjer wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:21 am
ShadowWar wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:52 pm Most of a SW DoTs are physical, and work on oil. Flame Arrow is the only exception. All melee also works.

idk how you came to conclussion that sw physical dots work on oil, when they do NOT. only thing SW can do to oil is flame arrow and festering arrow. so basically. nothing.
BHA and SS both hit the oil, show as an effect on it, and I see damage numbers. Don't know how else to validate it.

Ads
athanwago

Post#9 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:37 pm

i started playing chosen and tried other mdps but the ping is making playing melee unbearable so i have decided to roll on a RDPS class. Which RDPS class should i roll with and on which faction.

Scottx125

Post#10 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:16 pm

In short any ranged physical doesn't work. Which I've gotta be honest is a bit stupid.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.