Recent Topics

Ads

Firefly, former Mythic Employee

Come and tell us about yourself.
No better way to be part of the community than starting with a brief hello.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Natherul
Developer

Re: Firefly, former Mythic Employee

Post#71 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:48 pm

Welcome Firefly!

Read .ror .rules ingame as well as the TOS.

Sorry about the mess, something went wrong with the hamsters driving this thang.

Ads
Battleshadow666

Post#72 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:11 pm

Natherul wrote:Welcome Firefly!

Read .ror .rules ingame as well as the TOS.

Sorry about the mess, something went wrong with the hamsters driving this thang.
You guys need to feed those poor things.

Firefly

Post#73 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:13 pm

sablasni wrote::lol: welcome Firefly :)

just dont tell Carrie about the server pls
Don't think you've escaped notice. We have a few ex-Mythic alumni/employee groups on Facebook (secret or closed), and a number of ex-devs are following, if not outright playing. I don't know if anyone else has publicly outed themselves but I know for a fact that you guys are definitely on radar.

So, I wasn't aware that you guys had the Dwarf capital. That's pretty bad-ass. Makes me wonder what else you have that we never launched. Anyway, so the story goes, we wanted to include capitals not just for Order and Destruction but also for each race. There was going to be a Chaos capital, a Human capital, a Dwarf capital, a Greenskin capital, and one for each elf faction. It was decided that it would probably be too difficult to get people to concentrate on a particular capital (I didn't make these decisions, before any of the grognards start their bitching at me again) and would work against a cohesive realm trying to invade a capital. Which, in hindsight, was silly since like a day or two after launch we saw Altdorf get capped. Anyway, wasn't my call. We had pretty grand plans.

For the Vampire Counts, that was just something that never ended up happening. We started facing layoffs in early 2009, and after they decided to try and make a couple of spin-off games and projects across various platforms, it ended up splitting the team. Between trying to manage Land of the Dead expansion, avoid layoffs, deal with EA constantly climbing up our ass and telling us how to run our game, plus trying to balance DAoC and UO, and hoping to get another game going, all the while operating on a budget that hadn't increased... it just wasn't in the cards.

That was something I really, really wanted to see. There was a mechanic in discussion where if you got killed by another player, you would end up being undead. There were also talks of Skaven, and I think someone had even pitched playable Skaven. There were some pretty awesome ideas that were being bandied about in meetings, and we had a lot of cool discussions on what we could do.

Battleshadow666

Post#74 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:17 pm

Either way, happy to have you on board Firefly.

Natherul
Developer

Post#75 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:19 pm

Firefly wrote:

Don't think you've escaped notice. We have a few ex-Mythic alumni/employee groups on Facebook (secret or closed), and a number of ex-devs are following, if not outright playing. I don't know if anyone else has publicly outed themselves but I know for a fact that you guys are definitely on radar.

So, I wasn't aware that you guys had the Dwarf capital. That's pretty bad-ass. Makes me wonder what else you have that we never launched. Anyway, so the story goes, we wanted to include capitals not just for Order and Destruction but also for each race. There was going to be a Chaos capital, a Human capital, a Dwarf capital, a Greenskin capital, and one for each elf faction. It was decided that it would probably be too difficult to get people to concentrate on a particular capital (I didn't make these decisions, before any of the grognards start their bitching at me again) and would work against a cohesive realm trying to invade a capital. Which, in hindsight, was silly since like a day or two after launch we saw Altdorf get capped. Anyway, wasn't my call. We had pretty grand plans.

For the Vampire Counts, that was just something that never ended up happening. We started facing layoffs in early 2009, and after they decided to try and make a couple of spin-off games and projects across various platforms, it ended up splitting the team. Between trying to manage Land of the Dead expansion, avoid layoffs, deal with EA constantly climbing up our ass and telling us how to run our game, plus trying to balance DAoC and UO, and hoping to get another game going, all the while operating on a budget that hadn't increased... it just wasn't in the cards.

That was something I really, really wanted to see. There was a mechanic in discussion where if you got killed by another player, you would end up being undead. There were also talks of Skaven, and I think someone had even pitched playable Skaven. There were some pretty awesome ideas that were being bandied about in meetings, and we had a lot of cool discussions on what we could do.
Dwarf capital is not finished or available for player at this point, but its in the files we have :D Who knows one day we might get to open them

Stormslap

Post#76 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:19 pm

Firefly wrote:

So basically had WAR survived into the future we would have potentially seen a third faction is what I'm getting here, I always wondered why it didn't have one, given DAOC, you say a couple of spin off games and projects across various platforms, like what exactly? Because the only spin off I recall was Wrath, and the only platform was pc, how many projects never actually saw the light of day?
GET CUCKED GET CUCKED GET CUCKED GET CUCKED

Fiddlehero

Post#77 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:20 pm

Welcome to the game! Hope you enjoy your time here!
Rychter-Witch Hunter
Valrin-Engineer
Targrimm-Slayer
Norgar-Runepriest
Thyrsis-Shadow Warrior
Freiderick-Bright Wizard
Halgard-Ironbreaker

Firefly

Post#78 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:36 pm

Stormslap wrote:So basically had WAR survived into the future we would have potentially seen a third faction is what I'm getting here, I always wondered why it didn't have one, given DAOC, you say a couple of spin off games and projects across various platforms, like what exactly? Because the only spin off I recall was Wrath, and the only platform was pc, how many projects never actually saw the light of day?
Not so much a third faction (although that was brought up, having Skaven as one-half of a third faction that could be at odds with Order and Destruction) but rather a new set of playable races. However, aside from manpower it was a question of which factions to introduce, and how to match them -- Dwarves vs Greenskins, Dark Elves vs High Elves, Humans vs Chaos... what could we match? So they were looking at more Land of the Dead type of stuff as an option for introducing new races -- so rather than having, just for example, Bretonnians vs Vampire Counts, it could also just have been its own area like LotD. We had so many ideas, it was more along the lines of "if we have the funding and resources, WHEN and not IF." Nothing was really off the table, it was more of a question of when. But once we started facing layoffs, and the company's leadership changed hands several times, it became obvious that things were going to go into maintenance mode.

I'm honestly really, REALLY glad the team here is carrying the torch forward. So many talented people who never had a hand in business decisions put a lot of work into this game. I've played probably two dozen MMOs in my life, and I've worked on four MMOs as well as other single-player games, and frankly nothing has ever felt like WAR. That you guys are still playing the game is amazing to me, and that there exists a chance [however slim] to bring you guys content we never did, or never could...

... I'm not gonna lie, it's moving AF. I spent half my adult life as an Army infantryman, been in shithole countries, seen a lot of tragic ****. Not much fazes me anymore. But I'm moved to the point where I'm getting misty-eyed that this team here is carrying on.

Ads
JoryGlory

Post#79 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:11 pm

Firefly wrote:Not much fazes me anymore. But I'm moved to the point where I'm getting misty-eyed that this team here is carrying on.
I can fully agree that and i feel the same at that point as you do. So big thanks to you for sharing your Information as an former Mythic Employee and to the Dev`s/GM`s of RoR for there hard work/time.

I wish you all an nice day/evening :D
Bla Blub :o

Epo

Post#80 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:28 pm

Firefly wrote: As a rule I tend not to tell people what I do/did, simply because I'm not interested in more neckbeards singling me out any more than they already are.
Just curious why you bothered to mention it in the thread title then? You should expect a lot of toxicity towards you from this community when it comes to that sadly. Do you have any proof you are who you claim to be or just a claim? Just curious is all.