Recent Topics

Ads

[RP & RVR EVENT] The High King versus The Warlord

The latest news from the battlefront.
Find out what the developers are working on.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Amidala
Former Staff

Re: [RP & RVR EVENT] The High King versus The Warlord

Post#151 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:16 pm

Natherul wrote:
saupreusse wrote:
Amidala wrote:SO FUNNY!!! I want more events like this!Ty devs ty BT <3
Dc'ed 4 times but i did a lot of rp :lol: :lol: ''KILL THE FAT GREENSKIN!''
Im not fat!
He´be talkin´bout me gitface!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Praag is too small for u greenskins!
(She*)
Ye vote for me my dwarfes friends!

Princess Amidala Estellanor

--Tilean Warlords--Amidala AM-Drafalgar SM
--Hammer Kult--Amidalina ZE

Ads
StormX2
Game Master

Post#152 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:40 pm

Had a HELL of a lot of fun yesterday. So glad I was off from work and able to join in!

unfortunately, when we had about 500 people in screen, poor server couldn't handle it.

But at 400 its wasn't so bad. pretty steady 25 fps. The next time we might need to think about a better way to organize the fight and split things up.

Bit disappointed in the way people were reacting after the event was over. Dev's and GM's put a lot of personal time and effort into this, show a bit more respect next time.

Noergl

Post#153 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:43 pm

@ indiscreet jewels:
I just wanted to clarivy a few things, at least how i observe them:
Community: you are right, this is a relatively small community. But nevertheless you got a lot of different opinions about what this game is, should be, should be played, is going to be etc.
-You got Zerg vs organized wb vs 6man vs singleplayer.
-You got the hardcore roleplayers vs the “not-so-hardcore” rps vs the “they are annoying nerds” vs the “rp is bs and should be shoved out” players.
-You got “I play for fun” vs “I want to be the best” vs “I want rewards given as candy on xmas” vs “to easy” opinions.
-You got “buff my class” vs “nerf them” vs “engie is totally OP” ideas.
-You got “I love events” vs “events only for rewards” vs “piss off you lot I cant play anymore because of lag” vs “event, but without dev involvement” vs “gimme gimme gimme, why should I do that”.
-You got “big fights, yeeehaaaw” vs “small fights are more fun”.
-You got “leaders should lead me” vs “you cant order me around you git”.
-You got “my group/wb above all” vs “me me me”.

I could go on, but I think ive made my point. To many people play for many different reasons. You never ever will and can please everyone. So you must try to walk a very small path…

The first part for example was intended as a sort of military parade. Planned for watching of theater. What happened? Lot of people enjoyed it. Lot of people hated it. Lot of people had nothing better to do than disturb it and try to disrupt the whole thing, because they personally don’t like that. They just could have gone elsewhere, but no, taking the fun out of it for others was their main goal.

Then the rvr part… look at my points above. Also, if the “dev chars” had acted more, then there would have been cries of “op” and “unfair”, had they acted less “why were they even there?”.

Look at the normal rvr going on everyday. In random wbs the majority aren’t willing to follow someone who tries to lead them, they just are resistant to anything that they personally wouldn’t do anyway.

Organising something like that isn’t a small task. So I think its great that people do that. But more often? Difficult at best. I organised events for gamers in rl and in vr, i worked in the gaming industry for over 16 years and my experience would be; time intensive and never pleasing to everyone participating, you have to try everytime just to do it a little better than before, just a little more enjoyable for more people than the last one.

I had the opportunity with some devs and my friends here to take part in two of the small and spontaneous “Legends of Warhammer” event. Want to know what happened?
One evening I was playing Felix, it was nice to rp with some surprised players. We got lot of positive feedback. But we also received trash talk by others who feeled disturbed in “their” gaming. On the other occasion I tried to take some video footage for us to analyze what could be done better, what worked, what not. Ive gotten reported a lot because I was there, invisible, only with a name tag above my had. I did nothing to anyone, I tried not to stand in anybodys path, but even when declaring to them over and over again in private chats what I was doing some people were not satisfied by that and smelled something fishy was going on. And others reported Felix (played by a dev) to other devs, because he would try to motivate order players to leave their wc and fight.

What I wanted to tell you is the gaming community in general and also in this project is very divers on nearly everything when their own personal opinion is affected. Don´t expect to much.. and don´t expect it to soon… but there will be more, im sure of that.
Lorekeeper Noergl Morgrimsfind & Sgt.Maj.Finvjer Hugnirsson
(Co-leader of 3rd Bitterstone Thunderers)

Dresden
Banned

Post#154 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:45 pm

StormX2 wrote:Had a HELL of a lot of fun yesterday. So glad I was off from work and able to join in!

unfortunately, when we had about 500 people in screen, poor server couldn't handle it.

But at 400 its wasn't so bad. pretty steady 25 fps. The next time we might need to think about a better way to organize the fight and split things up.

Bit disappointed in the way people were reacting after the event was over. Dev's and GM's put a lot of personal time and effort into this, show a bit more respect next time.
Respect is deserved where it is due.

They've had plenty.

#MoreForethoughtLessPhilosophising
. -= Cult Of Chaos =- GUILD -= Cult Leader =- . -= Kagaz Wrathson - The Decioblidevannihilator - Black Orc =- .
. -= Dresden RoR Info - 4 pins and counting! =- . #WAAAGH ^_^ #AllSilenceIsGolden @_Q

peterthepan3

Post#155 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:57 pm

Have to empathise with Storm: so many people moaning about not receiving a reward. I didn't even partake in the event, but respected Nath/Gummy for doing it and wouldn't dare to moan about not getting a vanity item.

Sums up the community though.

blaqwar

Post#156 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:00 pm

Dresden wrote:
StormX2 wrote:Had a HELL of a lot of fun yesterday. So glad I was off from work and able to join in!

They've had plenty.

Whining about people putting their free time into something for others to enjoy (SHOULD THEY WANT TO).

If you don't have anything nice to say it's better to not say anything at all. :roll:

Dresden
Banned

Post#157 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:15 pm

blaqwar wrote:
Dresden wrote:

They've had plenty.

Whining about people putting their free time into something for others to enjoy (SHOULD THEY WANT TO).

If you don't have anything nice to say it's better to not say anything at all. :roll:
What did i not make clear for you? nevermind, YOU WIN.
. -= Cult Of Chaos =- GUILD -= Cult Leader =- . -= Kagaz Wrathson - The Decioblidevannihilator - Black Orc =- .
. -= Dresden RoR Info - 4 pins and counting! =- . #WAAAGH ^_^ #AllSilenceIsGolden @_Q

StormX2
Game Master

Post#158 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:17 pm

Dresden your wording seems to be confusing to some ;p

Ads
Dresden
Banned

Post#159 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:20 pm

StormX2 wrote:Dresden your wording seems to be confusing to some ;p
If i could just stick to making my info posts... ><

IndiscreetJewels

Post#160 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:40 pm

Noergl wrote:@ indiscreet jewels:
Spoiler:
I just wanted to clarivy a few things, at least how i observe them:
Community: you are right, this is a relatively small community. But nevertheless you got a lot of different opinions about what this game is, should be, should be played, is going to be etc.
-You got Zerg vs organized wb vs 6man vs singleplayer.
-You got the hardcore roleplayers vs the “not-so-hardcore” rps vs the “they are annoying nerds” vs the “rp is bs and should be shoved out” players.
-You got “I play for fun” vs “I want to be the best” vs “I want rewards given as candy on xmas” vs “to easy” opinions.
-You got “buff my class” vs “nerf them” vs “engie is totally OP” ideas.
-You got “I love events” vs “events only for rewards” vs “piss off you lot I cant play anymore because of lag” vs “event, but without dev involvement” vs “gimme gimme gimme, why should I do that”.
-You got “big fights, yeeehaaaw” vs “small fights are more fun”.
-You got “leaders should lead me” vs “you cant order me around you git”.
-You got “my group/wb above all” vs “me me me”.

I could go on, but I think ive made my point. To many people play for many different reasons. You never ever will and can please everyone. So you must try to walk a very small path…

The first part for example was intended as a sort of military parade. Planned for watching of theater. What happened? Lot of people enjoyed it. Lot of people hated it. Lot of people had nothing better to do than disturb it and try to disrupt the whole thing, because they personally don’t like that. They just could have gone elsewhere, but no, taking the fun out of it for others was their main goal.

Then the rvr part… look at my points above. Also, if the “dev chars” had acted more, then there would have been cries of “op” and “unfair”, had they acted less “why were they even there?”.

Look at the normal rvr going on everyday. In random wbs the majority aren’t willing to follow someone who tries to lead them, they just are resistant to anything that they personally wouldn’t do anyway.

Organising something like that isn’t a small task. So I think its great that people do that. But more often? Difficult at best. I organised events for gamers in rl and in vr, i worked in the gaming industry for over 16 years and my experience would be; time intensive and never pleasing to everyone participating, you have to try everytime just to do it a little better than before, just a little more enjoyable for more people than the last one.

I had the opportunity with some devs and my friends here to take part in two of the small and spontaneous “Legends of Warhammer” event. Want to know what happened?
One evening I was playing Felix, it was nice to rp with some surprised players. We got lot of positive feedback. But we also received trash talk by others who feeled disturbed in “their” gaming. On the other occasion I tried to take some video footage for us to analyze what could be done better, what worked, what not. Ive gotten reported a lot because I was there, invisible, only with a name tag above my had. I did nothing to anyone, I tried not to stand in anybodys path, but even when declaring to them over and over again in private chats what I was doing some people were not satisfied by that and smelled something fishy was going on. And others reported Felix (played by a dev) to other devs, because he would try to motivate order players to leave their wc and fight.

What I wanted to tell you is the gaming community in general and also in this project is very divers on nearly everything when their own personal opinion is affected. Don´t expect to much.. and don´t expect it to soon… but there will be more, im sure of that.

I hope my post didn't come off as if I had sour taste after the event or regrets spending time in it. If so, that wasn't my intention at all, and I've failed to communicate it properly. As an experiment, I think it was a major success.I enjoyed the event, and the things I mention under 'The Bad' are what, in my opinion, is something to keep in mind when (or if) working on another event. I also tried to provide context for my perspective as a particular type of player.

I agree that there are many types of players and that it isn't possible to satisfy all of them at the same time. But, I think, there are things that affect all of these players at the same time, that can be worked on. For example, I think it's safe to say that no player wants to play with lag. My guess was that lag was a direct consequence of the massive zerg and I tried to provide my opinion on why there was a zerg and what could be done about it in future. Of course, these are just some quick ideas that were at the top of my head at the time of writing and ignores completely the technical side of things. Simply because I know nothing of it. Maybe there is a technical solution to support such concentration of players in one place, but my assumption was that there isn't or that the things I mentioned are easier to do than implication of said technical solution.

I also think that you are overly pessimistic about the policing capabilities of organizers during such events in communities like this, where 'hands on' approach is possible. A few suspensions later people who don't enjoy the event would probably just decide to do something else instead of willingly sabotaging it. Hell, you could even make a RP thing, giving the leaders some OP ability to police the ones unwilling to follow them in orderly fashion. It'd be very fitting, at least if we are talking about Greenskins.
I see your concern about overall cooperation of player base during such events. It is always a danger, since there are no real consequences to being a **** online. I, however, didn't see it as an issue during this event. At least on Destro side, people were very willing to cooperate, although, as I said, there wasn't much required if them.

About the military parade part: I guessed so. My point was that there was not much to it and that it could've easily been a lot better if the Leaders had something to say/do, instead of just standing or walking around. You could say that this is too much to ask, and I agree in a sense, but I think it's worth noting anyway.

Thanks for the reply!