Recent Topics

Ads

Launcher Issue - possibly certificate related

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Install Guide first.
Forum rules
READ THE INSTALL GUIDE BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
Skullgrin

Re: Launcher Issue - possibly certificate related

Post#31 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:55 pm

dolleater wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:38 pm If you are using windows XP, which is a non-maintained operating system, it could be the issue - the simplest way would be to test the launcher from the same network, but from a win 7 and up system.

Is the system windows XP SP3?

It's actually XP running the unofficial SP4. :P

Will test on a newer OS tonight and see...
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88
Thargrimmm - Ironbreaker 40/80

Ads
Skullgrin

Post#32 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:29 am

Hey guess what! The problem is that the new server is blocking any Windows XP machine from connecting. I put the game on a portable USB drive and tried running it on a Windows 8 desktop and and a Windows 7 laptop, with both successfully having all green for the connection status. Unfortunately, this does nothing to help my situation as I do not have full time access to the win8 desktop and playing on the laptop would be insanely annoying after about 15 minutes. I also don't have the funds to spare right now for a newer system and upgrading the OS on this old beast is problematic. Might look into running linux as a dual boot, but I haven't messed with it in years and have never gamed on it.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help out in this thread, even tho it was ultimately unsuccessful - it goes to show what a great community this is. :D

Ah well, hopefully someone on the dev team will see this and possibly rectify the situation. Until then, happy hunting everyone!
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88

undeadbilly

Post#33 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:17 pm

So that is the problem.I also have XP.Hope devs can do something about that.And thanks everybody.

MaxHayman
Management

Post#34 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:18 am

can you go to https://launcher.returnofreckoning.com in IE and see if it throws any certificate errors
Max Hayman

RuffRyder

Post#35 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:35 am

If it's related to XP it may be that XP doesn't get updates for root authorities and revocation lists anymore. I can't collect much information due to being on mobile, but if that's the case it may either help importing the root ca manually, or it's one certificate parameter (like key encryption size) that XP doesn't accept (anymore).

Get rid of XP guys, just my 2 cent.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. (Mark Twain)

saupreusse
Developer

Post#36 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:26 pm

Without knowing anything about the issue: isnt it possible to run different windows versions on one system? Im pretty sure my bro used to do this when his old xp games like master of orion wouldnt launch.

RuffRyder

Post#37 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:06 pm

You are right saupreusse, best practice is to install the different versions starting with the oldest, because newer versions recognize the old boot records easier. But you need either a different unpartitioned free space or other hard disk, so repartitioning an old XP installation may need some 3rd party tool.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. (Mark Twain)

Skullgrin

Post#38 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:18 pm

MaxHayman wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:18 am can you go to https://launcher.returnofreckoning.com in IE and see if it throws any certificate errors

Going there using IE gives the following error -
There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.
We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

When I continue on to the site I get a 403 forbidden error and the certificate error is a Mismatched Address error.

Edit: Found an article about it here https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-certific ... error.html no clue if that would help at all.
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88

Ads
Skullgrin

Post#39 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:00 pm

Any updates regarding the server rejecting Win XP connections? I have been ill the past week and haven't been keeping up on stuff appearing on the forums...
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88